The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Geography (Human) 18th June 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by simsid
its unlikely that it will be local UK tourism such as weymouth as that case study question came up in last years exam

I think it could be extreme or Eco :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Parente
Eco-tourism is the section but there has been a previous question on just sustainable development. E.g. Im doing Angsana resort in the maldives, an example could be - Guests can voluntarily contribute $1.00 per night on the island which will go directly towards conservation schemes such as saving the endangered turltes so the turtles can be enjoyed by future generations
The emphasis is on the conservation and future generations. It sounds stupid but you MUST talk about future generations to gain marks in sustainable development even if it sounds like crap, like mine does ^

Oh I'm doing tataquara lodge the amazon so i would say like 'it uses solar power to run lights rather than burning fossil fuels. This means also resources aren't used up so more resources are available for future generations' something like that ?:smile:

Original post by Melissajanex
Where's the specifications?

http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/newgcse/pdf/AQA-4030-W-SP.PDF
Reply 83
Original post by chaza01
hey, got any tips for birmingham? As in, what are the keys things? cheers. Oh and what are the case studies needed for changing urban environments?
Thanks a lot!

Ok this is what Im learning:
Inner city redevelopment: London Docklands
CBD redevelopment: Birmingham (I think one of these will come up)
Traffic solutions: Chester
Shanty town self help scheme: Rocinha, Rio de Janeiro
Site and service scheme: Nairobi, Kenya
Local authority scheme: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
MEDC sustainable living: BedZED
LEDC sustainable living: Curitiba, Brazil

I don't think you need to know all these but this is what my teacher taught us so if a question on any of these come up (which it could) even if its a 4 marker, it means we can give examples. We were told to learn an LEDC and an MEDC sustainable living case study but thats not in the specification
Reply 84
I've never been taught about a udc?

I'm not sure if you need to know it in a lot of detail but in the specification it says 'Impact of Government strategies from the 1990s on the inner city' so maybe you could use any case study for any inner city redevelopment? like Manchester?

I remember in one geog exam - it asked about redevelopment but it gave you a choice of four..I think there was city challenge and a udc but I don't really remember the others :s-smilie:

Here's London Dockland:

London Docklands

Economic Regeneration: (jobs and industry)

Employment doubled between 1981 and 1996

Businesses increased from 1000 in 1981 to 2400 in 1996

Unemployment rate fell to 9.5%

It attracted high-tech firms such as the Stock Exchange, Limehouse ITV, and the Guardian

76% in the Canary Wharf business complex had been let

Economic Regeneration: (transport)

Improved transport links - now central London could be reached in 10minutes

DLR connected to the underground system

DLR carries 320,000 commuters

135km of new roads built including a link to the M11

City Airport built

Social Regeneration: (housing)

19,800 new houses built (regenerated from old warehouses)

7,900 council houses were refurbished

Proportion of owner occupied houses increased from 5% to 40%

Social Regeneration (facilities)

New shopping centres have been developed

£100mill spent on health, education, training, and community programmes

New parks, post-16 colleges, indoor sports centre and a marina for water sports has been developed

Physical/Environmental Regeneration:

200,000 trees planted

17 conservation areas created

260 hectares of derelict land reclaimed

150 hectares of open space created

But I doubt you'd need to know it in so much detail..we just have a crazy geog teacher :tongue:

EDIT: Thanks to Parente :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 85
Oh I'm doing tataquara lodge the amazon so i would say like 'it uses solar power to run lights rather than burning fossil fuels. This means also resources aren't used up so more resources are available for future generations' something like that ?:smile:

Yep, exactly like that. Try to use 4 points like that if its an 8 marker and 3 if its a 6 marker. A question came up about this possibly in 2010 but it was only a 4 marker so it could come up as an 8!! If it doesnt ask about sustinable development but does ask about eco-tourism, put in that point still but it also wants you to talk about the economy etc.
Reply 86
UDC- urban development corporations. Mainly 1980/90s. Public Private investments to redevelop inner city areas. example London Docklands. New housing, infrastructure, Docklands light railway etc. On the examiners reports they indicated that the City Challenge would have been preferable as UDC now considered old considering they were in the 80/90s! Some details however! 431 ha land for redevelopment. New roads built. New homes , cycle routes, pedestrianised areas, shopping centre,water parks, bird sanctuary.

City Challenge , local authorities had to develop a proposal for improving a local area. They basically had to bid for funding against other local authorities. Best bid won. Had to become part of a partnership, local community and private companies! Example Hulme City Challenge 1992, Manchester. Grant of £37.5 million. Holistic approach to regeneration. Old 1960s houses demolished. New homes built that were designed to conserve energy and be energy efficient. Building of local schools, parks, leisure facilities, offices and shops. Included provision of open spaces, green areas, planting of trees.

Sustainable Community, Offers housing, employment, transport and recreation that is in balance with the environment and offers a good quality of life. Just remember the characteristics of sustainable communities/cities and that covers everything you need to write about! Examples could be Cardroom Manchester, Leeds Greenhouse or any you have covered in school.

very brief but might help!
Reply 87
Original post by SlimySnail
I'm not sure if you need to know it in a lot of detail but in the specification it says 'Impact of Government strategies from the 1990s on the inner city' so maybe you could use any case study for any inner city redevelopment? like Manchester?

I remember in one geog exams it asked about redevelopment but it gave you a choice of four..I think there was city challenge and a udc but I don't really remember the others :s-smilie:

Here's London Dockland:

London Docklands

Economic Regeneration: (jobs and industry)

Employment doubled between 1981 and 1996

Businesses increased from 1000 in 1981 to 2400 in 1996

Unemployment rate fell to 9.5%

It attracted high-tech firms such as the Stock Exchange, Limehouse ITV, and the Guardian

76% in the Canary Wharf business complex had been let

Economic Regeneration: (transport)

Improved transport links - now central London could be reached in 10minutes

DLR connected to the underground system

DLR carries 320,000 commuters

135km of new roads built including a link to the M11

City Airport built

Social Regeneration: (housing)

19,800 new houses built (regenerated from old warehouses)

7,900 council houses were refurbished

Proportion of owner occupied houses increased from 5% to 40%

Social Regeneration (facilities)

New shopping centres have been developed

£100mill spent on health, education, training, and community programmes

New parks, post-16 colleges, indoor sports centre and a marina for water sports has been developed

Physical/Environmental Regeneration:

160,000 trees planted

17 conservation areas created

728 hectares of derelict land reclaimed

130,000 hectares of open space created

But I doubt you'd need to know it in so much detail..we just have a crazy geog teacher :tongue:

You realise that 130 000 hectares of open space equals about 13000km squared, which is like larger than the UK perhaps? I learnt that 2000 trees were planted, 150 hectares of open space created and 260 hectares of derelict land reclaimed
Reply 88
Original post by Parente
You realise that 130 000 hectares of open space equals about 13000km squared, which is like larger than the UK perhaps? I learnt that 2000 trees were planted, 150 hectares of open space created and 260 hectares of derelict land reclaimed

Ugh! Thanks for telling me... I have no idea why my figures are so dodgy :s-smilie:
Original post by Parente

1 hectare = 0.01 km squared
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hectare
Reply 90
I think it could be extreme or Eco :smile:

what do you mean by extreme or eco? a extreme or eco case study would appear? :smile:
Human Geo is a lot lot easier than physical, less content and more opportunity to BS if needed

=D

Case studies i think will come up is extreme environments, de-industrialisation and coping with an ageing pop

(for the topics that i am doing)
Reply 92
Ugh! Thanks for telling me... I have no idea why my figures are so dodgy :s-smilie:

The rest are fine, I have a lot of the rest, just thos environmental ones haha 130,000 hectares haha, I think anyone would be proud if they lived in an arear of 130,000 hectares of free space, could be possible in Russia?
Reply 93

If they ask about Docklands do you know if they will call it inner city redevelopment or use a crappy abbreviation like UCD or city challenge or whatever?
Original post by simsid
what do you mean by extreme or eco? a extreme or eco case study would appear? :smile:

Yes, sorry for shortening it:smile:

Reply 95
Original post by Parente
Ok this is what Im learning:
Inner city redevelopment: London Docklands
CBD redevelopment: Birmingham (I think one of these will come up)
Traffic solutions: Chester
Shanty town self help scheme: Rocinha, Rio de Janeiro
Site and service scheme: Nairobi, Kenya
Local authority scheme: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
MEDC sustainable living: BedZED
LEDC sustainable living: Curitiba, Brazil

I don't think you need to know all these but this is what my teacher taught us so if a question on any of these come up (which it could) even if its a 4 marker, it means we can give examples. We were told to learn an LEDC and an MEDC sustainable living case study but thats not in the specification

Hey, thanks a lot! However, would it be possible to give me a few tips for birmingham? :biggrin: cheers
Reply 96
Original post by Parente
If they ask about Docklands do you know if they will call it inner city redevelopment or use a crappy abbreviation like UCD or city challenge or whatever?

To be honest, I have no idea... but they haven't actually stated which redevelopment scheme to use in their spec so hopefully they wouldn't do it in the actual exam..
Reply 97
Original post by chaza01
Hey, thanks a lot! However, would it be possible to give me a few tips for birmingham? :biggrin: cheers

Ah, ok its good revision for me. If Birgmingham comes up (CBD redevelopment) i will write something similar to this, you have to makesure to use figures!

Firstly an area of warehouses called 'Brindley place' were redeveloped costing around £500 million, this involved building structures next to the cannal such as office blocks and housing. This increased employment in the area and as a result improved the economy. An average family home now costs around £200,000. Also in 2002 Millenium point was opened as part of the Eastside development costing £115 million. It contains tenants such as Birmingham's thinktank science museum and the faculty of technology, engineering and the environment. This is now a major attraction and helps bring millions of visitors every year which spend money and benefit the local economy. Millenium point also helps bring some of Birmingham's 24,000 univserity students. Finally, Birmingham's bullring was redeveloped costing £550 million but created 80,000 jobs, this again improves employment in the area and therefore the economy. Also the Bullring contains 140 major shops including a flagship selfridges with an unusual deisgn. This variety of shops helps to bring in a healthy amount of visitors - an estimated 35 million every year. Though special attention was given to the modern design of the Bullring to attract visitors as this was part of its previous letdown.

Yeah, unless its an 8 marker, i wont fit all that in, but thats what examiners are looking for I hope :smile: Just remember some key facts.
Reply 98
Just remember, ANYTHING could come up, it could be repeated, just because they had it last year doesnt mean it couldn't come up again. Sustainable livng has came up on both the changing urban environments papers so far as an 8 marker, which is a shame because I like that question :frown:
What a non birth control policy?:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending