The Student Room Group

Daraya, Sryia: Latest Massacre done by rebels - Robert Fisk

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
What's your point? That both sides have killed civilians? I think by now we're all more or less aware that the "Arab Spring" isn't going to bring about peace-loving, free democracies with the rule of law like so many initially hoped it would.
Reply 2
Original post by UniOfLife
What's your point? That both sides have killed civilians? I think by now we're all more or less aware that the "Arab Spring" isn't going to bring about peace-loving, free democracies with the rule of law like so many initially hoped it would.

Yeah, they are both bad, just leave them to it, what happens happens, either way we should stay out of it
Reply 3
Original post by UniOfLife

That is certainly not what we are being sold in the mainstream media.

The arab spring has been largely negative, yet any sort of general update, report or documentary puts a positive, pro-democracy, secular spin on it.

And my point is that the latest and largest massacre was commited by the rebels against not just troops or Shabiha, by normal public sector workers like Postal workers, police, civil servants .... Yet every major source (apart from the Indy with Robert Fisk) tells us that the government as just killed "civilians" (how general, right?), citing their source as being from "activists" (seriously that word really ****** me off).
More news on acts of Human evil?
Reply 5
Original post by prog2djent
That is certainly not what we are being sold in the mainstream media.

The arab spring has been largely negative, yet any sort of general update, report or documentary puts a positive, pro-democracy, secular spin on it.

And my point is that the latest and largest massacre was commited by the rebels against not just troops or Shabiha, by normal public sector workers like Postal workers, police, civil servants .... Yet every major source (apart from the Indy with Robert Fisk) tells us that the government as just killed "civilians" (how general, right?), citing their source as being from "activists" (seriously that word really ****** me off).

The inability of "mainstream" media (and indeed any other media for that matter) to report things as they actually are is not something specific to the Arab Spring but to every topic. Real life is far too complicated to be properly presented and so details are removed and a simple story is presented.

Your article doesn't support your claim, by the way. Fisk's article doesn't provide evidence that everyone who was killed in Daraya was killed by anti-government forces, only that some were. In all likelihood it was a mixture of the two.

Two final points. Yes the BBC relies on dodgy reports from "activists" but then Fisk's report is equally unreliable given that he was accompanied everywhere by Syrian troops. His article includes some classic lines such as:

Officially, no word of such talks between the enemies has been mentioned. But senior Syrian officers told The Independent how they had "exhausted all possibilities of reconciliation" with those holding the town

Which is of course trustworthy because senior Syrian officers wouldn't lie. And then:

Another man said that, although he had not seen the dead in the graveyard, he believed that most were related to the government army and included several off-duty conscripts.

Well if he believes it with no evidence whatsoever then that's fine.

There is a reason why "Fisking" is now a common phrase.

To sum up, the Arab Spring is a perfect example of a conflict in which everyone who values freedom and liberty should want both sides to lose. Although some of the anti-government types do want proper democracy and freedom, most do not. Its just an excuse to replace one lot of dictators with another lot. From the little I know of it, it appears little different from the Iranian revolution which turned out pretty badly for everyone, except the new dictators of course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending