The Student Room Group

I Hate My Teeth!

I just want to know what people think about other people when they have non-perfect or wonky teeth? Do you notice it and think "ew!" or do you not really care and see past that?
The reason I ask is I personally feel I have terrible teeth, not cleanliness wise but how they look. I never show anyone and I'm so self conscious about it.
Where I used to suck my thumb when I was young my front teeth are slightly forward, not as much as to stick out but they do leave an indent on my bottom lip, my other teeth are wonky as hell and all over the place.
With my mouth closed I look normal and I try to hide them as much as possible when I talk, yawn or whatever.
Does anyone else feel the same way or have any advice on dealing with this that doesn't require surgery as I really do not have the money for it!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPad App (like a baus!)
Reply 1
When you look carefully at everyone else's teeth, theirs aren't perfect. My teeth aren't perfect. They have jaggedy edges and are slightly yellow in places, but no-one notices, and if they do they don't mention it. In all honesty no-one really cares.

If someone has said something horrible about you, then take no notice. They must have esteem problems if they go to such lengths to make others feel small.

The best advice I can give is to be confident and happy. People look past little things on the outside and their attention is drawn to what you think and what you have to say.

Be happy in your skin and stay positive :smile:
Reply 2
Unfortunately, thanks to the media, society and all other bull, I think a lot of people do notice if you don't have that "Hollywood like" smile. Only thing you can really do is accept it, be confident and if anyone says anything bad just shrug it off. Takes some mental strength for this though!

My teeth are crooked also, and it's pretty much ruled my life. Of course I only have myself to blame for constantly shunning the dentists when I was a teenager - just hated going there. Getting treatment at the minute. Sure it's not cheap but it'll be worth it in the end. As soon as you get some money, try and get it sorted ASAP.
I know how you feel, my teeth are generally quite good except for one which is twisted so leaves a gap, luckily it's at the side of my mouth do not always obvious however I never smile with teeth showing. I really wanted invisible braces but my dentist said they would be about £2000 and I don't qualify for help from the Nhs as it isn't a 'severe' problem. No one has commented on it though but I hate it!
I was wondering about this question too, about whether wonky teeth are a turn off.
Mine aren't straight, and the front two are slightly discoloured as a result of a dental operation I had when I was about 8 years old. Sometimes it doesn't bother me but other times I really regret not getting braces (my orthodontist had previously told me it was borderline as to whether I needed them.)

Still debating getting them but don't want to be a 21 year old with braces....
(edited 11 years ago)
My teeth aren't anywhere near being straight. I'm the same as the previous poster. A lot of the time I don't care. Other times I wish I'd had them straightened but after a few procedures and an operation on my teeth I was sick of having stuff done to them so I didn't bother. Now it would cost far too much money.

As someone else said, I've never had anyone say anything but I guess that doesn't mean that they don't. I don't really let it bother me any more but I do tend to cover my mouth when I meet someone new. Over time I'll feel more comfortable around them and let my guard down.
Reply 6
I have a gap between my two front teeth (which in my opinion is about the worst thing you can have) its not so big but very noticable to me at least, i have an overbite which makes me look young in the face, and a slight overjet. the worst thing is i wore a horrible retainer for a year when i was 14 to pull my jaw forward to correct my overbite and it didnt even do anything, so i never bothered to continue with braces or anything i was so mad.

I kind of tend to keep them as white as possible to make up for the other things. i think people will only be put off if teeth are yellow anyway, if they're crooked but white no one will care. ( thats what i tell myself anyway)
Reply 7
My teeth are defo not perfect. My baby tooth (the bottom middle tooth) was so strong that it didn't fall out when it was supposed to, and my adult tooth grew behind it, leaving me with two teeth behind each other until I got fed up and built to courage and violently yanked out my baby tooth. So now my front tooth is slightly behind the rest of my teeth and it looks ****ing trampish if you stare at it for too long. Have to get braces to straighten it out now.
Reply 8
Original post by oldham_fran
Still debating getting them but don't want to be a 21 year old with braces....

Just get them, what does your age matter? There's been 40+ year olds who have got them done. At the end of the day, your teeth will come out on top because of it. Longer you put if off, the longer you will wait and regret.

Quick Reply

Latest