The Student Room Group

16 a young age...?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Teenager, although the Bus, Train and Airline prices would beg to differ :colonhash:
Teenager. Although I'm 17 and I'm going to be one of the youngest at uni so I'm going to be a baby. :biggrin:
Reply 62
You're a teenager. You may think you're old at 16 but you're not, I'm 22 and although I'm still young I've grown up a lot since I was 16.
Teenager, I'm 15 and most of my friends are no way near being considered "adults".
Reply 64
Not a child, not an adult. I think it's like being an adult-in-training.
Teenager, I'm 15 and most of my friends are no way near being considered "adults".
Teenager. Although mentally they can be adult. I'n only 14, but I know enough about monetary issues and am responsible enough to look after myself. Though that's probably because I like to be in control: I can't picture myself ever doing anything wild or crazy, even something as relatively mild as drinking or clubbing. Too many variables and risks for me.:/

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
numerically your a teen from 12 to 20

genetically your a young adult

morally your trapped in between as an adolescent
Reply 68
Depends whether your 10 or 30.

Only a sith deals in absolutes...
The age of legal capacity in Scotland is 16, so I suppose in Scotland a 16-year-old is an adult and a teenager... they're not mutually exclusive.
Original post by Scott1541
At 16 you're only an adult on the bus :wink:

You are only an adult where they cant make money off you! #lookingunder16ftw
Original post by Scott1541
At 16 you're only an adult on the bus :wink:

And holidays/cinemas :smile:
Obviously it will vary with each individual and their circumstances, but I think its safe to say at 16, most people (99.9%) aren't adults.

As for 18 year olds being adults, thats only legally speaking. Most 18 year olds haven't even finished developing yet, so no, I don't think they're fully grown adults at that age either.

Original post by skotch
When you're 16 you have to pay adult fares on the bus.

I wouldn't call 16 a child. I would call it a teenager as that's what it is... A 16 year old is not an adult.

Not in London.
Reply 73
Original post by Ice Constricter
Obviously it will vary with each individual and their circumstances, but I think its safe to say at 16, most people (99.9%) aren't adults.

As for 18 year olds being adults, thats only legally speaking. Most 18 year olds haven't even finished developing yet, so no, I don't think they're fully grown adults at that age either.

Not in London.

Someone mentioned it, so I assumed it had changed from everyone <18 being a 'child'.
16 you are still young.
I've always been considered mature for my age, and that's true... But looking back at when I was 16 I was still young, and I've done a hell of a lot of growing up and becoming an actual adult in the way I act and think since then (I'm almost 22).

Some people don't do this growing up until more like their mid twenties though, it really depends on your life situation. Living away from home certainly helped with some aspects of it, although other people I knew doing the same are still quite childish.
It's not something you can completely measure by numbers, but it's almost certain to say 16 is very young still and although you feel that you're older when you're 16, you'll always look back and realise that you weren't at all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending