The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Open Degree (Hons) for Postgrad Study?

Hi All,

Really thinking through what the best option for me at the minute is. I'd really appreciate and value any thoughts/views you can provide in the run up to courses commencing in September/October...

As a bit of background, here's my (VERY) brief CV:

2005, picked up MA in Classics (2:1) from St Andrews
2008, awarded MCIBS and Chartered Banker status from institute of bankers
2010, awarded DipPFS and DipCII from the Chartered Insurance Institute

Since 2006, I've been working in a major bank (as you probably gathered). Started out in the network on people management, moved into analytics in 2008, and have been constructing technical systems for the past three years.

I'm already well versed in Java/Perl/PhP --- but my academic grounding in IT is limited in terms of what I can evidence...

Currently, I'm looking at taking 2 second level Java papers through the OU alongside 4 3rd level courses (including the Computing and IT project) to pick up the BSc Open with Honours. (Have been awarded 240 credits at L1/2 in BA weighting so need to get 180 creds in BSc weighted courses for the BSc as opposed to BA).

So, the big question... Does anyone have any experience of applying for postgrad courses/funding with an Open Degree?
Reckon that the practical and professional experience will have any bearing on a future application - given that I want to conduct research into MI knowledge systems and corporate structures?
Or, should I swallow a bitter pill and take the full BSc (Hons) Computing from scratch?

Cheers
SS
Reply 1
Original post by SigmaSeven
Hi All,

Really thinking through what the best option for me at the minute is. I'd really appreciate and value any thoughts/views you can provide in the run up to courses commencing in September/October...

As a bit of background, here's my (VERY) brief CV:

2005, picked up MA in Classics (2:1) from St Andrews
2008, awarded MCIBS and Chartered Banker status from institute of bankers
2010, awarded DipPFS and DipCII from the Chartered Insurance Institute

Since 2006, I've been working in a major bank (as you probably gathered). Started out in the network on people management, moved into analytics in 2008, and have been constructing technical systems for the past three years.

I'm already well versed in Java/Perl/PhP --- but my academic grounding in IT is limited in terms of what I can evidence...

Currently, I'm looking at taking 2 second level Java papers through the OU alongside 4 3rd level courses (including the Computing and IT project) to pick up the BSc Open with Honours. (Have been awarded 240 credits at L1/2 in BA weighting so need to get 180 creds in BSc weighted courses for the BSc as opposed to BA).

So, the big question... Does anyone have any experience of applying for postgrad courses/funding with an Open Degree?
Reckon that the practical and professional experience will have any bearing on a future application - given that I want to conduct research into MI knowledge systems and corporate structures?
Or, should I swallow a bitter pill and take the full BSc (Hons) Computing from scratch?

Cheers
SS

In regards to getting to the master, what masters are you interested in? Are there no master conversion courses for not Computer Science graduates near you? I know in London Birkbeck offer an MSc in Computer Science as a conversion course. And the two online courses I know of are at Queen Mary and Hertfordshire. They might be worth looking into, depending on what you are looking for in the Masters you eventually want to complete.

Either way, best of luck.

I took interest in this post mainly because I'm also looking at the OU's BSc (Hons) Open degree for a similar reason but different subject. I'm hoping to get onto an MSc in Neuroscience (dry lab - cognitive), but I lack enough background in the Biology and Psychology from my first degree (completed in the US, so I have L1/L2 course transfer in science, maths, psychology, as well as everything else) to make a strong application, so I'm considering an open degree so I can make up the difference and hopefully show my ambition to complete the masters.

If anyone has any experience of this, please share.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Quick Reply

Latest