The Student Room Group

GCSE Geography Coursework Advice Needed.

Hi guys, I got my results today and I was saddened with my overall Geography result. I am doing AQA Geography A and In my coursework I got 46/60 which equated to 79/100 ums. Overall I got 351/400 in Geography and I only need 9 ums to get 360/400 which equals and A*.

Now, my teacher graded my coursework at 58/60 and if my grade stood at that, I would get an A*. Sadly, it went down by 12 raw marks. I filled each and every criteria to get the highest grade in each section and I have no idea why the grade went down. Should I request a re-mark for my coursework? Any help and advice would help me a lot and thanks for reading and helping me.
Reply 1
Try and request a re-mark! This year the marked the our GCSE's really harsh so your mark might just go up :smile: I know quite a few people who didn't get the mark they wanted and are going to try getting their coursework re-marked as well. Its worth a try :smile:
I would ask what happened to the rest of the courseworks in your centre as if they'd all gone down by similar marks, then it was your teacher being to generous. Many people think they have got certain things, when they haven't and teachers seem to be getting more lenient with giving marks and coursework moderators are getting more and more annoyed, I'm a geography Coursework and Fieldwork & Skill Advisor for AQA. Also it will be internally moderated, it may have changed then.

Simks, not all GCSEs were marked harshly, it is based on the ability of the people doing the course.
Original post by clareramos
I would ask what happened to the rest of the courseworks in your centre as if they'd all gone down by similar marks, then it was your teacher being to generous. Many people think they have got certain things, when they haven't and teachers seem to be getting more lenient with giving marks and coursework moderators are getting more and more annoyed, I'm a geography Coursework and Fieldwork & Skill Advisor for AQA. Also it will be internally moderated, it may have changed then.

Simks, not all GCSEs were marked harshly, it is based on the ability of the people doing the course.

Hi, it seems like a lot of people in our class got around 58-60/60 marks and I over heard the teacher said that the coursework which got sent away got around 48/60 marks. I think that the teacher marked everyone quite highly. I have a feeling that everyone grades were pulled down quite a lot and that includes mine. What should I do ?
Original post by Hi, How are you ?
Hi, it seems like a lot of people in our class got around 58-60/60 marks and I over heard the teacher said that the coursework which got sent away got around 48/60 marks. I think that the teacher marked everyone quite highly. I have a feeling that everyone grades were pulled down quite a lot and that includes mine. What should I do ?

by sounds of it, your whole class has been pulled down, and managed to get hold of what I think is your classes results, and they all have gone down, so there's no real point you trying to get more marks I would just accept it, as it is still a good mark, especially for coursework.

There is a drive at the minute for improving coursework and fieldwork & Skills, even though funding is ending at the end of the year, trying to get it better and this is at the moment happening with primary aged kids, and teachers are being encouraged to do it at key stage 3, this has been going on for the past 2 years, but is picking up just as the money for it runs out.
by sounds of it, your whole class has been pulled down, and managed to get hold of what I think is your classes results, and they all have gone down, so there's no real point you trying to get more marks I would just accept it, as it is still a good mark, especially for coursework.

There is a drive at the minute for improving coursework and fieldwork & Skills, even though funding is ending at the end of the year, trying to get it better and this is at the moment happening with primary aged kids, and teachers are being encouraged to do it at key stage 3, this has been going on for the past 2 years, but is picking up just as the money for it runs out.

Hi, I wanted to know if you work at AQA and if you do, how much is it for the remark ? Thanks
Hi, I wanted to know if you work at AQA and if you do, how much is it for the remark ? Thanks

I work for AQA, but at A Level exams, not GCSE/

http://store.aqa.org.uk/admin/library/AQA-POST-RESULTS-FEES.PDF
I work for AQA, but at A Level exams, not GCSE/

http://store.aqa.org.uk/admin/library/AQA-POST-RESULTS-FEES.PDF

Hi, I don't really understand this information. Can you please tell me how much it would cost to remark cousrework with additional fees please? Thank you.
Hi, I don't really understand this information. Can you please tell me how much it would cost to remark cousrework with additional fees please? Thank you.

For coursework you want review of moderation.

look http://web.aqa.org.uk/exams-office/about-results/re-marks.php for more info.
Reply 9
almost exactly the same situation for me, except that my AQA geography coursework was originally marked at 53/60 by the class teacher, was then internally moderated up to 56/60 which should have given me a clear A*, but on my results I've been downgraded to a (high) C. Everyone I have spoken to thus far in my year group also got a C for their coursework, most having been downgraded from a mark equating to an A* or an A.

my school has a great record with GCSE Geography results in past years, presumably including controlled assessments, and the controlled assessment marks for all my other pieces of work in other subjects ( eg history, the three sciences and English stayed the same as the teachers award or were moderated upwards), so the school would appear to understand the marking criteria and standards expected.

we attended a recognised field centre for our data gathering, were strictly monitored to ensure our work was done within the time frames and in strictly controlled conditions. As with the sciences, we all checked our work against the assessment objectives so it is very hard to see how a piece of work can be marked down so drastically. The marks for the other exam papers are all A* and As across the class, it seems, so a C grade for the controlled assessment is difficult to understand as well as disappointing.
The geography marking grid is totally different to others, what a lot of teachers do is give marks for being on a border of two marks, and some external moderators will give the lower mark as they don't feel they've reached marks and don't know it enough to be given the higher marks.

Attending a field centre and doing it in the controlled times makes no difference to marks at all.

It sounds like that they are trying to pull the wool over AQAs eyes trying to make people have higher marks than they really should, which is why AQA moderate across the range, which is impacting on people who actually deserve the marks that they were given internally. It is surprisingly common.

You can have really good overall marks without controlled assessment, also there were changes a few years ago to the whole spec, it's only been in since 2009 so you're the 2nd year to do the spec fully, so a lot of teachers are still getting used to how the controlled assessment has changed.
Original post by GCSEGrace
almost exactly the same situation for me, except that my AQA geography coursework was originally marked at 53/60 by the class teacher, was then internally moderated up to 56/60 which should have given me a clear A*, but on my results I've been downgraded to a (high) C. Everyone I have spoken to thus far in my year group also got a C for their coursework, most having been downgraded from a mark equating to an A* or an A.

my school has a great record with GCSE Geography results in past years, presumably including controlled assessments, and the controlled assessment marks for all my other pieces of work in other subjects ( eg history, the three sciences and English stayed the same as the teachers award or were moderated upwards), so the school would appear to understand the marking criteria and standards expected.

we attended a recognised field centre for our data gathering, were strictly monitored to ensure our work was done within the time frames and in strictly controlled conditions. As with the sciences, we all checked our work against the assessment objectives so it is very hard to see how a piece of work can be marked down so drastically. The marks for the other exam papers are all A* and As across the class, it seems, so a C grade for the controlled assessment is difficult to understand as well as disappointing.

Hi, so what have you done since you got your results? Have you palnned anything?
Reply 12
School sent the whole cohort back....

most of us given more marks, and I personally got 9 more marks and so moved to an A* overall (just). Still only a Grade B for the coursework but hey......

In the letter written by the first moderator , the school was apparently told that insufficient emphasis was placed on the glossary of defined terms and so marks were limited to level One whatever the standard of data presentation and evaluation which followed. Second moderator clearly thought that was a little too harsh - though still didn't award marks above level 2.
I'm taking Geography GCSE A this year and have begun my River Study Coursework. I need to know if I can use personal pronouns atall in sections such as purpose of investigation, methods of collecting data etc.?:confused:
Reply 14
Hi,

This also happened to me, I went from a 57 to a 42 RAW dropping to 73 UMS and I only missed the A* by one UMS. I am hopeful that my teacher will send them for a remark however, this problem happened at my school last year so this year my teacher paid for an aqa examiner to mark them. Anybody else had this problem?

Thanks
Reply 15
pvm
Reply 16
hi I was wondering as your a coursework moderator, can you assess and look at my coursework so I know where to improve on. This can give me a good insight into what my grade actual grade would be.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending