The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

This whole black IQ malarkey..

Scroll to see replies

Original post by whyumadtho
When it attempts to group what is clearly not naturally grouped (are you influenced by what somebody on the other side of the continent does?), there appears to be a fundamental categorical flaw.

How is it possible for somebody (assuming they are functioning normally) to be incapable of learning something?

Incapable? I merely said that intelligence is the ability to learn. All else equal, a higher IQ will make an individual able to understand and process knowledge at a faster rate and be able to understand more complicated matters than someone of a lower IQ. This does not mean that a lower IQ makes a person incapable of learning. A person with an IQ of 90 will struggle (almost certainly be unable) to write a PhD in mathematics at MIT however.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
Incapable? I merely said that intelligence is the ability to learn. All else equal, a higher IQ will make an individual able to understand and process knowledge at a faster rate and be able to understand more complicated matters than someone of a lower IQ. This does not mean that a lower IQ makes a person incapable of learning. A person with an IQ of 90 will struggle to write a PhD in mathematics at MIT however.
Can somebody not improve their proficiency in any given field of study?

Off-topic:
I'll respond to your other post when I get on my laptop, so don't think I've ignored it.

On topic:

No, there are genetic constraints that affect us all. Your question assumes that everyone has unlimited potential and can do anything as well as someone else. We know this to be false, though. There is more to intelligence than education, but don't tell the liberals.

Yes, to an extent. With an IQ of 70, a person can probably grasp the very basic fundamentals of mathematics, improving their proficiency, but they will almost certainly be unable to write a PhD from MIT. Someone with an IQ of 140 will be able to grasp the fundamentals at a much quicker rate, and is much more likely to have the inherent intelligence to write the PhD.

I would have thought this was obvious.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Formerly Helpful_C
This thread sounds no different to the thousands of others. All the time, it is "socioeconomic" reasons. All the time, it has nothing to do with race.

Do you not see how stupid that argument is? Obviously there will be differences between race. We are not created equal! How about telling me that dark chocolate and milk chocolate are the same? You can't, because they're not. So, if something as simple as chocolate can be inherently different, why can't humans?What. The. Hell?!
:bong:

Did you know that on average, there is more genetic differences within a 'race' than between different so-called 'races'? the pathetically insignificantly small genetic differences between human 'races' cannot account for what you believe, that different 'races' are intellectually superior or inferior.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 45

Not massively, hence people who seem to revise endlessly but get mediocre grades.
Original post by Reformed2010
:bong:

Did you know that on average, there is more genetic differences within a 'race' than between different so-called 'races'?

This seems natural. You are comparing the variance of groups (average ) to the variances of much large populations. This is a basic statistical operation that is neither surprising nor informative.

Did you know that there is more differences in IQ between students at the University of Cambridge than between students at all UK universities as a whole?
What does this mean? nothing, except that variance is dependent on the sample size.
(edited 11 years ago)
Off-topic:
I'll respond to your other post when I get on my laptop, so don't think I've ignored it.

On topic:

No, there are genetic constraints that affect us all. Your question assumes that everyone has unlimited potential and can do anything as well as someone else. We know this to be false, though. There is more to intelligence than education, but don't tell the liberals.
This is moderated by one's willingness and ability (having the resources) to learn.

Original post by Zürich
Yes, to an extent. With an IQ of 70, a person can probably grasp the very basic fundamentals of mathematics, improving their proficiency, but they will almost certainly be unable to write a PhD from MIT. Someone with an IQ of 140 will be able to grasp the fundamentals at a much quicker rate, and is much more likely to have the inherent intelligence to write the PhD.

I would have thought this was obvious.
How does somebody become unable to continue learning something? In the case of an IQ test, assuming the person can see the answers and explanations for why they were right/wrong, I find it strange to suggest their ability to notice similar patterns in future tests will be unchanged.
Original post by sorafdfs
Not massively, hence people who seem to revise endlessly but get mediocre grades.
Is that an inability to learn or inability to apply? Dedicating so much time to reading a book and attempting to learn a concept, but not actually gaining an increased understanding of the topic seems unfathomable.

How does somebody become unable to continue learning something? In the case of an IQ test, assuming the person can see the answers and explanations for why they were right/wrong, I find it strange to suggest their ability to notice similar patterns in future tests will be unchanged.

Intelligence increases the ability to recognise new patterns. What you have described is not intelligence but rather the ability to regurgitate, as a parrot may do. Even then, low IQ hampers the ability to regurgitate beyond a certain point. People with high IQ are able to figure these patterns out with no assistance.

As someone else said, people don't have unlimited potential. Evens someone with an IQ of 150 has a limit to what they can comprehend. It is ridiculously simplistic, not to mention untrue, to say that we can all become rocket scientists, noble prize winners or professors.
Reply 50
This thread sounds no different to the thousands of others. All the time, it is "socioeconomic" reasons. All the time, it has nothing to do with race.

Do you not see how stupid that argument is? Obviously there will be differences between race. We are not created equal! How about telling me that dark chocolate and milk chocolate are the same? You can't, because they're not. So, if something as simple as chocolate can be inherently different, why can't humans?

You sound like you havent read it properly at all. Are you denying that environmental factors are the greatest factor in your intelligence? Are you claiming that IQ is a decent measure of intelligence?

Yes there are differences between races, but they are not that much at all. In fact, the greatest genetic difference within humans is between a man and a woman, not a black man and a white man. At the end of the day, not so long ago, all humans were from the same place and were the same people. There is currently no significant proof that any race is significantly more intelligent than the other. The average IQ of a race does not indicate the genetic intellectual capacity of a race on average, it measures the intelligence acquired and developed on average, inaccurately. Intelligence is the ability to learn, therefore measuring the intelligence acquired and developed on average does not show us how intelligent a race is.

And no, i'm not denying that everyone isnt equal, but we are so similar that differences in average intelligence would be so small that they would be negligible. At the end of the day what im trying to say is that, you may believe once race is smarter than the other, but the brainiest people on earth have no solid proof that anyone is significantly more intelligent than anyone else on average. Full stop.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
Intelligence increases the ability to recognise new patterns. What you have described is not intelligence but rather the ability to regurgitate, as a parrot may do.
I meant the fundamental nature of the patterns is likely to be similar in future tests. Somebody may not have applied a certain reasoning process because they never saw it as relevant, but upon realising this has an application, they are likely to try that method in future.

People with high IQ are able to figure these patterns out with no assistance.
Their ability to reason logically? Why can somebody else not adopt and apply these reasoning processes ?

As someone else said, people don't have unlimited potential. Evens someone with an IQ of 150 has a limit to what they can comprehend. It is ridiculously simplistic, not to mention untrue, to say that we can all become rocket scientists, noble prize winners or professors.
What makes you psychologically incapable of understanding any given concept, assuming you have a vested interest in learning it and have the resources to do so?
I meant the fundamental nature of the patterns is likely to be similar in future tests. Somebody may not have applied a certain reasoning process because they never saw it as relevant, but upon realising this has an application, they are likely to try that method in future.

Their ability to reason logically? Why can somebody else not adopt and apply these reasoning processes ?

What makes you psychologically incapable of understanding any given concept, assuming you have a vested interest in learning it and have the resources to do so?

1) What about entirely new patterns?
2)Can someone with an IQ of 70 adopt Einsteins reasoning process? Not in a million years.
3)What makes me incapable of beating Usain Bolt over 100m, given that I have a vested interest in doing it and have the resources to do so?
Reply 53
Original post by maxthepax
it pisses me off the valid scientific research is being ignored because it is not 'politically correct'.

I fully agree with this sentiment.

However
the jewish people in my mixed college have a superior intelligence than the black people in my college. You may say that this is because of wealth (i.e the wealthier you are, the better educated you are..) however the black people in my college are wealthier than than the white people.

I just want to know where the hell you are living that has a significant black AND jewish population, and the black people are richer.
Reply 54
Can't believe OP has been nagged once, let alone 4 times. People are so dumb.
Original post by Zürich
1) What about entirely new patterns?
It would depend on the person. How would one assess whether a concept is new to somebody or if it is a reapplication of previous reasoning processes?

2)Can someone with an IQ of 70 adopt Einsteins reasoning process? Not in a million years.
That's a circular argument: IQ is the ability to reason and the ability to reason is IQ. I would like to know how somebody's ability to reason can be limited; how can somebody stop learning and applying concepts?

3)What makes me incapable of beating Usain Bolt over 100m, given that I have a vested interest in doing it and have the resources to do so?
You are physically incapable due to your bodily stature; I do not understand how somebody can stop being able to learn something. If you are told where you went wrong in an IQ test, how is it possible that you are unable to comprehend what is required to reach the correct answer, and then find novel ways of applying that reasoning in future?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 56
A black man and a white man run away from a bear. The black man has an advantage in the early stages, as he has superior genetic characteristics that provide him with more fast twitch muscle fibers. "Michael Johnson. Why descendants of slaves will take the medals in the London 2012 sprint finals".
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2167064/London-2012-Olympics-Michael-Johnson-descendants-slaves-medals-sprint-finals.html#ixzz1zNCEps87
However the white man was cunning, his superior thinking skills made him realise that he needed to climb a tree, so he did. The black man eventually got tired and the bear caught him.
Reply 57
I go to a private college and the black people who go have parents who work investment banks, and run huge corporations in Africa. The jews have middle class parents (like myself) and upper class parents but on average its the black students who are wealthier.

Just an interesting fact for everyone on this thread saying the IQ is not an adequate measure of intelligence, I think we can all agree that Nobel prize winners are significantly more intelligent than your average joe. Why dont you search Black nobel prize winners and then search Jewish nobel prize winners. The difference speaks for itself.

I went to a school that consisted of black and white students( of fairly the same size, the rest were asian). The smartest were asian but the black people were smarter than the whites. The black people were also poorer, the kind of ones with uncles in Nigeria that owns a business emailing people to send them money from their bank accounts. While the whites were from a middle class family. Just an interesting fact for people talking about IQ and race.
Reply 58

Do you not see how stupid that argument is? Obviously there will be differences between race. We are not created equal! How about telling me that dark chocolate and milk chocolate are the same? You can't, because they're not. So, if something as simple as chocolate can be inherently different, why can't humans?

God this must be the most stupidiest analogy I've ever came across. Comparing humans to chocolate. Try again.
Original post by 419
God this must be the most stupidiest analogy I've ever came across. Comparing humans to chocolate. Try again.

You obviously are incapable of reading something and accepting that the words mean what they are meant to. My point was that there are differences in everything, so why should humans be different? Sorry, I assumed that the users of this website would be more intelligent.

Side note: why do people say 'try again'? Is this a liberal slogan on something? Makes little sense.
(edited 11 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending