Reply 580
Original post by Jabberwox
Isn't prison bad enough?

Looks like Butlins to me....

uk%u00252Bprison-cell.jpg
prisoncellREX2404_468x312.jpg
prisoner_2011808.jpg

Like I have said repetitively!!

When prison means just that, and life means just that. I will be against CP.
Reply 581
Original post by Marco1
Yes, but not for murder. A genuinely repentent offender who has come to understand the full consequences of how his/ her actions have impacted on others and fully served their long sentence, may deserve a second chance.

Murders can not be reformed......End of story.

You can not undo the damage that is done by that crime..
Original post by dj1015
Looks like Butlins to me....

uk%u00252Bprison-cell.jpg
prisoncellREX2404_468x312.jpg
prisoner_2011808.jpg

Like I have said repetitively!!

When prison means just that, and life means just that. I will be against CP.

Yes but capital punishment is an easy escape really...

People like Ian Brady are desperate to just die as he cannot stand being confined a second longer.
Reply 583
Original post by Jabberwox
Yes but capital punishment is an easy escape really...

People like Ian Brady are desperate to just die as he cannot stand being confined a second longer.

Then we should let him...... A length of rope, then 24 hours quiet time. That would sort the problem out.
Original post by dj1015
I was against it until very recently for many of the same reasons most people oppose it. But it is time for a serious rethink in the UK. The justice system as well all know is soft on crime, and 30 years for murder is not enough.

These people are sick individuals. If an animal is sick and we cant afford the vet bills, its get put down. Time to apply the same logic to these terrible people.

http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/news/crime/s/1584745_stockport-headless-body-trial-anthony-and-joseph-jenkins-jailed-for-life-for-murder-of-john-grainger

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/9431941/Kiaran-Stapleton-jailed-for-30-years-for-murdering-student.html

I am not in favour of it because I think it will deter people from committing terrible crimes, because it wont. I am not in favour of it because it I believe in the eye for and eye theory. I am looking at this from the economics of the situation.

If capital punishment can be brought back. It could be introduced in a manner that is quick, and cost efficient to the British tax payer. No need for mutlipul costly appeals as one is enough, and only a short stay on death row. Thus saving money on the cost of a whole life sentence. Humane methods could also be used such as Nitrogen asphyxiation.

Jesus you talk a lot of ****e. Thankfully these sorts of medieval opinions aren't taken seriously in any significant political forum in this country.
Reply 585
Original post by conorordan
Jesus you talk a lot of ****e. Thankfully these sorts of medieval opinions aren't taken seriously in any significant political forum in this country.

which part of my "statement" was , medieval sir?
Original post by The Marshall
x

All of your quotes to me today - they are either from very biased sources and so clearly don't disprove my own ones, or they are someone writing their opinion without anything to actually back it up.

Not sure why you felt the need to quote me 4 of 5 times in a day; I've been at work, I can't be here to answer everything and I'd prefer if you said all you needed to at once to spare me some time.
Reply 587
Original post by Emaemmaemily
All of your quotes to me today - they are either from very biased sources and so clearly don't disprove my own ones, or they are someone writing their opinion without anything to actually back it up.

Not sure why you felt the need to quote me 4 of 5 times in a day; I've been at work, I can't be here to answer everything and I'd prefer if you said all you needed to at once to spare me some time.

So after spending 30 pages chasing him for evidence. When he finally comes up with it, you choose to attack the format it is present in?

What other excuses do you have up your sleeve?
Original post by dj1015
which part of my "statement" was , medieval sir?

Thanks for the quick reply, sorry for not explaining myself better; I was referring to the idea that a state should have the power to kill one of its own citizens, it's the epitome of medieval. Also;

"I believe in the eye for and eye theory". I'm gonna assume this is the main reason that you think capital punishment is the right way to do things.

Think about what happens when a criminal is convicted, the state says to them 'you've committed an act that we believe to be morally wrong and counter productive to our society'. It just doesn't work, logically, for the state (or anybody for that matter) to respond to that by committing a murder, one of the most immoral acts there is.

You're just countering immorality with even more immorality. If revenge is purely the motive for capital punishment I think that's very sad, society should rise above that kind of behaviour, or we're just as bad as the criminals we're punishing.
Reply 589
Thanks for the quick reply, sorry for not explaining myself better;

No problem sir.

I was referring to the idea that a state should have the power to kill one of its own citizens, it's the epitome of medieval.

The worlds most developed country carries out the practice of CP, hardly the epitome of medieval

"I believe in the eye for and eye theory". I'm gonna assume this is the main reason that you think capital punishment is the right way to do things.

No I dont. I believe in fair and balanced justice. If prison meant prison, and life meant life, I would be against CP.

Think about what happens when a criminal is convicted, the state says to them 'you've committed an act that we believe to be morally wrong and counter productive to our society'. It just doesn't work, logically, for the state (or anybody for that matter) to respond to that by committing a murder, one of the most immoral acts there is.

