The Student Room Group

Social Work?

Hey, just wondering if anyone on here is applying for Social Work at either QUB or UU?
Reply 1
Hi,

I am applying to Queens for the 3 year route and also UUJ with the two years at Belfast Met. I'm still fiddling around with my Personal Statement but hope to get it in early Dec. How are you getting on with your application? The competition is deadly so fingers crossed for us both! I really want to get in!
Reply 2
Hi, i am also applying to both. Anything back yet?
Reply 3
I just got letters about letting them both share my information :frown: I was asking people who applied last year and they didn't get interviews until February and some didn't find out if they got any offers until May! long wait :frown:
Reply 4
Original post by KerryF94
I just got letters about letting them both share my information :frown: I was asking people who applied last year and they didn't get interviews until February and some didn't find out if they got any offers until May! long wait :frown:

Did you let them share your info? yeah i know its guna be a long wait. Have you much voluntary work and things?
Reply 5
Original post by nulz
Did you let them share your info? yeah i know its guna be a long wait. Have you much voluntary work and things?

I let them yeah, i'm hoping for queens though. I just finished my A-levels in June, I had decided to take a gap year. Ive done voluntary work in multi-cultural play groups, primary schools and im starting in a hospital in january :smile: wbu?
Reply 6
I let them yeah, i'm hoping for queens though. I just finished my A-levels in June, I had decided to take a gap year. Ive done voluntary work in multi-cultural play groups, primary schools and im starting in a hospital in january :smile: wbu?

oh how did you do in your a-levels? Ive had about three gap years lol Ive only just sent my ucas but I dont think I'm going to let them share info because if i do crap in one interview hopefully ill know what to put right in the next one. It's so nerve racking becuase it's so hard to get into:frown: I'm volunteering with VOYPIC and childline at the minute and looking for more in January also. Have you heard much about what the interview involves?
Reply 7
Original post by nulz
oh how did you do in your a-levels? Ive had about three gap years lol Ive only just sent my ucas but I dont think I'm going to let them share info because if i do crap in one interview hopefully ill know what to put right in the next one. It's so nerve racking becuase it's so hard to get into:frown: I'm volunteering with VOYPIC and childline at the minute and looking for more in January also. Have you heard much about what the interview involves?

I got ABB what about you? :smile: I think they just ask you basic questions like what qualities do you think a social worker needs? what does social work involve? and what qualities to you have? I think they also ask a scenario question, but when you get an interview they give you a guidline which helps :smile: how did you get into childline that sounds amazing!
Reply 8
I got ABB what about you? :smile: I think they just ask you basic questions like what qualities do you think a social worker needs? what does social work involve? and what qualities to you have? I think they also ask a scenario question, but when you get an interview they give you a guidline which helps :smile: how did you get into childline that sounds amazing!

oh well done, I done my a-levels about three years ago but didnt do that well, really wasn't focused on school at all but with working for the past three years im dead set on social work now so currently in an access course. I live outside Derry and I heard through north west volunteering about a talk to volunteer with foyle childline. You just had to fill in an application form, do an interview and then train to become a counsellor. With VOYPIC I mentor a child on a one to one basis throughout the course of a year, the child is in residential care or has family troubles so its very challenging but rewarding too. I have who is in his first year of social work in magee so he's helping me through the personal statements and interview. Its great having someone who's went through it :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by nulz
oh well done, I done my a-levels about three years ago but didnt do that well, really wasn't focused on school at all but with working for the past three years im dead set on social work now so currently in an access course. I live outside Derry and I heard through north west volunteering about a talk to volunteer with foyle childline. You just had to fill in an application form, do an interview and then train to become a counsellor. With VOYPIC I mentor a child on a one to one basis throughout the course of a year, the child is in residential care or has family troubles so its very challenging but rewarding too. I have who is in his first year of social work in magee so he's helping me through the personal statements and interview. Its great having someone who's went through it :smile:

That is so amazing! Would it be better for you if you got into Magee then? Im worried incase the experience I have isn't really relevant so im trying to do stuff that might help. I really want on the course but its so competitive!
Reply 10
It is a massively competitive course - however now the Bursary has been removed for year one students - it might be in less demand. Have you looked into job prospects after Uni? There seems to be a definite opinion out there that there is a lot of graduates but no graduate jobs as most looking for experience etc!! That is the only thing concerning me now!!
Reply 11
Original post by pip79
It is a massively competitive course - however now the Bursary has been removed for year one students - it might be in less demand. Have you looked into job prospects after Uni? There seems to be a definite opinion out there that there is a lot of graduates but no graduate jobs as most looking for experience etc!! That is the only thing concerning me now!!

My cousin finished her degree a year ago and she managed to find a job quite quickly. I think most career options are in England, but in a good way it is less competitive in England! Hopefully if we get on the degree by the time we finish it might be better! :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by nulz

After you saying you volunteered at Childline I was so interested I applied, now I have an interview for the 9th January! :biggrin: Nervouss!
Reply 13
After you saying you volunteered at Childline I was so interested I applied, now I have an interview for the 9th January! :biggrin: Nervouss!

agghh brilliant :smile: I had to postpone my interview so it's now on Thursday! let me know how you get on & what questions they ask you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending