Dhaka Bengali confuses me! Shout out to Sylheti manush lol

hi there!

what makes you say that?
Reply 1581
Original post by Ayesha1234
Hey, how's it going? Yep :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

not too bad, thanks
nice to know you are a bengali too. where are you currently studying?
Reply 1582
Original post by ZazDogg
Nomoshkar, shobai keman achen? It's been a long time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

bhalo achi, apni kemon?
you are a hindu right?
Reply 1583
Original post by ZazDogg
Same, I know a lot more Urdu than Bengali. I really wanted to speak Bangla but I can't mainly because I can't communicate with people who speak Assamese/Sylheti. It's a totally different language.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol that's funny because when I meet Kolkata people l, I speak to them in sylheti Bengali and they seem to understand. Well... I think they did. But I couldn't ever understand them.
Lay off the dhali boras, samosas and fiyazi this Ramadan you banglas eat like there's no tomorrow.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1585
Original post by SyedaK
Lol that's funny because when I meet Kolkata people l, I speak to them in sylheti Bengali and they seem to understand. Well... I think they did. But I couldn't ever understand them.

may be because kolkata people tend to speak bengali in a really "shuddhu" way, as in properly, with no varying accents. but when it comes to sylheti bengali, its different and unique, with its own bengali accent.
Reply 1586
Original post by silent ninja
Lay off the dhali boras, samosas and fiyazi this Ramadan you banglas eat like there's no tomorrow.

Posted from TSR Mobile

should i take that as a stigma?
Reply 1587
Original post by mhb6
bhalo achi, apni kemon?
you are a hindu right?

Ami Bhallo achi. Nope, I'm a Muslim and I've been Muslim for few years now. What makes you think I am a Hindu?
Reply 1588
Original post by mhb6
may be because kolkata people tend to speak bengali in a really "shuddhu" way, as in properly, with no varying accents. but when it comes to sylheti bengali, its different and unique, with its own bengali accent.

Most people think our Bangla is the poshest. It is the London equivalent of English. I don't think it's posh. I think it's normal.
Original post by mhb6
not too bad, thanks
nice to know you are a bengali too. where are you currently studying?

Cool, well this is the Bengali soc lol. I'm studying Politics at the moment, you?

Nice to see some new people posting :biggrin:
Original post by ZazDogg
Most people think our Bangla is the poshest. It is the London equivalent of English. I don't think it's posh. I think it's normal.

Lol Dhaka Bangla is quite posh in my opinion. Although I only understand parts of it, I think it's really cute and polite. I'd like to see an angry Dhaka person :tongue:
Reply 1591
Original post by ZazDogg
Ami Bhallo achi. Nope, I'm a Muslim and I've been Muslim for few years now. What makes you think I am a Hindu?

oh so you are a convert. that shows lot of fortitude. so how are you finding the new religion?

as far as i know Hindu people generally greet someone with Nomoshkar,
at least that's what i found in Indian channels. can't remember when was the last time a muslim greeted someone with that word.
Reply 1592
Original post by ZazDogg

to be more precise, its the BBC's version of English, cos in London you have people who have cockney accent, which i don't think is normal. but yea, i agree its nothing posh, but just normal.
Reply 1593
Lol Dhaka Bangla is quite posh in my opinion. Although I only understand parts of it, I think it's really cute and polite. I'd like to see an angry Dhaka person :tongue:

I don't see much difference between Dhaka Bengali and our Bengali. Please someone tell me the difference.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1594
Original post by mhb6
oh so you are a convert. that shows lot of fortitude. so how are you finding the new religion?

as far as i know Hindu people generally greet someone with Nomoshkar,
at least that's what i found in Indian channels. can't remember when was the last time a muslim greeted someone with that word.

I'm finding Islam great. Aaj kee raat Ramadam shuru hobbe in sha Allah.

Yes Hindus use that term, I use both terms because the place where I am originally from had a mix of Hindus and Muslims.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1595

Does that mean you are a Sylheti Bengali? I recently saw this Sylheti guy on you tube called AliOfficial1 and he seems quite funny. Have you seen his videos?

no you don't want to see that. They can be quite foul mouthed.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1596
Original post by ZazDogg
I don't see much difference between Dhaka Bengali and our Bengali. Please someone tell me the difference.

Posted from TSR Mobile

its a bit like Geordie accent (Sylheti) compared to BBC English (Dhaka), if you know what i mean. don't take it in literal terms but just trying to give an idea :smile:
Reply 1597
Original post by mhb6
its a bit like Geordie accent (Sylheti) compared to BBC English (Dhaka), if you know what i mean. don't take it in literal terms but just trying to give an idea :smile:

I don't speak Sylheti I speak Kolkatan. I was asking what is the difference between Kolkatan and Dhakan.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ZazDogg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol, I think I speak a much rougher dialect of Sylheti Bangla to you :biggrin:

Original post by mhb6
Does that mean you are a Sylheti Bengali? I recently saw this Sylheti guy on you tube called AliOfficial1 and he seems quite funny. Have you seen his videos?

no you don't want to see that. They can be quite foul mouthed.

Yep, are you? Lol, I haven't seen any of his recent videos, but I have seen one of them. It was about stuff Bengali people do. :mmm:
Reply 1599
Original post by ZazDogg
I'm finding Islam great. Aaj kee raat Ramadam shuru hobbe in sha Allah.

Yes Hindus use that term, I use both terms because the place where I am originally from had a mix of Hindus and Muslims.
Posted from TSR Mobile

happy to know your liking for the new religion, especially it seems you are less effected by the negative coverage Islam gets from media which makes it even more special. oh yeah, Ramadan is right around the corner, hope you will be able to keep all the fasts :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest