The Student Room Group

A level Maths help

An engineer is making a circular disc.
A model of the disc is drawn as a circle on a set of axes such that it passes
through coordinate points P (–1, –1), Q (5, k) and R(7, 3)
Given that angle PRQ is 90°, find the value of k and the area of the disc

I can’t figure out how to do this I drew a diagram and I don’t see a right angle could someone please show me how to do it
Anything about semicircles and right angles ring any bells?
Original post by Anonymous9795

I can’t figure out how to do this I drew a diagram and I don’t see a right angle could someone please show me how to do it

If PRQ is 90 degrees, what is the scalar product of PR and RQ?
Reply 3

are you sure it is PRQ that is a right angle??
Original post by DFranklin
Anything about semicircles and right angles ring any bells?

Nope I’m a first year so haven’t done anything in a while the only thing I managed to come up with is (5,7) but that’s where I get confused about where the circle is on the graph I assumed that r was the midpoint and p was on the circumference but that would mean that (5,7) would just be along the diameter.
Original post by df1
are you sure it is PRQ that is a right angle??

Yeah that’s what it says
Nope I’m a first year so haven’t done anything in a while the only thing I managed to come up with is (5,7) but that’s where I get confused about where the circle is on the graph I assumed that r was the midpoint and p was on the circumference but that would mean that (5,7) would just be along the diameter.

Agree with (5,7) as the position of Q. All of P,Q,R are on the circumference.

Since PRQ is a right angle, it follows that PQ is a diameter. Hence work out radius and area.
Reply 7

I am uploading a link to my worked solution, this is how I would've done it, sorry the sketch is not the best:smile:. https://imgur.com/crl9ZeI
Original post by ghostwalker
Agree with (5,7) as the position of Q. All of P,Q,R are on the circumference.

Since PRQ is a right angle, it follows that PQ is a diameter. Hence work out radius and area.

Thanks for your help I got confused with where the circle was but now l understand
Reply 9
Thanks for your help I got confused with where the circle was but now l understand

@/https://imgur.com/crl9ZeI This is my worked solution and how I would do the question :smile: ignore the @/ and just copy and paste the link after ittt
0D009113-091B-4341-9B2C-F3B1A8868F8A.jpeg
Thanks but I don’t think that q can be (5,10.75) because it wouldn’t be on the line perpendicular (y=-2x+17) to PR (y=0.5x+0.5) thus making PRQ not 90°
Reply 11
0D009113-091B-4341-9B2C-F3B1A8868F8A.jpeg
Thanks but I don’t think that q can be (5,10.75) because it wouldn’t be on the line perpendicular (y=-2x+17) to PR (y=0.5x+0.5) thus making PRQ not 90°

yeah i guess that would make my answer wrong then, I can't think of another way to do it but I might have made a numerical or simplifying error somewhere so you could always retry it and be more careful than me and see if it gets an answer that works lol
Reply 12
Original post by df1
yeah i guess that would make my answer wrong then, I can't think of another way to do it but I might have made a numerical or simplifying error somewhere so you could always retry it and be more careful than me and see if it gets an answer that works lol

actually you could try a method of simultaneous equations of the lines PR and QR to solve for K
Reply 13

I think it was agreed above that Q is the point (5, 7) which you had already worked out for yourself.

So now you know the coordinates of all the points you can work out the diameter, and hence the radius, and hence the area as suggested earlier :smile:
Original post by df1
actually you could try a method of simultaneous equations of the lines PR and QR to solve for K

I just substituted x=5 in to y=-2x+17 which gave me (5,7)
Reply 15
First I found the equation for the line PR which was y=1/2x-1/2 RQ is perpendicular to PR so the gradient will be -2 (negative reciprocal) Then I subbed in the co ordinates for R and got the equation of RQ as y=-2x 17 Next I subbed in the x coordinate of point Q which is 5 and got K=7 To find the area; The line PR is the diameter bc of circle theorem. So I found the length of PR as 4 root5 and then halved it to get the radius; 2root5Using Pi x r^2 I got the area as 20pi units^2 Hope it makes sense x
Original post by df1
I am uploading a link to my worked solution, this is how I would've done it, sorry the sketch is not the best:smile:. https://imgur.com/crl9ZeI

Hi i know this was a year ago but i was doing the question and i read through your method which seemed correct but on the markscheme it puts k=7 and the area=25 x pi
Original post by spaghetto1011
Hi i know this was a year ago but i was doing the question and i read through your method which seemed correct but on the markscheme it puts k=7 and the area=25 x pi

It was a year ago and the other posts have pointed out this error. In calculating PQ they forgot to square 6, so the 86 and the end should be 56, giving k=7.
Reply 18

Hey, for any of those still struggling;

Value of K:
1. find the gradients of PR and RQ
2. for PR the gradient you should get is 1/2, fir RQ the gradient you should get is (k-3)/-2
3. As PR and RQ are perpendicular, their gradients should equal -1
4. Multiply the two gradients and set them equal to -1
5. Make K the subject and it's the value you should get is 7

Area of disc:
1. PQ is the diameter of the circle because there is a right angle subtended at the circumference of the circle
2. The disc is a circle therefore the formula we'll use is that of the area of a circle i.e. A = πr^2
3. To find the radius, first find the coordinates of the centre of the circle
4. To find the centre of the circle, find the midpoint of PQ by using the formula i.e (x1 + x2)/2, (y1 + y2)/2
5. The coordinates of the centre you get should be (2,3)
6. Now substitute the centre coordinates in the eqn of a circle i.e you should get (x-2)^2 + (y-3)^2 = r^2
7. Now substitute the coordinates of any of the points on the circumference in the above-mentioned equation
8. Solve the eqn and the answer for r you should get is 5
9. Finally you can now find A = πr^2 and the answer should be 25π

Hope this helps someone! :smile: <3
Reply 19
Original post by emm27
Hey, for any of those still struggling;

Hi, I can see that you're a new poster here. This thread is quite old, but please note for future reference that we don't usually post solutions - unless it's to confirm that the OP has done some incorrect working and only when they've reached the end. If other people have problems with this question then we stick to giving hints to help them out. Thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest