The Student Room Group

Would you have a relationship with a transgender person?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fallen_acorns
all we can go on, as in any area of life and knowledge, is the opinion that has the most credibilty, backing and evidence...

in this case most medical profesionals, along with sociolgoists, psychologists and scitentits... agree with the opinions i am stating

(as can be demonstraited by fact that the UK law is on my side, and so is the NHS)

as for, whether people know their own gender - a trans person (such as myself) knows and feels gender just as strongly as you do. our opinions are no less valid then yours...

just in the same way as you feel about yourself, is how we feel...

I mean you think this is a choice? or something people do lightly... - go through years of torment, agony, abuse... getting stared at, attacked in the street, laguhed out of bathrooms, fired from their jobs, disowned by their families, left by their partners... raped. killed..

and after going through all that - after going through more then you could imagine, just to prove ones gender to society --- you then turn up and say: just because this is how they feel, they may be wrong....

to put it simply: GENDER IS HOW YOU FEEL/THINK, you cant be wrong about your own gender... if they feel female, their gender is female. simple as.

Don't have time to respond properly - but I don't believe I inherently feel a gender. I'm just an organism in a male body, therefore am a man, in my opinion.
Reply 101
Original post by Borderline
I'll make this short because I want to go to sleep.*
I wasn't talking about you. Saying my opinion is douche-tastic is not respecting it.
I said the common and liberal point to portray that I am not some closed minded bigot, and that if you have a problem with me simply having an open minded opinion then good luck dealing rudely with people who have nothing against you - it won't speed up your cause.
A couple of people (not you, again) said (I'm paraphrasing here) that transgender people feel a certain way, therefore whatever they feel is true is correct, and that I am incorrect as I have "little experience" in the topic (which is so ridiculous I don't have time to go into).

And by the way, you personally seem to have misunderstood my beliefs as you have taken the terms 'gender' and 'sex' too literally - I wasn't even considering the differences when I wrote my posts, so you appear to have taken quite a few things I've said in the wrong way. You were perfectly polite, however.

Good luck to the rest of you if this is the way you behave to accepting people who have different, yet open minded beliefs to you. It leaves very little of society with which you can truly get along with.

I respect your right to have an opinion. I do not respect your opinion. There's a difference.

Again, why would I be polite to someone who seeks to dismiss the thoughts and experiences of trans* people? Someone, who if their opinion was shared by all, would make the lives of trans* people considerably more difficult?

Do you think that every opinion is worthy of respect?
Don't have time to respond properly - but I don't believe I inherently feel a gender. I'm just an organism in a male body, therefore am a man, in my opinion.

then you dismiss the views of scientists, psycholgist, sociologists etc. - who have studied the subject in depth for many many years...
Only until I realized...
Original post by The Dark Lord
Only until I realized...

so if you loved someone (but didnt have a sexual relationship) - and had such a strong bond with them, got on with them better then anyone else, and had a true connection with them...

And then found out they were trans..

you would leave them?

And by the way, you personally seem to have misunderstood my beliefs as you have taken the terms 'gender' and 'sex' too literally - I wasn't even considering the differences when I wrote my posts, so you appear to have taken quite a few things I've said in the wrong way. You were perfectly polite, however.

That was kind of the point though. That you werent treating them as different when they are.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
so if you loved someone (but didnt have a sexual relationship) - and had such a strong bond with them, got on with them better then anyone else, and had a true connection with them...

And then found out they were trans..

you would leave them?

Yes... It's not that I'm shallow, I just find the whole concept extremely weird. I could never be comfortable with it.
then you dismiss the views of scientists, psycholgist, sociologists etc. - who have studied the subject in depth for many many years...

I KNOW I said I wouldnt respond again but this too good. You basically just implied that despite me not feeling that I have a gender separate to my body I am wrong. Too ironic after reading your other comments!

:laugh:

Goodbye. Trust me, I mean it this time. I'd be mad to come back after reading that!
I KNOW I said I wouldnt respond again but this too good. You basically just implied that despite me not feeling that I have a gender separate to my body I am wrong. Too ironic after reading your other comments!

Goodbye. Trust me, I mean it this time. I'd be mad to come back after reading that!

no you missunderstand me - its absolutly fine that for you (and almost everyone) - gender matches sex... the bit of your post that was incorrect, and as i said - goes against most of the medical and scientific community, is where you stated:

'I'm just an organism in a male body, therefore am a man'

you have a male body.

but you are a man because your gender is male...

there is a distinction that is made there. your sex+gender are different things, for most people there is a corrolation, however - your gender isnt defined by your sex (as you incorrectly implied) - they are just two seperate things, which usually match, (but matching does not make one depandant on the other)

I hope this clears things up for you

I think you are confusing feeling you have a gender and knowing what your sex is. You feel your gender (whether you are aware of this feeling is another story) in how you feel. For example what makes you feel like a man? You can say you have a penis by having a penis makes you feel like a man how? Masculine? Your gender is encompassed by you behavior and identity. So how you act and feel about your actions and social role is reflective of how you feel about your gender. Acknowledging that you have a penis not so much to do with gender.

Original post by RandZul'Zorander
I think you are confusing feeling you have a gender and knowing what your sex is. You feel your gender (whether you are aware of this feeling is another story) in how you feel. For example what makes you feel like a man? You can say you have a penis by having a penis makes you feel like a man how? Masculine? Your gender is encompassed by you behavior and identity. So how you act and feel about your actions and social role is reflective of how you feel about your gender. Acknowledging that you have a penis not so much to do with gender.

thank you - that was pretty much what i was trying to get at
It's very contestable when you consider they've never experienced having the opposite body/genitals. Transgender people may think they are in the wrong body, but surely until they've actually had it changed and experienced 'having the right body' for a while, they can't be certain. Though I don't know of any examples as I have very little knowledge in this area at all, I'd be amazed if a sizeable percentage of transgender people change their minds at some point after having surgery.

Also, what sort of studies have these "sociologists" done? Medical studies (i.e. detecting chemicals that would give rise to the feelings of either masculinity or femininity) I would listen to, but sociology? :curious:
(edited 11 years ago)
Legal distinctions about what constitutes male and female/man/woman are irrelevant concerning sexual attraction tbh. For example, Luke off Big Brother still has wide feminine hips and a defined waist- i am not sexually attracted to feminine features in other people. It's un PC to say this, but I just don't think i'd ever find a trans man i was actually attracted to enough.

Arguing that you should consider it because they posses 'the collection of parts you want' is just stupid. Going around with a check list for body parts and looking for how they are viewed before the British legal system is not how people look for sexual partners. The people berating others for saying no should shut up and respect different views on this.
Don't think I'd care tbh. So long as things are...functioning...
Likely to if I didn't know he was born a female then I would since I would have falling for the person by then.
Original post by Beebumble
Nice to see peoples medical conditions amuses you.

When did I say I find transgender people funny? :eyeball:
Reply 116
No, they couldn't have my children.
Reply 117
I have a straight female friend who is in a relationship with a MtF trans person. They met before she had come out as identifying as female.

If you fall in love with a person, them wanting to change gender shouldn't matter, but that's a hell of a lot easier to say when it's not something you might have to live by...
Original post by TheHighestCalibre
Legal distinctions about what constitutes male and female/man/woman are irrelevant concerning sexual attraction tbh. For example, Luke off Big Brother still has wide feminine hips and a defined waist- i am not sexually attracted to feminine features in other people. It's un PC to say this, but I just don't think i'd ever find a trans man i was actually attracted to enough.

Arguing that you should consider it because they posses 'the collection of parts you want' is just stupid. Going around with a check list for body parts and looking for how they are viewed before the British legal system is not how people look for sexual partners. The people berating others for saying no should shut up and respect different views on this.

Can I just say that as a transman, I agree with you? A lot of transpeople piss me off because they don't acknowledge this.

There are commenters who should be berated on here because they are saying that transwomen are male and transmen are female. Screw those people.
Those who say 'I understand that a transman is male, but as a homosexual/heterosexual I find the male traits X, Y and Z highly important, which are usually lacking in transmen, and therefore am unlikely to have a relationship with a transman' are fine.

I am bisexual, but I still understand that there are many people who are only attracted to one body type. Transsexuals cannot escape the fact that we have traits of both body types, or if pre-medication, the opposite body type! It is denying the experiences of homosexuals and heterosexuals to expect them to be fine with either body type.

Bisexuals are practically a godsend for transsexuals, I must say.
If she was hot yeah.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending