The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Drugs- Your Experiences?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LaurenPhilippa
I want to be a lawyer, I don't participate in illegal activity, simply because if I got a criminal record, I wouldn't be able to work as one. :K:

that's pretty sensible. but if you think lawyers don't take drugs then you're in for a shock. you have an amusingly naieve idea about who takes drugs. your bosses will quite possibly have been drug takers, and their bosses.

they just don't shout about it, because of people like you. and they certainly don't go putting their photo on the internet.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by hollybanolly
It all depends if you're sensible and responsible when taking drugs..

nobody takes drugs to be 'sensible and responsible'

you're not very good at this. you make even drugs sound rubbish
Yeah, "users" being the appropriate word.

I've said it before, I'll say it again....I don't want or need the respect of druggies.
I certainly don't need approval from people who won't even show their faces on this site.

I admit I am prejudiced yeah, but I've stated my reasons countless times.

Drug-users will never take the moral high ground over me.

I will never feel silly or ashamed of my views on drugs, yeah I probably have been overly harsh on this forum, but the underlying principles will remain forever.

Approval, moral high ground and shame have nothing to do with how well-justified your opinions are. You've admitted prejudice, so it's hard to see why people should think your opinions justified, don't you think?
Yeah they have. I never said I was better or more worthy as a person. :confused:

'I don't need the approval of druggies' etc etc

you're using language pretty effectively to make it clear how you feel.
Reply 284
Original post by Mister Dead
that's pretty sensible. but if you think lawyers don't take drugs then you're in for a shock. you have an amusingly naieve idea about who takes drugs. your bosses will quite possibly have been drug takers, and their bosses.

they just don't shout about, because of people like you. and they certainly don't go putting their photo on the internet.

Exactly, that's where I'm coming from.

I'm sure there is probably a pretty big middle/upper class drugs scene, yeah.
I will inevitably come into contact with it one day I'm sure, I just don't want any part of it.

I'm actually quite shocked at the amount of people who support drugs on here, maybe that does make me naive. :s-smilie:

Like I said earlier...I'll agree to disagree. There are pros and cons to the habit, I guess. :K:

I posted on the thread in the beginning to explain that my experiences with drugs, although limited, have been negative. I didn't mean to offend anyone tbh, I think I probably cam across a bit too strong. Point taken. :rolleyes:
Aye, that's fair enough.

I guess there's a spectrum, from mile to extreme usage. I admit I think of most as "extreme", probably unfairly. I have friends who do it who are off to uni and stuff.

I think in this thread I'll have to agree to disagree sorta thing.
Point taken.
:smile:

^^^ this is what I said earlier.
I'm genuinely trying to see the other side, it's just difficult for me with my neighbors.
Doesn't help when people respond to my opinion with "lol". :s-smilie:

Good for you if you're a 23 year old graduate. (That's not sarcasm btw).
But personally I think people (including you, and my neighbors) deserve better than harming their bodies through drugs.
But like I said, personal choice! :smile:

The chances are you will find yourself around 'the other side' at university. When people in this thread talk about 'drugs', they are referring to things like weed, LSD, MDMA and magic mushrooms. I know they can sound scary or whatever, but they really, truthfully are not. These are substances that have been proven in the lab and in the real world to be relatively harmless and generally non-addictive. In terms of harm they belong on a totally different scale to things like heroin, meth, crack and even alcohol, and socially, they seldom overlap. In fact LSD is probably one of the most non-toxic, well tolerated chemicals you can put in your body. Once you get passed the prejudice and media nonsense the 'evil drugs' stereotype falls to pieces. The majority of drug users are just ordinary, functional, mostly young people. They are not 'druggies'.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 286
Original post by TurboCretin
Approval, moral high ground and shame have nothing to do with how well-justified your opinions are. You've admitted prejudice, so it's hard to see why people should think your opinions justified, don't you think?

This will go round and round...

Indeed, I am prejudiced to an extent, I admit that.
I think I'm pretty justified in it though, based on my own experiences.

Yeah, I get people won't accept my specific opinion, but surely it's not hard to see where I'm coming from?

I think my points are based on the "extreme" drug takers, not people who "smoke the odd joint".

I'll be honest, I'm not a drug counselor or expert, but the only thing I can think is that they must have been made illegal for a reason?
Exactly, that's where I'm coming from.

I'm sure there is probably a pretty big middle/upper class drugs scene, yeah.
I will inevitably come into contact with it one day I'm sure, I just don't want any part of it.

I'm actually quite shocked at the amount of people who support drugs on here, maybe that does make me naive. :s-smilie:

Like I said earlier...I'll agree to disagree. There are pros and cons to the habit, I guess. :K:

I posted on the thread in the beginning to explain that my experiences with drugs, although limited, have been negative. I didn't mean to offend anyone tbh, I think I probably cam across a bit too strong. Point taken. :rolleyes:

The middle/upper class drug scene is the biggest drug scene there is.
Reply 288
Original post by Captain Haddock
The chances are you will find yourself around 'the other side' at university. When people in this thread talk about 'drugs', they are referring to things like weed, LSD, MDMA and magic mushrooms. I know they can sound scary or whatever, but they really, truthfully are not. These are substances that have been proven in the lab and in the real world to be relatively harmless and generally non-addictive. In terms of harm they belong on a totally different scale to things like heroin, meth, crack and even alcohol, and socially, they seldom overlap. In fact LSD is probably one of the most non-toxic, well tolerated chemicals you can put in your body. Once you get passed the prejudice and media nonsense the 'evil drugs' stereotype falls to pieces. The majority of drug users are just ordinary, functional, mostly young people. They are not 'druggies'.

Hm, yeah, I think the penny has dropped - I've just realised I'm talking about the more "extreme" drugs, which is why I think I may have got lost in translation a bit. :rolleyes:

I admit I've had a one-off experience of drug usage, and yeah, I shouldn't generalize.

I think it's more about the person than the drugs, if that makes sense. :s-smilie:
I think I link my neighbors woman-beating, anti-social, ******** ways to his heroin usage, but I suppose not everyone is like that. It's him, not the drugs specifically, that I have a problem with.

I can't help but feel, in his case at least, his habit exacerbates the problem.
The other thing I disagree with is when children/innocent people are dragged into it, but aye, point taken. :^_^:
Reply 289
The middle/upper class drug scene is the biggest drug scene there is.

Hah, you're probs right.

I'm sure they have the money/medical resources to keep it behind closed doors and such.

Being honest, I'm 18, so haven't exactly got loads of life experience in this subject.
The most I have is A-Level Law and living next door to users. That is, heroin, hard-core drug users.

Maybe my opinions will change when I'm older, I'm open to it. :dontknow:
Reply 290
my experience with drugs was amazing, i do think about them a lot though i think i am a bit addicted lol

I'll be honest, I'm not a drug counselor or expert, but the only thing I can think is that they must have been made illegal for a reason?

In many cases, literally no.

Actually that's not quite accurate. In most cases there is some kind of political reasoning behind it, even when there is zero medical/public health rationale. Before being outlawed, LSD was being tested in psychiatric applications with very promising results. It was a massive breakthrough and many scientists sung its praises. Even the US government was exploring its uses in much darker, more clandestine ways (often randomly dosing people without telling them). It wasn't until counter-culture got a hold of it that they started to consider it 'dangerous', and it was outlawed despite not meeting any of the criteria for scheduling. MDMA was a similar case, and weed prohibition has a lot of racism and corporate lobbying in its history.

Basically, it's a load of rubbish and there is zero correlation between classification (ie A, B, C) and harm to the user. It's a massive con that criminalises countless young people and ruins their lives by sending them to prison for what is essentially a victimless crime.
(edited 11 years ago)
I've only read the first page of this thread so far, so to just answer the OP...

I think that drugs can be used recreationally and not be a problem. I also think that certain people need to be more careful then others, addictive personalities and all that. I do think that drug use should be legal. For one thing the underground depths of drug supply & demand cause a more disturbing level of crime than your small deals going on in clubs and back streets.

I have tried cannabis but not a fan really. I don't smoke otherwise so not sure if that makes any difference.
I would like to try ecstasy but because I take an SSRI (anti depressant) the effects would be completely lost on me, unfortunately. I tried MDMA and it did absolutely nothing, nada.
Tried ketamine twice, absolutely horrific both times. Spent the entire experience (x2) puking my guts out and thinking I was dead. Never again. Thought the first time was an unlucky one off, but clearly it doesn't agree with me.
I like coke. I do coke on special occasions usually when I go out. It is overpriced though and doesn't pair well if you suffer from anxiety, which I have a little lately so haven't enjoyed it as much. I do have to be careful with having a stop point with coke though, I know that from some bad experiences in the past. So you do have to be careful.

I'd be open to trying other stuff, like I said I do want to try E one day but know I'd need to come off my meds for a long period before it'd be worth trying it. I wouldn't touch meth or heroin, I don't think.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 293
In many cases, literally no.

Actually that's not quite accurate. In most cases there is some kind of political reasoning behind it, even when there is zero medical/public health rationale. Before being outlawed, LSD was being tested in psychiatric applications with very promising results. It was a massive breakthrough and many scientists sung its praises. Even the US government was exploring its uses in much darker, more clandestine ways (often randomly dosing people without telling them). It wasn't until counter-culture got a hold of it that they started to consider it 'dangerous', and it was outlawed despite not meeting any of the criteria for scheduling. MDMA was a similar case, and weed prohibition has a lot of racism and corporate lobbying in its history.

Basically, it's a load of rubbish and there is zero correlation between classification (ie A, B, C) and harm to the user. It's a massive con that criminalises countless young people and ruins their lives by sending them to prison for what is essentially a victimless crime.

Oh, fair enough.

Being totally honest, I've never looked into, well, any of that^ aha. Never thought of the political implications, but I guess they are pretty vast.
The vaguest knowledge I have of it it is the rumours of CIA involvement with drug trafficking/experiments(i think?), as you've said.

Victimless? Hm, depends if a user goes into criminal activity to fund it I guess.
Or commits a crime while under the influence. But yeah, if one person is involved then I suppose so.

I'll be honest, I think the judiciary are now being encouraged to put more emphasis on rehabilitation as 'punishment' for drug users. Drug dependency courses seem to be favored above custodial sentences these days.
I also recently took 2 tablets of paracetomol for a headache.

Being the rebel that I am :upyours:
Original post by Tier
I've tried all of the common drugs. Weed, alcohol, cocaine, shrooms, MDMA, speed. All of them were enjoyable apart from this one time I got conned a bag of weed that was laced with bleach. Worst experience of my life, I felt like I was going to die in the alleyway I collapsed in.

I don't have any grips with drugs. It's all about moderation. Couple of lines of coke are fine, just don't go and blow £100 in a binge. I've got a gluttonous personality myself, but I can control myself and realize when it's time to stop. Also, I try to never use drugs for comfort. That's when you start becoming reliant, and eventually addicted. I only use drugs with friends with the occasional spliff or glass of whiskey in the evening by myself, and when I create artistically. The later produces amazing results and can really enhance your abilities. I got an A* in my coursework, with a short story I wrote while high as hell and drunk on whiskey. :P

This^.
oh-poo.jpg
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Astronomical

definitely would
Original post by Steve1654
Overrated

Depends on what you take.
I like ecstacy, but others like weed more, others like mcat or mushrooms(I'm yet to try either of the latter 2 but I'll do it when I get back to uni)
Different feelings. Some like alcohol more. It all depends.

They're not overrated in my opinion, I used to think weed was overrated because I didn't take it properly. When I took it properly it feels so much better.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Dolly786
Why should the NHS waste their money on saving people like u.
Your signing a death warrant when u take drugs, is that why people take them? It's a temp fix, wouldn't it be better if u lot jumped under a train. ?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Lol, ignorance :rolleyes:

Latest

Trending

Trending