Thats your opinion. Mine is of the opposite.

You're just countering immorality with even more immorality. If revenge is purely the motive for capital punishment I think that's very sad, society should rise above that kind of behaviour, or we're just as bad as the criminals we're punishing.

Once again, this is your opinion. Mine is of the opposite.

Sadly life is not fair, society is never going to be perfect. Crime and punishment is the worst place to start in trying to make it more moral.
This whole thread is getting ridiculous. There are over 30 pages and so far it is what? two people arguing for CP? And so far neither is providing valid reasoning as to how CP is morally 'right' or more just, than the alternatives. The Marshall doesn't seem to care about using biased sources or just some people's opinions, and the OP seems to have a very limited understanding of morality. Statistically capital punishment doesn't deter crime. This is mathematical fact. Now morally how is it moral to kill someone? If you are saying that a person needs to be punished for murder, then shouldn't you be punished for then murdering them? Its completely illogical.
Reply 591
Capital punishment would make sense if we have a criminal revenge system.

As it is we have a criminal justice system.
Reply 592
So debate and discussion of any nature should only be limited to individuals who hold appropriate qualifications? Sounds rather narrow minded......

Your opinion, not mine. One line from you is not enough to change my mind or the majority of british people that agree with me.

Don't believe I ever said that......Putting words in my mouth is only going to fool your self and your left wing buddies..
Reply 593
Original post by RandZul'Zorander
If you are saying that a person needs to be punished for murder, then shouldn't you be punished for then murdering them? Its completely illogical.

Murder is a legal term. 'Killing' as a whole isn't illegal under the correct circumstances (special incidents of self defence, accidental death etc). So it is incorrect to say that CP is murder. That isn't to say CP is any better or worse than another arbitrary way someone may get killed.
Original post by dj1015
So debate and discussion of any nature should only be limited to individuals who hold appropriate qualifications? Sounds rather narrow minded......

Generally speaking you should have some qualifications even if some informal knowledge on the subjects...you haven't demonstrated much yet though...

Your opinion, not mine. One line from you is not enough to change my mind or the majority of british people that agree with me.

Do you think murder is wrong? I would assume so since you are trying to punish those who commit such an act. So logically you should also be punished (or the state) for then murdering said person. That is what logically follows.
Original post by dj1015

The worlds most developed country carries out the practice of CP, hardly the epitome of medieval

Even if the USA was the pinnacle of human development (which it really, really isn't by the way), that would not be a reason to institute capital punishment. The USA spends 19% of its federal income on buying guns and fighting wars, I wonder if we should do that too?

Original post by dj1015

No I dont. I believe in fair and balanced justice. If prison meant prison, and life meant life, I would be against CP.

This is troubling, why not just argue for longer prison terms then? Why not start a thread saying 'life should mean life' or 'prison should mean prison'. I would whole heartedly agree with you (probably) and I'm sure many other people would too.

It's a bit worrying that you went straight to outright killing people and skipped the part where we force them to live out the rest of their lives with no freedom whatsoever (which I think is punishment enough for any crime).

As for the subjectivity of morality, we can argue about that all day and it wouldn't really get us anywhere. If you think killing somebody is okay just because they did the same thing to someone else then I'll have to just disagree, and hope that nobody with that opinion ever reaches any position of significant political power.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by The Marshall
The Criminal has NO RIGHT TO KILL ANYONE. AND IF THEY DO KILL, THEY DESERVE THE CAPITAL PUNISHMENT, its being going for 2000 years. Better you learned it and accepted it.

thats why the **** the criminal is being punished... that he/she took away a life... BUT u flippin say that 'NO RIGHT TO KILL ANYONE' then y the **** would u punish someone goin against ur sayin...

And no i will never accept it... because i will never agree to it...
Original post by Keckers
Murder is a legal term. 'Killing' as a whole isn't illegal under the correct circumstances (special incidents of self defence, accidental death etc). So it is incorrect to say that CP is murder. That isn't to say CP is any better or worse than another arbitrary way someone may get killed.

What is the difference between murder and CP? merely because CP is legal makes it better? Something being legal is not valid grounds for whether or not it is right. CP is intentional and premeditated, and therefore equatable to murder.
Reply 598
What is the difference between murder and CP? merely because CP is legal makes it better? Something being legal is not valid grounds for whether or not it is right. CP is intentional and premeditated, and therefore equatable to murder.

Did you actually read my post?

I was arguing semantics that CP couldn't possibly be murder because murder is unlawful killing. CP would be an instance of lawful killing. (And if you actually read my post you'll see that I condone neither.)
Reply 599
Generally speaking you should have some qualifications even if some informal knowledge on the subjects...you haven't demonstrated much yet though...

Degree, Diploma?, Certificate, GCSE? Which one would be the minmal?

Maybe the government should legislate on this. Anyone who doesn't have an MBA can't vote any more for example?

Latest

Trending

Trending