The Student Room Group

GCSE's to GET 9 ?? How?

Hi all,
I will start my Year11 in September this year(2023)
I have to write GCSE's In 2024.
I don't know anything about gcse's.
I need help please. Please tell me as much information you can ASAP pls.
Im really worried.

Thank you
Original post by charan_007
Hi all,
Im really worried.

Thank you

Have you not done year 10 in UK? Are u from a different country?
Just wanna know since u mentioned u know nothing about GCSE's
(edited 8 months ago)
Hi all,
Im really worried.

Thank you

Assuming you just moved to the uk from an international country, you should already be given guidance on gcse, but here is a summary:

GCSE stands for General Certificate of Secondary Education and these exams are done during May of Yr 11.

In GCSE, there are two types of subjects you will do: core subjects (these subjects are mandatory) and optional subjects (these subjects are the ones that you picked before starting gcse).

Core subjects in the uk generally include Maths, English Language, English Literature and Science.
Optional subjects in the uk are around 4 subjects and it depends on what your school offers - you can do geography, history, languages, business studies, sociology, art, drama, music, computer science and so many more.

In your school you may be offered to do extra gcses, like gcse further maths or gcse triple science - during year 10, you do something called combined science and if you do well or are interested in science, you are offered triple science to do in year 11 and this is more difficult, but you leave with 3 gcse qualifications instead of 2 (which you would get if you pick to do double science).

GCSE grades use the 9-1 system. 9 is the highest gcse grade you can get and U means failed - most of the time, getting a gcse grade of 4 or 5 is a pass.

Every gcse subject has an exam board (common ones include AQA, Edexcel, Eduqas, OCR and WJEC), these exam boards have their own curriculum and different ways of running your exams. For example, AQA maths and Edexcel maths both have a different curriculum covering different topics and have different ways of examination. You need to check your school's curriculum to see which exam boards you have for your subjects.

If you hear something called coursework, it just means that you will be examined throughout Year 11 through mini examinations or assignments and the grades you get in these add up to make your final GCSE grade. If your subjects don't have coursework, it means that you will only be examined through your final exam in May and the grade you get from the final exam will make your final GCSE grade.

If anything I said doesn't make sense, you can do your own research on what gcses are, but I just gave a summary.

I hope that helps and good luck for year 11!
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Shubham9548
Have you not done year 10 in UK? Are u from a different country?
Just wanna know since u mentioned u know nothing about GCSE's

hi, thank you for replying.
Yes, I have done Year 10 in the UK.
I just really want to move up to higher.(I'm in set3 btw)
Reply 4
Original post by *LifeHappens*
Assuming you just moved to the uk from an international country, you should already be given guidance on gcse, but here is a summary:

GCSE stands for General Certificate of Secondary Education and these exams are done during May of Yr 11.

In GCSE, there are two types of subjects you will do: core subjects (these subjects are mandatory) and optional subjects (these subjects are the ones that you picked before starting gcse).

Core subjects in the uk generally include Maths, English Language, English Literature and Science.
Optional subjects in the uk are around 4 subjects and it depends on what your school offers - you can do geography, history, languages, business studies, sociology, art, drama, music, computer science and so many more.

In your school you may be offered to do extra gcses, like gcse further maths or gcse triple science - during year 10, you do something called combined science and if you do well or are interested in science, you are offered triple science to do in year 11 and this is more difficult, but you leave with 3 gcse qualifications instead of 2 (which you would get if you pick to do double science).

GCSE grades use the 9-1 system. 9 is the highest gcse grade you can get and U means failed - most of the time, getting a gcse grade of 4 or 5 is a pass.

Every gcse subject has an exam board (common ones include AQA, Edexcel, Eduqas, OCR and WJEC), these exam boards have their own curriculum and different ways of running your exams. For example, AQA maths and Edexcel maths both have a different curriculum covering different topics and have different ways of examination. You need to check your school's curriculum to see which exam boards you have for your subjects.

If you hear something called coursework, it just means that you will be examined throughout Year 11 through mini examinations or assignments and the grades you get in these add up to make your final GCSE grade. If your subjects don't have coursework, it means that you will only be examined through your final exam in May and the grade you get from the final exam will make your final GCSE grade.

If anything I said doesn't make sense, you can do your own research on what gcses are, but I just gave a summary.

I hope that helps and good luck for year 11!

Hi
Thank you so much for replying,
I've joined a different school in the month of January 2023 so i did not get the subjects I wanted.
These are the Subjects I do for GCSE's:

Maths (Set3(Really want to move up to higher)) (Edexcel)
Sciences (Set3(Really want to move up to higher)) (AQA)
English (Edexcel)
Geography (AQA ig)
History (Edexcel ig)
PE GCSE (AQA)
Product Design/DT (AQA)

so,yh
I better hope to do good.

thank you so much again.
Hi
I've joined a different school in the month of January 2023 so i did not get the subjects I wanted.

English (Edexcel)
Geography (AQA ig)
History (Edexcel ig)
PE GCSE (AQA)
Product Design/DT (AQA)

so,yh

thank you so much again.

Hello,

You should try bbc bitesize and specifically revisionbuddies.com is EXCELLENT to revise from and to get a grade 9 in geography. It is definitely WORTH THE £2.99 . Have a look on other courses as well on bitesize and revision buddies.

For Science, you have got (free science lessons) if u search that on google and find videos tailored to u plus you have got cognito. Search it up and its really good. If you do revision from those 2 AND CGP revision guide, I think you are pretty much guaranteed grade 8-8 in higher and definitely have the chance for 9.

With english, you have got Mr Everything English on you tube. Believe me, he is THE Best one for exam techniques and revisionbuddies is also REALLY Good for english literature.

For maths, my school offered us mathswatch and it was a life saver. Alternatively, if your school doesn't, you can still find lots of helpful resources on youtube and google. Do check them out. I think you have got PMT(physics and maths tutor) for maths.

I did DT but didn't like it so wouldn't give any advice on it and the other subjects which I didn't study.

Anyways, All the best!
Reply 6
Original post by Shubham9548
Hello,

You should try bbc bitesize and specifically revisionbuddies.com is EXCELLENT to revise from and to get a grade 9 in geography. It is definitely WORTH THE £2.99 . Have a look on other courses as well on bitesize and revision buddies.

For Science, you have got (free science lessons) if u search that on google and find videos tailored to u plus you have got cognito. Search it up and its really good. If you do revision from those 2 AND CGP revision guide, I think you are pretty much guaranteed grade 8-8 in higher and definitely have the chance for 9.

With english, you have got Mr Everything English on you tube. Believe me, he is THE Best one for exam techniques and revisionbuddies is also REALLY Good for english literature.

For maths, my school offered us mathswatch and it was a life saver. Alternatively, if your school doesn't, you can still find lots of helpful resources on youtube and google. Do check them out. I think you have got PMT(physics and maths tutor) for maths.

I did DT but didn't like it so wouldn't give any advice on it and the other subjects which I didn't study.

Anyways, All the best!

Hi,
Thank you so much for your reply and advice.
Sure i will definitely look through your recommendations.

Thank you so much.
😀😊🙂
Hi

English (Edexcel)
Geography (AQA ig)
History (Edexcel ig)
PE GCSE (AQA)
Product Design/DT (AQA)

so,yh

thank you so much again.

I can give you some tips for maths and science which really helped me

For maths use maths genie, gcse maths tutor (they have a website and youtube channel) and mme revise. Aim to practice consistently, because that's the best way you can move forward in maths. And don't get discouraged if you get a question wrong in a topic you are confident in, just copy down the steps from the mark scheme and learn from it - because every time you practice, you will get more and more confident in your maths, so keep going!

For science, use the aqa specification (it's like a checklist and tells you everything you need to know for your exams) - also use physics and maths tutor and mme revise for practice questions. And for science, make sure you revise all of your practicals and know your equations, as these are the easiest ways to get marks.

Happy to help!
Reply 8
Original post by *LifeHappens*
I can give you some tips for maths and science which really helped me

For maths use maths genie, gcse maths tutor (they have a website and youtube channel) and mme revise. Aim to practice consistently, because that's the best way you can move forward in maths. And don't get discouraged if you get a question wrong in a topic you are confident in, just copy down the steps from the mark scheme and learn from it - because every time you practice, you will get more and more confident in your maths, so keep going!

For science, use the aqa specification (it's like a checklist and tells you everything you need to know for your exams) - also use physics and maths tutor and mme revise for practice questions. And for science, make sure you revise all of your practicals and know your equations, as these are the easiest ways to get marks.

Happy to help!

Hi,
Thank you so much again for the information provided.
I will follow those.

Thank you so much again.
Hi

English (Edexcel)
Geography (AQA ig)
History (Edexcel ig)
PE GCSE (AQA)
Product Design/DT (AQA)

so,yh

thank you so much again.

If u want to move higher and think ur capable get ur parents to speak to ur teacher

OR MOVE SCHOOLS

I hate the foundation. Paper
Reply 10
Original post by aspiringmedic26
If u want to move higher and think ur capable get ur parents to speak to ur teacher

OR MOVE SCHOOLS

I hate the foundation. Paper

yes
Yh my parents did talk to my head of maths and science. And they said that if i do good in these November mocks, they might move me up.

Science i am targeted 5-5
But maths im targeted 4.
hi, thank you for replying.
Yes, I have done Year 10 in the UK.
I just really want to move up to higher.(I'm in set3 btw)

I would say pick the topics you udnerstnad the least maybe 3 and then practise them by first re-learning them by watching GCSE maths videos for your exam board and then doing practise questions.

Quick Reply

Latest