The Student Room Group

Social Work as a job?

Hi, so I am finished my A-level exams and now await my results. I have applied to do Social Work at university but as the months have went on and from hearing different people’s opinions, I worry I have chosen the wrong degree. Generally, all I seem to have heard is negative things about Social Work and how it’s a tough job with very little pay. Has anyone gone into to do Social work or knows anyone personally that does Social Work. I feel very disheartened about things I have heard and thinking of taking a gap year instead and then applying for something else next year.
(edited 11 months ago)
Hey, congratulations on finishing your exams! I am also going on to do social work at university this upcoming academic year as a mature student and I come from a family of social workers, so have heard of how challenging the job is, but honestly nobody will experience the job itself first hand until on placements/getting their first job as a qualified social worker.

The great thing is with social work is that there are a lot of different fields within the profession, such as children and families, being an MHO, criminal justice etc. There's also not just opportunities to work within local authorites, but chances to work alongside charities such as womens aid. On top of this, social workers are always needed, so youre pretty much guaranteed a job within the profession once youve qualified. Your comment regarding the pay isn't completely accurate as social work is considered one of the best paying public sector jobs, with a starting salary of sound 35k (depending on the local authority). Great pension too. However, despite this personally I feel (and from what I've heard) they are due a pay rise.

From what I've been told by my family members who are social workers in children and families (both are managers), it is a very challenging career and there's far more to social work than simply "helping" people. The profession should not be taken lightly, and within this current climate of underfunding in public sectors , there are social workers being ran off their feet having to juggle too high a caseload, and receiving not enough support from management.

Saying that, I have also heard how rewarding the career is, and this alongside the benefits I've mentioned above, I personally feel it is 100% the correct career path for me.

You have obviously applied to social work for a reason, so have a think about what it is about being a social worker that made you apply in the first place and maybe write a list of pros and cons about being a social worker. If you know any qualified social workers in person, I would also recommend talking to them to get a better insight of the profession.

I wish you the best of luck in your studies, whatever you decide to do ☺️
Reply 2
Hi, thank you so much for your detailed reply that has been very helpful. My perspective is that every job has it challenges no matter what, but if it is your desired profession then it definitely outweighs the bad. There are some good positives that you have highlighted there which reminds me, part of the reason as to why I’m applying for this. I am going to go ahead with it and see how things turn out as it’s like you said, you don’t really know what it’s like or how you are going to find it until you are on placements or starting the job. I would also like to wish you all the best in your studies and by the sounds of your determination, you will make a great Social Worker! :smile:
Original post by ED.631
Hi, thank you so much for your detailed reply that has been very helpful. My perspective is that every job has it challenges no matter what, but if it is your desired profession then it definitely outweighs the bad. There are some good positives that you have highlighted there which reminds me, part of the reason as to why I’m applying for this. I am going to go ahead with it and see how things turn out as it’s like you said, you don’t really know what it’s like or how you are going to find it until you are on placements or starting the job. I would also like to wish you all the best in your studies and by the sounds of your determination, you will make a great Social Worker! :smile:

What you have said is completely true. I'm glad to hear that you're sticking to your guns and choosing to do the degree in social work as something you're clearly passionate about. And thank you, the same to you ☺️
Original post by ED.631
Hi, so I am finished my A-level exams and now await my results. I have applied to do Social Work at university but as the months have went on and from hearing different people’s opinions, I worry I have chosen the wrong degree. Generally, all I seem to have heard is negative things about Social Work and how it’s a tough job with very little pay. Has anyone gone into to do Social work or knows anyone personally that does Social Work. I feel very disheartened about things I have heard and thinking of taking a gap year instead and then applying for something else next year.

Hi ED.631,

We have recently released a blog where we talked to our Senior Lecturer in Social Work, Nick Hoose, about the challenges and positives of a career as a Social Worker.

Nick decided to become a Social Worker as his "personal values aligned perfectly with the line of work I was interested in". When asked "how have you found the balance between work and family life?", Nick answered that "Social work can be a challenging balance between personal and professional life as the families you work with often cannot switch off at 5pm. That said, organisations will support staff to maintain appropriate professional boundaries and encourage practitioners to exercise a healthy work/life balance as this enables practitioners to maintain their own wellbeing. Many areas of practice now operate with remote working opportunities and flexible working hours, meaning that practitioners can make balancing work and family a little easier".

If you want more information about how Nick has found the role challenging but rewarding, then make sure to check out our full blog.

I hope this helps reassure you that social work is a great field to go into :smile:

Best wishes,

Maddy
WrexhamUniReps

Quick Reply

Latest