The Student Room Group

Should all children under the age of 18 have a curfew by 11PM?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Snagprophet
Is that what you think?

Yes. It's also the law, so regardless of what I think you shouldn't be drinking alcohol in a pub anyway, unless it's with a meal.
Original post by sarahthegemini
:lolwut: They're not caged beasts for crying out loud.

I'm talking about those kids that are monsters. It was a joke basically.
Original post by SpicyStrawberry
Yes. It's also the law, so regardless of what I think you shouldn't be drinking alcohol in a pub anyway, unless it's with a meal.

Well I am over 18 now so I think you'll find the law has no business.
Well I am over 18 now so I think you'll find the law has no business.

You are now, but if you were under 18 when you went to the pub late at night to go drinking then the law certainly does.
You are now, but if you were under 18 when you went to the pub late at night to go drinking then the law certainly does.

Well it looks like that it didn't stop me, doesn't it?
Well it looks like that it didn't stop me, doesn't it?

Do you want a medal? Generally the police don't get involved, the pubs/clubs just refuse to serve you if you're found to be underage.
Reply 66

I think its quite amusing how you allow the "law" to manipulate your morals and judgement. Just because its written down and passed through our commons doesn't necessarily make it right.

For example Terrorism Laws, Stop and Search Powers (PACE) ect.
Whats written on these document doesn't always consitute as "ethical practise"
I don't think so.
Reply 68
Original post by iamjeeoh
I think its quite amusing how you allow the "law" to manipulate your morals and judgement. Just because its written down and passed through our commons doesn't necessarily make it right.

For example Terrorism Laws, Stop and Search Powers (PACE) ect.
Whats written on these document doesn't always consitute as "ethical practise"

Personally I think the drinking age should be increased to 21 years.

A lot of people are not mature enough.
Reply 69
Original post by Iron Lady

I disagree. If you'e noticed the more and more the British government try to restrict a person ability to do something the more determined they are to do it. Just because you raise the drinking age to 21 doesn't mean that "YOUNG PEOPLE" will not find ways of getting alcohol. Just because you are of a certain age does not explicitly determine your maturity.

For example, individual A could be a "wack" 25 year old who constantly on the dole and thinks getting a job is really unimportant, where as individual B could be a 17 year old mum or dad fully capable or managing a family and working life.

Im all for being able to drink at any age so long as you act responsible and respectful.
Reply 70

Also I'd like to add that there is nothing in law that can determine maturity. Maturity is based on values and ethics which vary from person to person.
Reply 71
nomination for worst thread of the year
Original post by Pink Gravy
What do you think of this idea?

There'll obviously be flaws with any ideas used to tackle an issue (in this case anti-social behaviour) but I think this may not be a bad idea.

-public will feel more safe at night time
-keeps children out of trouble, and ultimately out of danger
-children who are home earlier, will, hopefully, go to bed earlier. Children need sleep in order to perform well in school. Children who perform well in school usually have higher academic and professional goals for themselves, which leads to successful adults. Successful adult lives means less adults making minimum wage and less people on welfare. (this comment is far fetched but you never know :wink: )

Certain issues can arise such as:
-people who look less than their age constantly being ID'd (I know how that feels :colonhash: )
-people who commit crime, carry out anti social behaviour probably think they are immortal and will most likely disobey the curfew
-special occasions where <18 yr olds are out e.g sixth form leaver dinner :colondollar:

no. Those over 18 are just as likely to cause trouble are under-18s therefore the public wouldn't be protected by those over-18. I agree with the point about sleep being important in order to perform well academically but then, usually those who want to well academically will probably be up late doing work. I don't understand the point about 'special occasions', if someone's 16/17, there may be a chance where they're more mature than an 18 year old on a night out.

Why would being over 21 instantly qualify as being mature? Also, depends what you mean by 'drinking', not everyone drinks to get completely off their head.
Original post by Flyteryder
Hertfordshire (the county directly above London). A lot of people I know got taken home by the police when they were under 18.

That's crazy! That doesn't happen here in Watford (I'm 20, but it is a rare day that I am allowed to buy a 12 without ID).
Original post by lightburns
That's crazy! That doesn't happen here in Watford (I'm 20, but it is a rare day that I am allowed to buy a 12 without ID).

Here in St Albans the police are quite strict. I'm 18 and I've often been asked to show ID to the police. They said if I didn't they'd have to take me home!
Here in St Albans the police are quite strict. I'm 18 and I've often been asked to show ID to the police. They said if I didn't they'd have to take me home!

I don't usually carry ID on me. What would they do if I had no ID, and told them that I lived somewhere far away? It would be really interesting to see what would happen. But still, it's insane... To need to carry ID just to walk outside.

I never realised they did that in St Albans (I went there today for a waffle :biggrin: )
Original post by Top Banana
This is not North Korea.

negligible anti-social behaviour in NK though....

jussayin
Original post by lightburns
I don't usually carry ID on me. What would they do if I had no ID, and told them that I lived somewhere far away? It would be really interesting to see what would happen. But still, it's insane... To need to carry ID just to walk outside.

I never realised they did that in St Albans (I went there today for a waffle :biggrin: )

I've heard from my friends that they ask to call your parents to come pick you up or tell them that you're over 18. I don't know what happens if you don't phone your parents; I always carry ID on me so I've never been asked to call.

The waffle house is one of the few decent things in St Albans; there's nothing to do here!
(edited 11 years ago)
I've heard from my friends that they ask to call your parents to come pick you up or tell them that you're over 18. I don't know what happens if you don't phone your parents; I always carry ID on me so I've never been asked to call.

The waffle house is one of the few decent things in St Albans; there's nothing to do here!

But then an under-18 year old could just have someone in your phone labelled "mum" and it be a friend!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending