The Student Room Group

La Sociedad Española

Scroll to see replies

kellywood_5
AQA, the linear course (3691).

Ah, I'm doing Edexcel.
Yeah, I'm on Edexcel too.

Kelly, the gerund is like -ing in English. So for example, when you say "I spent all day cleaning the house", you use "Pasé todo el día limpiando la casa". For -ar verbs you take off the ending and add -ando; for -er and -ir verbs you add -iendo. There are a few irregular endings as well, like yendo for ir.
Excalibur

Kelly, the gerund is like -ing in English. So for example, when you say "I spent all day cleaning the house", you use "Pasé todo el día limpiando la casa". For -ar verbs you take off the ending and add -ando; for -er and -ir verbs you add -iendo. :smile:

The fact that you're at GCSE and you know that makes me want to cry :frown:
but the gerund isn't as common in spanish as it is in english - i'm scared of using it with anything but estar! we were never really taught that much about it apart from that you can't say <<me gusta jugando al futbol>> so I normally steer clear!

and the ir -> yendo one is really strange, never heard or seen it being used, any examples?
Reply 184
Hashshashin
Have you not covered gerunds, imperatives etc in French A level?

I'm really not sure about this, so feel free to throw rocks at me for being thick, but I really don't think that French has gerunds, at least not ones that are at all widely used:confused:
Reply 185
goonerjack
but the gerund isn't as common in spanish as it is in english - i'm scared of using it with anything but estar! we were never really taught that much about it apart from that you can't say <<me gusta jugando al futbol>> so I normally steer clear!

and the ir -> yendo one is really strange, never heard or seen it being used, any examples?

I think it's gaining prominence actually, probably from contact with English. You can use it like so:
I killed him by eating him : Le maté Comiéndole.
You don't need to supply the 'by', it's just implied.

I know it's a random example but it's (worryingly) the first thing that came into my head:redface:
brimstone
The fact that you're at GCSE and you know that makes me want to cry :frown:

:hugs: Don't worry, I've hardly ever come across it at GCSE, except for the present continuous ("I am watching..." --> "Estoy viendo") and past continuous ("I was watching" --> "Estaba viendo"). That's the only context where I've ever come across gerunds. I'm feeling very demotivated with revision in general at the moment... I feel like I could cry as well. Revision's not going the way I've planned it to :frown:
Reply 187
Excalibur
Revision's not going the way I've planned it to :frown:

Same. My revision plans involve insane amounts of work, which scare me when I get to actually doing it, which makes me not do work, which make me have more work by the time I need to make another revision plan (vicious circle):frown:
But until I sort that out, I'm off to bed:smile:
(mental note, talk more about Spanish tomorrow)
With Spanish I don't really have a revision plan, just watch spanish TV, read the newspaper etc and keep it ticking over at school, however this year's gonna be different, gotta learn a lot for culture and society, haven't even done any vocab learning in at least a year :redface:... and we're told to do 5 words a day lol
paddy357
I'm really not sure about this, so feel free to throw rocks at me for being thick, but I really don't think that French has gerunds, at least not ones that are at all widely used:confused:

In French there is the géronidf: En rentrant, j'ai trouvé une lettre.
Excalibur

Kelly, the gerund is like -ing in English. So for example, when you say "I spent all day cleaning the house", you use "Pasé todo el día limpiando la casa". For -ar verbs you take off the ending and add -ando; for -er and -ir verbs you add -iendo. There are a few irregular endings as well, like yendo for ir.

Ahhh OK, I thought it was something like that, I just hadn't learnt the endings yet, but they seem quite easy to remember. I don't know why you're always worrying about your Spanish exams- from what I've seen on here, you seem brilliant at it :smile:
Excalibur
I'm feeling very demotivated with revision in general at the moment... I feel like I could cry as well. Revision's not going the way I've planned it to :frown:

Yeah, my revision isn't going as I planned either. When I get started revising a topic, I'm OK, but it's actually motivating myself to get started. GCSEs = too much to remember :frown:
Reply 192
Jammertal
In French there is the géronidf: En rentrant, j'ai trouvé une lettre.

O rite, I forgot about that (then again I did stop doing French a year ago). It's not really used in the same way as in Spanish and English tho, you can't form a present continuous tense with it.
So let's talk about Spanish:biggrin:
My brain's not working today:redface:
paddy357
My brain's not working today:redface:

Too much revision?!
Reply 194
Jammertal
Too much revision?!

Lol no, I'm doing sod all revision:frown:
It's not that I don't want to, it's just that I really hate it:frown:
I should probably make myself go and do some actually, or at least do my holiday work, or my teachers are going to eat me alive, rotissary style:frown:
Jammertal
Too much revision?!

Thank you for the rep Jammertal :hugs:
OK, just gone in to school for a few hours and been given a past writing paper to do, sample conversation questions to prepare and found out I need to give a 30-90 second presentation. I also need to do reading and listening past papers, and before I can even start all that, I need to actually finish my damn course, go through my revision guide and attempt to learn all the vocab and grammar. I have a mock oral on the 28th April and the real one is the 5th May, a week before my French one on the 11th. That's on top of all the homework I have to do and all the revision I should be starting for my 4 A2s. *Completely panics and goes to cry in corner* :ahhhhh:
Aw... :hugs:... don't worry, you'll do fine. How much do you need a good pass for Spanish? Is it necessary to get into your chosen uni?
kellywood_5
*Completely panics and goes to cry in corner*

Better just to start doing work. And don't worry, you will be fine. :smile: And always keep watching at the bright side of things: the sooner exams come, the sooner are they over.
Reply 199
kellywood_5
OK, just gone in to school for a few hours and been given a past writing paper to do, sample conversation questions to prepare and found out I need to give a 30-90 minute presentation. I also need to do reading and listening past papers, and before I can even start all that, I need to actually finish my damn course, go through my revision guide and attempt to learn all the vocab and grammar. I have a mock oral on the 28th April and the real one is the 5th May, a week before my French one on the 11th. That's on top of all the homework I have to do and all the revision I should be starting for my 4 A2s. *Completely panics and goes to cry in corner* :ahhhhh:

My God woman are they trying to kill you?!:eek:
30-90 minute presentation? WTF how do you make one that long?
Don't worry, you'll do great I'm sure:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending