The Student Room Group

Help on as level biology AQA

Hi, I've chosen to do AS biology aqa board. Can anyone from past experience tell me what to revise before I start the course? Anything I need to know to help the course?
Thanks.
Not really much to look at from GCSE if memory serves. To be honest you'll find that in the sciences that any GCSE knowledge is fairly redundant.

Just pay attention in class, do homework, do some independent work and past papers. :smile:
Reply 2
Thanks man.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
AT LEAST 1 hour of independent study/ revision per lesson.
Best uf you just wait for the start of AS but just revise GCSE and revise some keywords?
Reply 4
Original post by Muppet Science
Not really much to look at from GCSE if memory serves. To be honest you'll find that in the sciences that any GCSE knowledge is fairly redundant.

Just pay attention in class, do homework, do some independent work and past papers. :smile:

so if you're intending to study biology at college, should you avoid revising all the stuff from GCSE biology again as it is unneeded? Just wondering because I was thinking of re-revising it all but don't really want to if it isn't going to help much
Original post by Magenta96
so if you're intending to study biology at college, should you avoid revising all the stuff from GCSE biology again as it is unneeded? Just wondering because I was thinking of re-revising it all but don't really want to if it isn't going to help much

Sorry to come across as though I'm stalking your posts, but I would just like to reiterate my point that I made in your thread in that you don't need to use any bridging material or specifically revisit GCSE content.

You're much better just going straight into the AS content, and if you come across something where you realise you need some previous knowledge from GCSE that isn't firm in your mind, then go back then, or just ask a teacher and they'll cover it with you fairly sharpish.
Reply 6
Original post by Tullia
Sorry to come across as though I'm stalking your posts, but I would just like to reiterate my point that I made in your thread in that you don't need to use any bridging material or specifically revisit GCSE content.

You're much better just going straight into the AS content, and if you come across something where you realise you need some previous knowledge from GCSE that isn't firm in your mind, then go back then, or just ask a teacher and they'll cover it with you fairly sharpish.

Agreed, GCSE knowledge is literally all wrong when you get to AS for biology!
Reply 7
Original post by Tullia

Haha, don't worry you're not coming across as stalker-ish at all, thanks for the help, I'll not revise my subjects and just go straight to A level then :smile:
Original post by MathMad
x

Here is a link to my post in the similar thread created; figured it would be useful to also post here (has links to specification, ISA overview and a useful website, plus general comments): http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2070847&p=38792193#post38792193

As I've said before, I would recommend Nelson Thornes AQA Biology, but I wouldn't recommend the CGP AQA Biology. This is because CGP are excellent at summarising content, but do this at the expense of depth a lot of the time. And if you're thorough in your studies and making of notes in particular, then you'll have no need for the CGP books. Whereas, Nelson Thornes are excellent textbooks to learn and understand content.

Practice and in particular past papers are vital to success, as a lot of the time similar questions will arise and key terms or sentences will be required to access marks. Through practice, answering the majority of questions will become second nature. Understanding is just needed for those slight alterations AQA will make to test your underlying understanding of topics and concepts.

Edit: I don't know who gave this -rep, but the person the message was aimed at gave me +rep and someone else agreed with me above this post so I'm guessing you failed AQA Biology and this is how you wish to express your self disappointment. Fair enough.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Magenta96

Well to some extent. I personally would not bother 're-revising' all of the GCSE stuff as a lot of it isn't relevant and if it is then it tends to be too simplistic for AS

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending