The Student Room Group

Are these suitable/realistic a level choices?

I'm thinking of becoming a therapist when I'm older, so I've chosen (well, unofficially):
Psychology, Sociology, and Biology.
I'm a pretty decent student, with most of my grades ranging from 85%-100%. I can't remember one where I got less that that. Anyway, are these good choices that I could earn A*AA in them wth the right amount of work? If not, what are some other ones I could choose? I'm good at biology but not too keen on it so is there an alternative to that (I could deal with it if there isn't)? Thanks in advance.
Original post by .p.e.r.s.o.n.
I'm thinking of becoming a therapist when I'm older, so I've chosen (well, unofficially):
Psychology, Sociology, and Biology.
I'm a pretty decent student, with most of my grades ranging from 85%-100%. I can't remember one where I got less that that. Anyway, are these good choices that I could earn A*AA in them wth the right amount of work? If not, what are some other ones I could choose? I'm good at biology but not too keen on it so is there an alternative to that (I could deal with it if there isn't)? Thanks in advance.

I definitely they're great choices! I don't do Sociology, but I know that the content sometimes overlaps with Psychology so you might find you're already familiar with certain things. Biology and Psychology also overlap a fair amount, especially with the Biopsychology topic in Psych if you're doing AQA, so all in all I think they're wonderful choices for A Levels that interact with each other brilliantly :smile:

You sound like a hardworking person with your grades, so I don't doubt that if you're able to put in the work then you should be able to achieve the grades you want at A Level. The only thing I'd say is that it could become a little demotivating at times for Biology if you don't like it too much - I think having passion for the subjects you're doing is helpful when it comes to revision and just learning in general. If you're thinking of alternatives, Maths is usually a good A Level to do in regards to becoming a therapist, but sciency stuff is just as useful.

I hope this helps somewhat 😊
I definitely they're great choices! I don't do Sociology, but I know that the content sometimes overlaps with Psychology so you might find you're already familiar with certain things. Biology and Psychology also overlap a fair amount, especially with the Biopsychology topic in Psych if you're doing AQA, so all in all I think they're wonderful choices for A Levels that interact with each other brilliantly :smile:

You sound like a hardworking person with your grades, so I don't doubt that if you're able to put in the work then you should be able to achieve the grades you want at A Level. The only thing I'd say is that it could become a little demotivating at times for Biology if you don't like it too much - I think having passion for the subjects you're doing is helpful when it comes to revision and just learning in general. If you're thinking of alternatives, Maths is usually a good A Level to do in regards to becoming a therapist, but sciency stuff is just as useful.

Reply 3
Original post by Summer_Academiq

this definitely helped, thank you. I'm pretty sure I could make biology fun for myself, in the end it's not like I hate it, definitely prefer it over maths

Thanks again!
Original post by .p.e.r.s.o.n.
this definitely helped, thank you. I'm pretty sure I could make biology fun for myself, in the end it's not like I hate it, definitely prefer it over maths

Thanks again!

That's alright, I'm glad it helped! Good luck, all the best with your A Levels! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest