The Student Room Group

STEP III 2012 Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

B Jack
To be honest, this question is probably followable without a diagram.
Reply 201
Original post by desijut
Fair enough, I honestly thought it made sense, maybe the phrasing was off but i thought it was obvious what you were meant to do with that.

If they give extra marks to people that struggled on that question, then it's unfair on those that got through the question

How is it unfair? You got the solution, then well done, you got the marks. I, for example, spent 20 minutes without being able to move past having gotten z in terms of y since the first line was missing, which could have been used to answer another question. Being the first one I started, it's hard to let it out of your head!
Original post by fruktas
How is it unfair? You got the solution, then well done, you got the marks. I, for example, spent 20 minutes without being able to move past having gotten z in terms of y since the first line was missing, which could have been used to answer another question. Being the first one I started, it's hard to let it out of your head!
It's "unfair" if someone who spent an hour successfully completing Q1 gets only a few more marks than someone who spends 5 minutes writing "What is z?" (or, to be less extreme, 25 minutes writing odds and ends before giving up).

The problem is, there is *no* truly fair way of "undoing" the damage, because you can't know how different people were affected.

From the examiners POV, I think the most likely "solution" is going to be: "lower the boundaries on STEP III, be strict on STEP II". That way, the main "test" for Cambridge offer holders will be how they did on STEP II, and STEP II wasn't compromised by a misprint in the same way. This still isn't ideal, as I'm sure there will be people who were confident of doing "OK" on STEP II and concentrating their efforts on STEP III where they were less sure.
Original post by DFranklin
It's "unfair" if someone who spent an hour successfully completing Q1 gets only a few more marks than someone who spends 5 minutes writing "What is z?" (or, to be less extreme, 25 minutes writing odds and ends before giving up).

The problem is, there is *no* truly fair way of "undoing" the damage, because you can't know how different people were affected.

From the examiners POV, I think the most likely "solution" is going to be: "lower the boundaries on STEP III, be strict on STEP II". That way, the main "test" for Cambridge offer holders will be how they did on STEP II, and STEP II wasn't compromised by a misprint in the same way. This still isn't ideal, as I'm sure there will be people who were confident of doing "OK" on STEP II and concentrating their efforts on STEP III where they were less sure.

That's a good point but then you've got some very unhappy Warwick offer holders.
Reply 204
Original post by ben-smith
That's a good point but then you've got some very unhappy Warwick offer holders.

Happened in my year to an extent.

Filling out job application yesterday when I saw STEP listed as a qualification - first time ever! A couple of marks here and there on the S boundary could make a huge difference to your life!

Just kidding. It matters not.

The problem is with Q1, right? It wouldn't be so bad if it was Q8. When sitting exams there is a slight presumption that the examiners at least try to help you by making Q1 the easiest.
In principle they could go the other way: hang tough on STEP III, and then the colleges can decide whether or not to be lenient.

But my feeling is that since most Warwick people will have taken STEP I, and it's politically less troublesome if people aren't left saying "I would have got a 1 on STEP III if it wasn't for that Q1", that they'll go the way I suggest.

It somewhat comes down to who makes the decision who has to live with "the pain", and it is run by Cambridge Assessments after all.

All random (and probably unhelpful) speculation, of course.
(edited 11 years ago)
In principle they could go the other way: hang tough on STEP III, and then the colleges can decide whether or not to be lenient.

But my feeling is that since most Warwick people will have taken STEP I, and it's politically less troublesome if people aren't left saying "I would have got a 1 on STEP III if it wasn't for that Q1", that they'll go the way I suggest.

It somewhat comes down to who makes the decision who has to live with "the pain", and it is run by Cambridge Assessments after all.

All random (and probably unhelpful) speculation, of course.

Yeah, well, either way it's looking unlikely that I'll be at Cam next year:frown:
Yeah, well, either way it's looking unlikely that I'll be at Cam next year:frown:

What grades do you think you got in STEP II and III?

:console: you'll be alright don't worry. For what its worth, I'm feeling the same about my Oxford offer :redface:

wth...
Original post by Tobedotty
:console: you'll be alright don't worry. For what its worth, I'm feeling the same about my Oxford offer :redface:

what's your insurance?
what's your insurance?

Warwick :rolleyes: The offers are too close together though - I need a 1 in step and it'll be touch and go whether I get that. In reality its either going to be clearing or gap year for me I think.

Whats your insurance?
Warwick :rolleyes: The offers are too close together though - I need a 1 in step and it'll be touch and go whether I get that. In reality its either going to be clearing or gap year for me I think.

Whats your insurance?

UCL. Probably should've put Warwick or Imperial but there you go. I'm not sure what I'm going to do if I don't get into Cam as the course really is made for me :tongue:

As you say, no matter what they do it's going to be unfair for someone :/ For example if they go by the 'solution' you stated, it is likely I would not get in as I feel I'm on the 1/2 boundary on STEP II but did a lot better in III (but not sure if quite enough for an S - I guess it depends on the ruling of Q1).

I guess there is little we can do now - just hope they handle it well. I don't even think I'd have a right to complain if for example I got a 2 in II and a high 1 in III as they would say 'you needed a 1, 1 and you missed out in STEP II, not in STEP III' even though they would know that an S, 2 is almost guaranteed entry.

Bleh I need to stop worrying and just live with whatever happens :tongue:
Reply 214

Whats your insurance?

I thought if you have an A* in FM, then they will let you in with a 2.

Also, I don't think you will be missing your offer, how much did you answer in each paper? :console:

Ignore Warwick comment I misread convo :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by cpdavis

Also, I don't think you will be missing your offer, how much did you answer in each paper? :console:

Problem with the A* in FM is that thats what I need for Oxford and I think I didn't get (like I said, the offers were close). I did Q2,4 and 6 completely on STEP 3 with the start of 7 and 5., and 4 questions (cant remember which) fully on STEP2 with a couple of partials. I didn't do STEP1 (I was intending to only do STEP for fun you see so did basically 0 work for it and staked everything on FM - which I hate because its so unforgiving in terms of silly mistakes).
Original post by cpdavis

Ignore Warwick comment I misread convo :tongue:

But if he gets an A* in FM then he'll be going to Oxford anyway :tongue:

I swear that edit just appeared out of nowhere.
UCL. Probably should've put Warwick or Imperial but there you go. I'm not sure what I'm going to do if I don't get into Cam as the course really is made for me :tongue:

Maybe I'll apply to Camb next year if I miss my Ox offer hmmm :tongue: I did always want to go there but my teachers decided I was a no-hoper and wouldn't let me apply. :frown:
Reply 218
Original post by hassi94
But if he gets an A* in FM then he'll be going to Oxford anyway :tongue:

I swear that edit just appeared out of nowhere.

It was supposed to be a multi quote, but using tsr on phone is sometimes annoying :facepalm:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone App
Maybe I'll apply to Camb next year if I miss my Ox offer hmmm :tongue: I did always want to go there but my teachers decided I was a no-hoper and wouldn't let me apply. :frown:

Your teachers wouldn't let you apply to Camb but let you apply for Oxford? Where's the logic in that? :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending