The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Beep.
How did they expect us to work it out :wtf: will be asking my chemistry teacher tomorrow.

One of my teachers didn't have a clue :tongue:
Reply 381

I don't have the strength to even attempt to understand that right now :lol:
From what I gather, looks like rate of disappearance actually is the negative of rate of formation?
Original post by abzy1234
Don't worry, we all make silly mistakes, and I find that with Chemistry, you can easily make a lot of silly errors.

I know I'm also going to have to retake to get the A I need, but I'm really going to try and emphasise my revision on exam technique; so I can cut down on silly errors.

You don't fail in life over this. Pick yourself up and focus on improving your grade now :smile:

thank you for the pick-me-up! :colondollar: i think a resit is looking likely. not sure how that will fit in with my other exams, i think i'll have to consider perhaps dropping my 4th A2. it's doing me no favours continuing it under these circumstances.. i think i've easily lost about 20 - 25 marks on this paper, i got the units of the rate constant wrong as well i think. :frown:
Original post by suncake
From what I gather, looks like rate of disappearance actually is the negative of rate of formation?

Perhaps you know, that kinda makes sense! But for two marks... Them sneaky examiners :tongue:
what do we think the grade boundaries will be like? i have a bad feeling that the examiners consider this to be a reasonable paper....:frown: also does anyone know the minimum UMS you need overall (as and a2 added total) to get an A overall? thank you :smile:
Original post by decoribbon
thank you for the pick-me-up! :colondollar: i think a resit is looking likely. not sure how that will fit in with my other exams, i think i'll have to consider perhaps dropping my 4th A2. it's doing me no favours continuing it under these circumstances.. i think i've easily lost about 20 - 25 marks on this paper, i got the units of the rate constant wrong as well i think. :frown:

Ahh I was doing a fourth A2, but I soon found I couldn't handle the work load. I'm sure all universities don't need a fourth A2, so I would say drop the extra one.

I know, I think I lost around the same. You can't do anything to change it now though 'eh? Focus on the other exams. I got the units as mol-1dm+3s-1. :smile:
:eek: How on earth does OCR expect us to know that?!

i thought it was just the rate of the creation of I2 multiplied by 2? because of the half equation and the stoichiometry of the overall equation.
Original post by LOLAKALMAO
The first reactant was first because when you doubled that concentration the rate doubled. At that time the concentration of reactant 2 was kept the same and had no effect on the rate however when we halved the concentration of reactant 2, the rate fell by quadruple which is second order.

Dude it's first order. :colone:
Ahh I was doing a fourth A2, but I soon found I couldn't handle the work load. I'm sure all universities don't need a fourth A2, so I would say drop the extra one.

I know, I think I lost around the same. You can't do anything to change it now though 'eh? Focus on the other exams. I got the units as mol-1dm+3s-1. :smile:

yep, definitely mucked up the units, arggggh another mark lost! i'm not sure this work load is suiting me at all, especially when a resit looks so likely. i think i might have to give it a miss..
Original post by Callumhamby
i thought it was just the rate of the creation of I2 multiplied by 2? because of the half equation and the stoichiometry of the overall equation.

I don't think its to do with the stoichiometry you know. Beep posted a link on the backward rate of reaction, it's somewhere on this thread.

I also doubled it, but I don't think it's the right answer. :smile:
How many questions were on the paper, i finished unsually 12 minutes early. Did it only go up to question 4?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by decoribbon
yep, definitely mucked up the units, arggggh another mark lost! i'm not sure this work load is suiting me at all, especially when a resit looks so likely. i think i might have to give it a miss..

Do you need the fourth A2? I would recommend you drop it. I could focus so much more on my other subjects :smile:
Original post by Zebrastripe
How many questions were on the paper, i finished I unually 12 minutes early. Did only go up to question 4?

Yah four questions only. Seems to be the new style of the paper, as it was also four questions in June 2012. I finished rather early as well; shockingly, as I found timing an issue before :tongue:
I don't think its to do with the stoichiometry you know. Beep posted a link on the backward rate of reaction, it's somewhere on this thread.

I also doubled it, but I don't think it's the right answer. :smile:

1 I2 produced every second, 2 I- used every second ---> doubled
Original post by josephtsui
1 I2 produced every second, 2 I- used every second ---> doubled

Could be, am hoping so, but am not optimistic it is :smile:
The first reactant was first because when you doubled that concentration the rate doubled. At that time the concentration of reactant 2 was kept the same and had no effect on the rate however when we halved the concentration of reactant 2, the rate fell by quadruple which is second order.

1 1 1
2 1 2
1 2 2

The concentration of reactant 1 was halved after experiment 2.
Second Order :rolleyes:

First order :cool:

We shall see soon who is right! :wink:
Yah four questions only. Seems to be the new style of the paper, as it was also four questions in June 2012. I finished rather early as well; shockingly, as I found timing an issue before :tongue:

haha me too, I didn't finish my mock
Reply 398
Second Order :rolleyes:

Let it go... :console: :tongue:

Original post by Beep.
Lol :biggrin:

Just took a proper look and yeah :redface: it explains why its worth 2 marks in that case. 1 for the correct answer and the second for the negative sign maybe?

Frustrating how its not even in the specification :/ why OCR!

Did you work it out correctly in the exam?

Nah, I doubled the rate of formation. You're probably right about the sign thing, but that's just stupid because if you didn't know that it was negative, many people wouldn't think it's the same number as the other rate. Grr :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 399
Original post by suncake

Lol :biggrin:

Just took a proper look and yeah :redface: that explains why its worth 2 marks in that case. 1 for the correct answer and the second for the negative sign maybe?

Frustrating how its not even in the specification :/ why OCR!

Did you work it out correctly in the exam?

Latest

Trending

Trending