The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by abzy1234
I'm most likely going to ask for a photocopy as well. I really want to see my mistakes, and if this was really such a straightforward paper as the grade boundaries suggested.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good idea! My college are making us get photocopies because half of the students got Us! :eek:
Can we buy back old papers from last June for example?
Reply 582
Original post by LOLAKALMAO
Can we buy back old papers from last June for example?

Nope, they would've been destroyed by now!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by suncake
Nope, they would've been destroyed by now!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought they keep them for a year or so?
Reply 584
has anyone got the paper or an unofficial mark scheme?
Original post by decoribbon
Good idea! My college are making us get photocopies because half of the students got Us! :eek:

We had a couple of students retaking their A2, and all of them got below a C :confused:

Salters Chemistry :angry:

Oh well, just gotta try that extra hard tbh :smile:
Reply 586
We had a couple of students retaking their A2, and all of them got below a C :confused:

Salters Chemistry :angry:

Oh well, just gotta try that extra hard tbh :smile:

I found this a hard paper, but not so hard that i got a Grade D
2 off a c
i really need to get a B overall!! please help me! what revision guides, books, anything do you use??
Original post by sharon800
I found this a hard paper, but not so hard that i got a Grade D
2 off a c
i really need to get a B overall!! please help me! what revision guides, books, anything do you use??

The best book by far is the Chemical Ideas. All you need to know is virtually in there. The thinner revision guide is really only good for an introduction to a topic tbh.

Do all the excercises in the chemical ideas book, they really help. Plus, past papers. Do all of them from 2006, and do them twice. It'll help ya get used to the exam structure.

Salters is a wierd course, as there is a lot of emphasis on application. So wider reading from the storylines textbook may help.

Oh yeah, the A2 CGP revision guide is brilliant. Very helpful.

Good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 588
I walked out of that exam knowing I'd only dropped a few marks. I laughed at some of the questions because I knew word-for-word what was going to be written in the mark-scheme. I included all relevant knowledge to support my answers and to show that I wasn't just learning from past-exam questions. I knew I'd lost maybe about 5 marks in it from careless mistakes, but when I opened my result on Thursday I got a D. I'm not one of these chavs that walk out of exams saying 'I've gotten an A' and get my result and get a U. Does anyone else feel like they're in the same position? I was called into the Head of Sixth Form's office on Friday for me to 'explain what happened'. I can't face my Chemistry teacher on Monday. Even though I know he knows what I'm academically capable of, it still angers me that he'll think I got a D in it. In reply to what some of you discussed earlier, OCR do not allow photocopies of your paper, only your original paper back. If you felt, like me, there was a significant error in the marking of the paper, then the only option is to have it re-marked, which I believe costs around £40. OCR is the only exam board who doesn't provide a photocopy of the paper, and is also the most renowned exam board to de-grade papers to reduce the number of A's. If anybody has a copy of the paper or mark scheme, an upload would be much appreciated, thanks. :smile:
Reply 589
Sorry, I've just looked it up and you can get a photocopy of your paper back. I was told by my exams officer you can't and I read on a thread that OCR don't allow it. It was probably an old thread. Either way, I'm going to have it re-marked straight away.
Original post by Vorex
x

I know how it feels when you and your teacher both know that you are much more capable than the grade you recieve. It does feel really difficult.

But you have to pick yourself up. When you get your paper back, most likely, it will be your exam technique which might have let you down. I have a feeling this is the case for me; I'm going to practice making my answers more concise.

Use it as a springboard, push and challenge yourself mentally to get the grade you deserve in June.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What grades did people get:smile:
Reply 592
Original post by Vorex
I walked out of that exam knowing I'd only dropped a few marks. I laughed at some of the questions because I knew word-for-word what was going to be written in the mark-scheme. I included all relevant knowledge to support my answers and to show that I wasn't just learning from past-exam questions. I knew I'd lost maybe about 5 marks in it from careless mistakes, but when I opened my result on Thursday I got a D. I'm not one of these chavs that walk out of exams saying 'I've gotten an A' and get my result and get a U. Does anyone else feel like they're in the same position? I was called into the Head of Sixth Form's office on Friday for me to 'explain what happened'. I can't face my Chemistry teacher on Monday. Even though I know he knows what I'm academically capable of, it still angers me that he'll think I got a D in it. In reply to what some of you discussed earlier, OCR do not allow photocopies of your paper, only your original paper back. If you felt, like me, there was a significant error in the marking of the paper, then the only option is to have it re-marked, which I believe costs around £40. OCR is the only exam board who doesn't provide a photocopy of the paper, and is also the most renowned exam board to de-grade papers to reduce the number of A's. If anybody has a copy of the paper or mark scheme, an upload would be much appreciated, thanks. :smile:

You get a refund on the remark if the grade changes so if you're so certain that it was a mistake then why don't you get it remarked?
Reply 593
I know how it feels when you and your teacher both know that you are much more capable than the grade you recieve. It does feel really difficult.

But you have to pick yourself up. When you get your paper back, most likely, it will be your exam technique which might have let you down. I have a feeling this is the case for me; I'm going to practice making my answers more concise.

Use it as a springboard, push and challenge yourself mentally to get the grade you deserve in June.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the positive advice, but I certainly did not get a D in that exam. I don't mean to sound arrogant, but I went through that paper smiling at how easy it was. There was just one part to a question where you had to draw a diagram that I know I messed up on. Admittedly I can still probably improve on exam technique, but I am 99% certain that the failure lies with OCR on this one, rather than me. My centre's grades always go up around 3 grades when they're re-marked. I know, it's disgusting. That level of poor marking confirms that these aren't just 'mistakes. I'll let you know how much it goes up by when it's remarked.
Reply 594
Original post by :)ella
You get a refund on the remark if the grade changes so if you're so certain that it was a mistake then why don't you get it remarked?

I am having it remarked, I'm handing in the cheque tomorrow. I was just saying about photocopies because someone mentioned it previously.
Original post by Vorex
Thanks for the positive advice, but I certainly did not get a D in that exam. I don't mean to sound arrogant, but I went through that paper smiling at how easy it was. There was just one part to a question where you had to draw a diagram that I know I messed up on. Admittedly I can still probably improve on exam technique, but I am 99% certain that the failure lies with OCR on this one, rather than me. My centre's grades always go up around 3 grades when they're re-marked. I know, it's disgusting. That level of poor marking confirms that these aren't just 'mistakes. I'll let you know how much it goes up by when it's remarked.

Hmm it must feel tough and I hope that you get it resolved.

It's rare that exam bodies get it that wrong, but it may happen :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 596
Original post by Vorex

I would go to the news with that story, if that happened at my school :lol:
Hmm I can see where I might have lost marks, apologies ocr, I'm now content with a low A
Original post by DanD123
I got 2.17g not 21.7.................. I'm sure i've gone wrong as many of you seem to get 21.7 , and as for the 1.2168 or what not , it was because people haven't scaled up the number of moles from 14.0 to 100 dm^3 . Atleast that's what i did initially to get 1.1268.

The reaction was 1:1 moles, and it said that it took 4x10^-3 moles of Sodiumhyrdoxide to react with the Glycoline. ( I believe these were the elements and the 4x10^-3 is remembered from performing a calculation cannot remember very initial values)

So you have 4x10^-3 moles of glycoline to react with , that was in 25cm^3 so you must times by 10 in order to get the correct number of moles for 250cm^3 of the solution . Therefore 4x10^-2 moles in the diluted solution . To calculate the concentration of this solution you divide by 250/1000 because n=cv. I ended up with 0.16 i believe ? (Ok just done the calc , realised it is 21.7 not 2.17 must have not multiplied by ten when i thought i had). So you have 0.16 moldm^-3 solution . This is the diluted solution , so you must multiply by 250/14 in order to gain the concentration of the non diluted solution. This arrives with the answer of 20/7. So you have 20/7 moldm^-3 as a concentration . The concentration of this and the 100cm^3 solution are exactly the same . So from here you multiply by the volume to get the number of moles (20/7 x 100/1000) This gives you 2/7. And moles = mass/relative atomic mass. Therefore 2/7*RAM(Glycoline) which was (76 ?) = the mass. Which is 2/7*76=21.714285grams ............. God damn must have missed the mutiply by ten , but pretty sure that's how you do it for people who got the 1.268 or 12.68 ............ could be wrong .

Calculation :

n=cv for sodium hydroxide = 4x10^-3

4x10^-3 x 10 (because in 25 is 4x10^-3 so in 250 there are 10x)

n/v=c So (4x10^-2)/(250/1000) = 0.16 = c

0.16 x 250/14 (because it is a diluted solution) = 20/7 = c for original mix

n=cv again so 20/7*(100/1000) = 2/7

Then moles = mass/Ram

Ram of the substance was 76

Therefore 76*2/7 = mass = 21.721.714285grams

I don't understand this step, why multipltyby 250/14?

Latest

Trending

Trending