The Student Room Group

Find k which is a coordinate (k,4)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Robbie242
You can't use pythagoras for this one, you used it for the last one to find the length of ab which is root 41

then use it again

use pythogoras for to find length AC in terms of t and then equate it to root 41
No its not even that complicated you draw the triangle and then AC=AB so halfway is T (2,4) but I don't know how my teacher got here and full way is (2,8) you don't need to use that

Of course you can do it that way, but didn't you say earlier that you wanted to solve it through algebra?
Reply 42
Original post by justinawe
Of course you can do it that way, but didn't you say earlier that you wanted to solve it through algebra?
not anymore haha thanks anyway :P
not anymore haha thanks anyway :P

Alright then. no problem :tongue:
Reply 44
Original post by justinawe
You don't necessarily have to find the equation of the line BC, you could just do:

yByCxBxC=mBC\displaystyle\frac{y_{B}-y_{C}}{x_{B}-x_{C}}=m_{BC}

Original post by L'Evil Fish
I mentioned that as well :G

Original post by Matt San
I think it's actually slightly more complicated. I won't actually do the work for you but I think you merely know that it is a right angled triangle but do not know whether angle B is the right angle or C is the right angle. So you have to find the equation of the line AC using a gradient with Ks in it and similarly do this for the line BC. Then make X the subject of both equations and then solve a simultaneous equation substituting y in.

Similar question here shadab The point C has coordinates (2,t) where t>0, and AC=AB

A(7,4) B(2,0) C(2,t)
Equation of AB 4x-5y-8=0
I tried subbing in x as 2 but that didn't work! it made 5y=0 could you give me some guidance as to how to find t? thanks

I understand this now :smile:

Can you please help me on this?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2160427&p=40033136#post40033136
Draw a quick sketch. It'll help. I promise :smile:

So, the gradient of the line AB is (2-(-2))/(7-(-1)) = 4/8 = 1/2.
Because the triangle has a right-angle at point B, BC must be perpendicular to AB (gradients of AB and BC multiply together to make -1)
Negative reciprocal of 1/2 = -2
Hence, you can now find the equation of BC:

y-2 = -2(x-7)
y-2 = -2x+14
y = -2x+16

Now, since you know that the y-coordinate of C is 4 and that C passes through the line y = -2x+16, just substitute in y=4 to find x and, therefore, k:

4 = -2x+16
2x = 12
x = 6
Hence, k = 6

Hope this helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest