The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Geography (Human) 18th June 2012

Scroll to see replies

Hey guys! Anyone doing Development, Population & Tourism? 😊

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
I was surfing through Al-Jazeera's news site a couple of days back & found this shirt documentary on Mass tourism in Bali. It's brilliant- doesn't hurt to learn excess info, right?

http://www.aljazeera.com/programmes/101east/2012/06/20126613558279251.html

It talks little of strategies but the impacts are there, both negative and positive.

*Short documentary. Typo, oops.

Reply 103
Original post by Melissajanex
What a non birth control policy?:smile:

Look for Kerela, India in the AQA book, its basically not using any harsh methods like the 1CP, just encourages people
Original post by slaughterthedaises
Hey guys! Anyone doing Development, Population & Tourism?

I am! :smile: How're you finding them?
For the changing urban evironments section, could you use the London Docklands Development Corporation as an example of a CBD redevelopment? If not, what examples are you using? Thanks.
Original post by Cllr Ben AM
For the changing urban evironments section, could you use the London Docklands Development Corporation as an example of a CBD redevelopment? If not, what examples are you using? Thanks.

I think London Docklands is for Inner City Redevelopment; for CBD, I'm using Birmingham

The question will be:

"Using a case study, write about how Government Strategies have been used to develop an area of the city"

It won't say "UDC/City Challenge/CBD Redevelopment" as everyone did different things
Original post by SlimySnail
I think London Docklands is for Inner City Redevelopment; for CBD, I'm using Birmingham

Thanks for your help. Can you give me some details on Birmingham, please?
In fact.. for CBD - all you really need is: "Location, Function and how it can be revitalised by improving the physical environemtn"
Reply 110

If you had to choose one, which would you choose? Im not sure whether to use Docklands or Birmingham because I agree, I think it will be general, I think I would choose Birmingham
Reply 111

I wrote like an essay on the previous page for someone else haha about Birmingham
Original post by Parente
If you had to choose one, which would you choose? Im not sure whether to use Docklands or Birmingham because I agree, I think it will be general, I think I would choose Birmingham

I will use London Docklands as it is all I have learnt.. but either or..

As long as you can hammer down facts and support the points to show how it improved.. it doesn't really matter
Original post by Parente

I would choose Docklands, purely because I didn't even realise there was a CBD redevelopment until about 10 minutes ago and then I frantically revise from you notes xD

On the previous page, Parente had some notes on CBD redevelopment ... but since its probably a broad question, you could just revise London Docklands
Reply 115
I would choose Docklands, purely because I didn't even realise there was a CBD redevelopment until about 10 minutes ago and then I frantically revise from you notes xD

Ahaha, so perhpas my notes came in handy? The only reason I'd choose Birmingham is because I have answered a made up question on it before - the essay I wrote before :smile: As long as you use facts it doesnt matter. I absolutely detest shanty towns!! They better not come up!!
And by the way, before I think I said 2000 trees planted for Docklands? I typed it in wrong it was 200,000 like I think you said? Thats a flippin load of trees that is!!
Original post by Parente
Ahaha, so perhpas my notes came in handy? The only reason I'd choose Birmingham is because I have answered a made up question on it before - the essay I wrote before :smile: As long as you use facts it doesnt matter. I absolutely detest shanty towns!! They better not come up!!
And by the way, before I think I said 2000 trees planted for Docklands? I typed it in wrong it was 200,000 like I think you said? Thats a flippin load of trees that is!!

Yep ;D Although now I might as well just toss them in the bin and focus on London Docklands. I hate shanty towns too but I love sustainable cities.. such a pity they came up twice before D:

Ahh.. too many figures.. I tempted to just make them up in the test since everyone seems to have something different D:
Reply 117
Original post by Parente
Ah, ok its good revision for me. If Birgmingham comes up (CBD redevelopment) i will write something similar to this, you have to makesure to use figures!

Firstly an area of warehouses called 'Brindley place' were redeveloped costing around £500 million, this involved building structures next to the cannal such as office blocks and housing. This increased employment in the area and as a result improved the economy. An average family home now costs around £200,000. Also in 2002 Millenium point was opened as part of the Eastside development costing £115 million. It contains tenants such as Birmingham's thinktank science museum and the faculty of technology, engineering and the environment. This is now a major attraction and helps bring millions of visitors every year which spend money and benefit the local economy. Millenium point also helps bring some of Birmingham's 24,000 univserity students. Finally, Birmingham's bullring was redeveloped costing £550 million but created 80,000 jobs, this again improves employment in the area and therefore the economy. Also the Bullring contains 140 major shops including a flagship selfridges with an unusual deisgn. This variety of shops helps to bring in a healthy amount of visitors - an estimated 35 million every year. Though special attention was given to the modern design of the Bullring to attract visitors as this was part of its previous letdown.

Yeah, unless its an 8 marker, i wont fit all that in, but thats what examiners are looking for I hope :smile: Just remember some key facts.

Thanks a lot!
Original post by Parente
Look for Kerela, India in the AQA book, its basically not using any harsh methods like the 1CP, just encourages people

So France and Italy?

Reply 119
Yep ;D Although now I might as well just toss them in the bin and focus on London Docklands. I hate shanty towns too but I love sustainable cities.. such a pity they came up twice before D:

Ahh.. too many figures.. I tempted to just make them up in the test since everyone seems to have something different D:

Yeah, I asked my teacher, 'Surely we don't need this many case studies?' But she said it could come up, it never has so we don't know what they will ask. I get all the figures mixed up with shanty towns, I have learnt 3 case studies for it. I dont want a crappy shanty town question like, 'How have local authorites improved the homes of people living in shanty towns?' That will be so crap, I love sustainable living but yeah, its not going to come up! Im just hoping its a CBD/inner city 8 marker! But I still think there will be a shanty town 6 marker

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending