The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society MKVIII

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rmhumphries
Bad things happen though - what if they are claiming responsibility for something which isn't actually them. If I predict each day that is going to rain, then one day sooner or later it will rain, but it isn't my predicting that caused it to happen. So could it not be the same thing, they say lots and lots that bad things will happen if you don't do anything, and then sometimes something bad happens anyway, and they say "Look, we told you so" when it was actually just coincidence.

It seems like a really really really big coincidence.
Original post by Sabertooth
It seems like a really really really big coincidence.

How many times have they said something bad will happen, and then nothing did? Or - further on that, how many times they have said anything which later turned out to be not true? I can think of about 3 things that have happened in the last 2 weeks off the top of my head. Can you really trust them?
Goddamnit I feel so ****ty. :cry:

- I'm never going to get a job, I keep looking at places thinking whether I'd like to work there but then I realize I'm just kidding myself, there's no way in hell I could hold a job down. When I had a job in the past everyone hated me, and that was before I got depressed, who would ****ing hire me now?
- I got next to no friends. 4 years alone watching everyone else make friends and have fun.
- I have a ****ty worthless degree. Ok it's from a "good" university but then you look at the grade and see how **** it is and how **** I am for only managing that **** grade. Most people get a 2:1, good people get a first, that puts me well below average. How can I be below average? Average is pretty ****ing dumb.
- I'm going to a ****ty university for my masters. Does it even matter if I give in my dissertation? People are going to see it on my CV (in that job that I'm obviously gonna get) and just laugh me out of there. I see zero point in doing the dissertation. The idea was to prove to myself that I could better a 2:2 but you can't better something with a **** university. Especially when you can't even ****ing do it.
- I still got all these ****ing side effects from drugs that do **** all, why am I taking this ****????
- I still haven't lost the weight I wanted to. I go to the gym as much as I can, I push myself until I nearly puke pretty much everytime but then I look in the mirror and I want to cry/do actually cry, I let my girlfriend down looking like a fat **** I don't know how she can bear to be seen with me. I'd be embarrassed.

I was looking up how much it'd cost for a certain sure fire way to kill myself the other day, voices keep telling me over and over I should've spent the £4, I'd have it by now and I could do it. I just feel so so so so ****. I don't know how anyone here can bear to talk to me. In rl no one talks to me if you knew what I am like you guys wouldn't either. I'm hardly even a student now, I'm 24 and hang around with kids here. That makes me creepy on top of everything else. I feel so hopeless and ****.

- You have a few friends though, and I know at least one of them thinks the world of you; I myself would do a lot for you. Plus you have your girlfriend. IMO, it is better to have a very small number of very close friends than 20-30 friends you can hang out with, but you can't trust any of them.
- I thought the average degree grade was 2:2? Besides, you have reasonable extenuating circumstances tbh. For your masters, you again at at a middle-ground uni, not a really bad one. At postgrad level though, what uni matters less, they may more attention to things like what you did your dissertation on and so-on - so it is worth completing it, you can do, and you will be able to go forward with your degree.
- The weight can be put down to the drugs (not to mention a good amount of muscle, how else could you have beat me at wrestling. I am going to trust your girlfriend's judgement of your fatness over yours - I think you over-analysis and are too strict on yourself.

I know what you are like, as does The Wolf, and several others of us have met you. So the whole 'we wouldn't talk to you if we knew what you were like' doesn't wash. You are still a student, several of us are a similar age, and there are much older members on TSR. So you are hardly creepy, wait until you are like 50 and still here and then maybe you will be right.
Original post by rmhumphries
- You have a few friends though, and I know at least one of them thinks the world of you; I myself would do a lot for you. Plus you have your girlfriend. IMO, it is better to have a very small number of very close friends than 20-30 friends you can hang out with, but you can't trust any of them.
- I thought the average degree grade was 2:2? Besides, you have reasonable extenuating circumstances tbh. For your masters, you again at at a middle-ground uni, not a really bad one. At postgrad level though, what uni matters less, they may more attention to things like what you did your dissertation on and so-on - so it is worth completing it, you can do, and you will be able to go forward with your degree.
- The weight can be put down to the drugs (not to mention a good amount of muscle, how else could you have beat me at wrestling. I am going to trust your girlfriend's judgement of your fatness over yours - I think you over-analysis and are too strict on yourself.

I know what you are like, as does The Wolf, and several others of us have met you. So the whole 'we wouldn't talk to you if we knew what you were like' doesn't wash. You are still a student, several of us are a similar age, and there are much older members on TSR. So you are hardly creepy, wait until you are like 50 and still here and then maybe you will be right.

Thanks for taking the time to read my ramblings and actually reply as well. Really appreciate it.

I get what you mean about friends and yes the ones I do have are amazing I just wish I could be more like my cousins on facebook. It's always "in the pub with my mates", "gone gokarting with my mates", "playing paintball with the guys". It seems like they spend next to no time alone and are always doing something cool. I really appreciate you and The Wolf but I can't exactly go for a beer with you guys after a busy day because of mostly the distance. I just wish I had a group of people I could hang out with on a more consistent basis.

Average is a 2:1 :
"The upper second class degree is the most common degree that was awarded in 2008 and has been for some years" http://www.allaboutlaw.co.uk/index.php/undergraduates/you-really-ought-to-know/undergraduate-degree-classification-explained/
The extenuating circumstances don't matter ****. If I put on my CV that I had extenuating circumstances it's gonna go right in the bin. Of course they'll deny it's because of that but that doesn't change anything.

Middle ground? I just checked the Guardian guide and it's in the bottom 10%. That's pretty poor.

It doesn't entirely matter if the fat is down to the drugs (I agree it probably is), I'd still look awful going on a beach with my girlfriend which is where it matters. Not to mention her having to look at me when we're together.

Ok fine :colonhash: you and the Wolf probably do have a decent idea of what I'm like, I'll give you that one doesn't make it any easier to work out how you can think that though. :confused: I don't really plan on living until 50 but if I did I wouldn't be on TSR I'd be at the skatepark on my hoverboard - been my dream ever since Trickstyle.

- I'm never going to get a job, I keep looking at places thinking whether I'd like to work there but then I realize I'm just kidding myself, there's no way in hell I could hold a job down. When I had a job in the past everyone hated me, and that was before I got depressed, who would ****ing hire me now?
- I got next to no friends. 4 years alone watching everyone else make friends and have fun.
- I have a ****ty worthless degree. Ok it's from a "good" university but then you look at the grade and see how **** it is and how **** I am for only managing that **** grade. Most people get a 2:1, good people get a first, that puts me well below average. How can I be below average? Average is pretty ****ing dumb.
- I'm going to a ****ty university for my masters. Does it even matter if I give in my dissertation? People are going to see it on my CV (in that job that I'm obviously gonna get) and just laugh me out of there. I see zero point in doing the dissertation. The idea was to prove to myself that I could better a 2:2 but you can't better something with a **** university. Especially when you can't even ****ing do it.
- I still got all these ****ing side effects from drugs that do **** all, why am I taking this ****????
- I still haven't lost the weight I wanted to. I go to the gym as much as I can, I push myself until I nearly puke pretty much everytime but then I look in the mirror and I want to cry/do actually cry, I let my girlfriend down looking like a fat **** I don't know how she can bear to be seen with me. I'd be embarrassed.

I was looking up how much it'd cost for a certain sure fire way to kill myself the other day, voices keep telling me over and over I should've spent the £4, I'd have it by now and I could do it. I just feel so so so so ****. I don't know how anyone here can bear to talk to me. In rl no one talks to me if you knew what I am like you guys wouldn't either. I'm hardly even a student now, I'm 24 and hang around with kids here. That makes me creepy on top of everything else. I feel so hopeless and ****.

You don't know that, because you don't know how things might change/improve in the future.

Okay, but you do have some friends. And like Rob says, better to have a small group of close friends than a massive group of more distant ones.

It's not worthless, and you know you would have done better if you hadn't been ill. You can't help that. The fact that you have a degree puts you well above a large majority of people.

Not everyone does a masters, completing one, once again, puts you way above a lot of people. Plus, once again, you're not very well, and you can't help that.

Because you need to take them in order to work out which medications and which dosages work for you.

You aren't fat! You look thinner than me, and my BMI is average :tongue:

If you do that then you can't do loads of awesome things like get married, so really, is it worth it when you have no idea whether things will be 100x better a week, month, or year from now?

You most definitely aren't creepy!

:jumphug:
Original post by bytail

You don't know that, because you don't know how things might change/improve in the future.

Okay, but you do have some friends. And like Rob says, better to have a small group of close friends than a massive group of more distant ones.

It's not worthless, and you know you would have done better if you hadn't been ill. You can't help that. The fact that you have a degree puts you well above a large majority of people.

Not everyone does a masters, completing one, once again, puts you way above a lot of people. Plus, once again, you're not very well, and you can't help that.

Because you need to take them in order to work out which medications and which dosages work for you.

You aren't fat! You look thinner than me, and my BMI is average :tongue:

If you do that then you can't do loads of awesome things like get married, so really, is it worth it when you have no idea whether things will be 100x better a week, month, or year from now?

You most definitely aren't creepy!

:jumphug:

You're right that I don't know where things are going to be in the future, but I know that I wouldn't employ me, not a chance. And if I wouldn't, I really can't expect other people to want to. People say they're not allowed to discriminate, but they definitely do. And if by some miracle I got a job I'd probably get fired the next week.

Tbh, rather than get into 10s of thousands of pounds of debt, if I'd spent the last 6 years working I could have moved my way up the ladder and be in a much better position than now with a ****ty degree. The same applies for the masters. Experience is probably way more valuable than a 2:2 and a masters from a bottom 10% university.

I'm much fatter than you. :confused: My BMI is right at the top of the "normal" range.

I'm sorry to be so negative.:frown:

Shouldn't you be tucked up in bed? You've got an early start tomorrow :tongue:

sabertooth, which uni did you go and which one for masters? i bet its so top, but just not tsr top! dont be so hard on yourself.

You're right that I don't know where things are going to be in the future, but I know that I wouldn't employ me, not a chance. And if I wouldn't, I really can't expect other people to want to. People say they're not allowed to discriminate, but they definitely do. And if by some miracle I got a job I'd probably get fired the next week.

Tbh, rather than get into 10s of thousands of pounds of debt, if I'd spent the last 6 years working I could have moved my way up the ladder and be in a much better position than now with a ****ty degree. The same applies for the masters. Experience is probably way more valuable than a 2:2 and a masters from a bottom 10% university.

I'm much fatter than you. :confused: My BMI is right at the top of the "normal" range.

I'm sorry to be so negative.:frown:

Shouldn't you be tucked up in bed? You've got an early start tomorrow :tongue:

But we all hold ourselves to higher standards than others. Just because you don't think you're worth employing doesn't mean that other people think the same thing! I know that people discriminate, but if you get to a point where your health is stable, then you'll be in a far better position to get yourself a job. Worry about your health first, and getting a job later.

Even though, by your own admission, you'd probably have been fired by now? :tongue: Better to have done something productive with those 6 years
than to have bounced from job to job.

I disagree :rolleyes: Lets see, my BMI is around 23/24, so right at the top of "normal", and I don't have the excuse that my medication causes weight gain :tongue: Look at it this way, even if you weighed a stone less, you might still look in the mirror and see fat. Your girlfriend obviously loves you just the way you are, and as long as you're healthy, that's all that matters.

It's fine :hugs:

Probably, but I'm not sleeping much these days :laugh:
Original post by bytail
But we all hold ourselves to higher standards than others. Just because you don't think you're worth employing doesn't mean that other people think the same thing! I know that people discriminate, but if you get to a point where your health is stable, then you'll be in a far better position to get yourself a job. Worry about your health first, and getting a job later.

Even though, by your own admission, you'd probably have been fired by now? :tongue: Better to have done something productive with those 6 years
than to have bounced from job to job.

I disagree :rolleyes: Lets see, my BMI is around 23/24, so right at the top of "normal", and I don't have the excuse that my medication causes weight gain :tongue: Look at it this way, even if you weighed a stone less, you might still look in the mirror and see fat. Your girlfriend obviously loves you just the way you are, and as long as you're healthy, that's all that matters.

It's fine :hugs:

Probably, but I'm not sleeping much these days :laugh:

I'm planning on moving in with my girlfriend as soon as possible, I can't just sit on my ass all day when I do, there'll be bills and **** to pay so finding a job is going to be of vital importance.

Well :colondollar: There is the possibility that I would have been fired, yes, but there's also the possibility that I might never have become depressed if I hadn't gone to university. A lot of factors combined in my first year which lead to a major crash, if I'd had a stable job that might never have happened. In which case, going for a job over university would have been the best idea in the world.

Don't think so. :tongue: My BMI is 24.81, with 24.9 being the upper limit of "normal".

How'd the doctor go?
Got the keys to my new house - seems pretty nice, although the landlady's a bit of a grouch. :tongue:

- If someone as undedicated and lazy as me can get a job, then you certainly can. You're hard-working, and have perfectly good qualifications.
- I think the problem here isn't with how many or few friends you have, but with the fact that you're always comparing how you're doing with others, and always assuming you're doing worse. You've got a number of friends who really care about you, and yeah I get that it really sucks not having any who live nearby, but remember you're going to move in with your girlfriend and have her for company, plus her friends and anyone else you get to know once you're over there.
- Your degree is not worthless. Ok so you got a lower grade than you wanted, but it still shows that you're both intelligent enough to get a decent grade at a good uni, and that you were prepared to commit a large amount of time towards getting it.
- Stop being such a damn snob. :tongue: You're getting a masters, which is awesome, and I think you're way overestimating the importance of just how your uni is compared to others (especially since you'll be moving to America, where they're unlikely to have a clue about this, or maybe even about what your grades mean).
- When you've gone off your meds in the past you've consistently got worse - better to get hold of a psychiatrist, and see if they'll change your meds/adjust the dosage, so that you hopefully see an improvement, and don't get worse from stopping one set of meds and not replacing them with anything.
- Weight isn't everything. Your body looks pretty good to me (:sexface:), and obviously to your girlfriend, you're in good shape, and like Rob said half the weight's probably muscle anyway.

Remember that I first met you in real life, and it was me who made the first effort to become friends with you. This was because you seemed like a cool person with awesome hair, and since I've never found anything to contradict this in the years I've known you, and found plenty of other reasons why you're awesome, I've stuck around. You're a seriously great person, just not to everybody's taste. :tongue: We all love and appreciate you, and remember a number of members have met and got on really well with you. :hugs: Also remember I'm a year older than you and still hang around with this lot, thus making me officially 347 days creepier than you. :colone:

I know you feel awful, but please try and remember how close you could be to getting something you really want, and which has the potential to make you sickeningly happy and in possession of a roast suckling pig. :drool:
Reply 190
Original post by SciFiRory
:hugs: really pleased to hear you had a good morning and therapy was helpful :smile: hopefully it can help you feel happier and stuff in future!

I had CBT this morning myself, still is just talking things over stage for me really, but I have some homework to do :eek: have to make a note of how often I have certain thought patterns so I can discuss them with my therapist next week and stuff!

Yeah me too! :crossedf:

Glad your therapy is going well, and I hope you're making a proper effort with your homework! :smartass:

Original post by thatsthebadger93
Glad to hear your mornings been good and the therapy went well. She sounds really good and it's nice you can joke about it without her getting annoyed. I saw a therapist once who laid out a load of seashells in front of me and asked me to pick ones to represent family members, and she genuinely couldn't see why I wasn't taking the whole process seriously :tongue:
Also, really pleased you decided posting on here is ok :smile:

:lol: That is comedy gold. Mine is only a stopgap til I can start trauma therapy and she's assured me she's not going to try any of her wacky stuff with me. Though she did seem to be advocating me turning lesbian to 'have some fun' :colone:
(edited 11 years ago)
Elloooo! Can I join? Haha :frown:
Reply 192
Original post by HearTheThunder
Elloooo! Can I join? Haha :frown:

Whenever anyone asks that I get an irresistible urge to say no. no newcomers allowed. :tongue:

Course you can, anyone's welcome.
My doctors appointment went really well! It only lasted 5 minutes, I told him what was wrong, he printed some stuff out about cognitive behaviour therapy and I went on my merry way. He said it might take a while to actually get to the counselling, which I was expecting, but I'm just happy it's happening. :smile:
My alarm clock definitely isn't working :frown: Overslept and missed my GP appointment (yet still only managed 5 hours sleep). Going to have to ring up and ask for another one.

I also seem to have developed another bout of tonsillitis :dry: Life really loves me atm.
Original post by Sultana

:lol: That is comedy gold. Mine is only a stopgap til I can start trauma therapy and she's assured me she's not going to try any of her wacky stuff with me. Though she did seem to be advocating me turning lesbian to 'have some fun' :colone:

But the wacky stuff is so much more entertaining :tongue: haha, because obviously lesbians do have more fun! All the professionals I speak to seem to think I must be gay just because I'm not interested in having a partner :confused:
---
Got my therapy appointment a 3 today, dreading it as she's going to ask me what's been helpful so far and I can't think of anything. Things are just getting worse and worse but I can't tell her that and there'd be no point anyway because it's not like there's anything she can do
Reply 196
Original post by bytail
My alarm clock definitely isn't working :frown: Overslept and missed my GP appointment (yet still only managed 5 hours sleep). Going to have to ring up and ask for another one.

I also seem to have developed another bout of tonsillitis :dry: Life really loves me atm.

But at least it doesn't haunt you :teehee: (sorry, I'm sure that is a serious issue really) Next time can you get someone else to wake you up? Or a friend to call you?

:console: Hope you feel better soon.
Reply 197
Original post by Sultana
Yeah me too! :crossedf:

Glad your therapy is going well, and I hope you're making a proper effort with your homework! :smartass:

thanks, yeah I will make sure I gets it done :tongue:

Original post by sheridanamber
My doctors appointment went really well! It only lasted 5 minutes, I told him what was wrong, he printed some stuff out about cognitive behaviour therapy and I went on my merry way. He said it might take a while to actually get to the counselling, which I was expecting, but I'm just happy it's happening. :smile:

cool, glad to hear it went well :smile: :yy:

Original post by bytail

:hugs: I do that sometimes too, alarm I have isn't very loud so I tend to sleep through it! hopefully they aren't too stingy about giving you another appointment though!

:console: that can't be any fun, you should get some throat sweets cause they normally help!
superwolf
x

You are officially AWESOME!

Dreary Thursday morning, open my mail and what do I get? Little knitted chickens from superwolf :biggrin: Cheered me up no end!:grin:

Links to photos

My big chickens aren't very impressed with the new arrivals though :wink: Not edible enough they grumbled.
Reply 199
Original post by fire2burn
You are officially AWESOME!

Dreary Thursday morning, open my mail and what do I get? Little knitted chickens from superwolf :biggrin: Cheered me up no end!:grin:

Links to photos

My big chickens aren't very impressed with the new arrivals though :wink: Not edible enough they grumbled.

:biggrin: that is awesome!

Latest