The Student Room Group

Is this idea good?

I just want to make something, simple.

i came up with the idea of a website that has a search engine that if you type in 'ipad' It would bring up 10 ipads from 10 different merchandisers arranging them in pricing order, see i thought that would be easy, until it came to making the search engine...

anybody know where i could come up with a search engine? or any coding genie that could help me through this?

if this isnt a good idea, tell me why please and give me a simple idea that will get me pizza money ;P

www.bettervalues.co.uk tell me what u think..
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I don't know how to, but it sounds like a good idea to me :smile:
Reply 2
So you're making eBay?
Reply 3
Also known as google shopping
Reply 4
Sounds exactly like Google Shopping

edit;;

plus I doubt people would pay to use it and money from ads is minimal (the 8% of Spotify users that pay account for 83.5% of Spotify's profits)
(edited 11 years ago)
Google genies perhaps could help you, maybe even the guys who did it for them?
There are loads of sites like this. Just type price comparison site into google.
So yes, by its popularity I'd say it was a good idea, just not all that original in itself.
I can't help you make one tho...
Reply 7
Ignoring the fact that it's done before, writing a half-decent search algorithm is going to be an enormous task that requires an extremely high level of relevant knowledge, which, based on your post, I am guessing you don't have?

Take it back a step or fifty and start simple.
Reply 8
Original post by Planto
Ignoring the fact that it's done before, writing a half-decent search algorithm is going to be an enormous task that requires an extremely high level of relevant knowledge, which, based on your post, I am guessing you don't have?

Take it back a step or fifty and start simple.

what do you suggest?

i want to make some money, what would be a good idea for a website? please help me lol ive been trying for weeks -.-

i just wana make a little money while doing a levels, i dont have the time for a 4 day/week job at sainsburies, whereas a website i could do at the comfort of my home, an hour a day... etc.

something simple would be good! im not looking to be the next zuckerberg.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Joseph-
what do you suggest?

i want to make some money, what would be a good idea for a website? please help me lol ive been trying for weeks -.-

To be honest I'm getting a little bit bored of people who think that they can "get rich quick" by simply "making a website."

I would suggest spending 3 years learning to program and then getting a junior developer position for about £20k a year and then going from there. You're no more likely to make the next Facebook as you are to be the next Bono. Web development isn't a fast track to fame and fortune; it is a technical vocation. Stop insulting my profession.

I can promise you now that you will get more money for your time by getting a part time job than by trying to start a website to get revenue from advertising or something.

If you actually have something to offer; such as interesting writing, music or art, then start a blog and put stuff there. Creating a website for the sake of creating a website is not going to get you anywhere.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Planto
To be honest I'm getting a little bit bored of people who think that they can "get rich quick" by simply "making a website."

I would suggest spending 3 years learning to program and then getting a junior developer position for about £20k a year and then going from there. You're no more likely to make the next Facebook as you are to be the next Bono. Web development isn't a fast track to fame and fortune; it is a technical vocation. Stop insulting my profession.

I can promise you now that you will get more money for your time by getting a part time job than by trying to start a website to get revenue from advertising or something.

bro, im not insulting you or your proffesion, nor did i say i want to be the next zuckerburg.

i just want to have some income whilst doing my a levels, as i cant work a 4 day job a week, or else i wont get them grades im hoping for.

a website will be easier for me as im at the comfort of my home, using sqaurespace and getting help from people like you, ill virtually need no programming.

again, im not looking to be a millionair, just want pizza/clothes/ the occasional lunch money...

all i want is a website idea, that would make me some money, please help me out!!!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Joseph-
bro, im not insulting you or your proffesion, nor did i say i want to be the next zuckerburg.

i just want to have some income whilst doing my a levels, as i cant work a 4 day job a week, or else i wont get them grades im hoping for.

a website will be easier for me as im at the comfort of my home, using sqaurespace and getting help from people like you, ill virtually need no programming.

again, im not looking to be a millionair, just want pizza/clothes/ the occasional lunch money...

Wanting to make a bit of extra cash is a perfectly valid goal; however, starting a website just for the sake of it is not going to get you there. A website is only going to make you money if you have something to offer. If you need someone to provide you with ideas, you don't have something to offer. Here is the path a person follows to a website that makes them 'a little extra cash':

- I am a musician/artist/writer and want to expose my work.
- I create a blog.
- My work is good and attracts attention.
- My website gets popular.
- I decide to advertise on my website and get a (very small) amount of income (enough to cover my hosting costs if I'm lucky).

Here's another potential route:

- I am running a full-time business that makes money via eCommerce and/or advertising (in this case you are normally paying a third-party for the website).

Here's an example of something that isn't a route to making money:

- I want some money so I start a website.

If you want a bit of extra cash, get a part-time job. You will earn much more money in much less time. Unless, of course, you do have an idea for an extremely efficient online business model; but these are rare and nobody is going to give you one on a plate.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Planto
Wanting to make a bit of extra cash is a perfectly valid goal; however, starting a website just for the sake of it is not going to get you there. A website is only going to make you money if you have something to offer. If you need someone to provide you with ideas, you don't have something to offer. Here is the path a person follows to a website that makes them 'a little extra cash':

- I am a musician/artist/writer and want to expose my work.
- I create a blog.
- My work is good and attracts attention.
- My website gets popular.
- I decide to advertise on my website and get a (very small) amount of income (enough to cover my hosting costs if I'm lucky).

Here's another potential route:

- I am running a full-time business that makes money via eCommerce and/or advertising (in this case you are normally paying a third-party for the website).

Here's an example of something that isn't a route to making money:

- I want some money so I start a website.

If you want a bit of extra cash, get a part-time job. You will earn much more money in much less time. Unless, of course, you do have an idea for an extremely efficient online business model; but these are rare and nobody is going to give you one on a plate.

ok thanks alot for the information, i really appreciate it.

so is there no way for a guy like me to make money online?
I think the problem is, if anyone had an idea for making easy money online, they'd do it themselves. If I had an idea I wouldn't give it away for free.

In reality the only way for someone with no idea and no programming skill to make money online is to follow a kitten around with a video camera until it does something vaguely 'cute' and upload it to a revenue-sharing website. No matter how boring/blurry/unoriginal it is, 300,000,000 people will still click on it.
Reply 14
Original post by Joseph-
ok thanks alot for the information, i really appreciate it.

so is there no way for a guy like me to make money online?

No more than there is for you to make money anywhere else. I am a full-time web developer. For every hour I work, the company I work for makes around 10 times from their clients what I do from them. I have a project that I'm working on in my spare time; however, this is going to require an enormous investment in time spent on functional design, front-end design, software architecture and development (and, if it ever actually reaches a stage where it's fit for use by the public, will cost me money in hosting and domain subscriptions) and I'll probably never make a penny from it.

The WWW is not the silver bullet to fast cash that people think it is. If it was, I probably wouldn't have a job. Developing a website that does anything more than act as a blog for you to dump other work (such as writing) in is going to take a huge amount of work and expertise and at the end of it you probably won't make a thing.

The logical path goes Idea -> Business -> Website. You can't start at the end and work back.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by Planto
No more than there is for you to make money anywhere else. I am a full-time web developer. For every hour I work, the company I work for makes around 10 times from their clients what I do from them. I have a project that I'm working on in my spare time; however, this is going to require an enormous investment in time spent on functional design, front-end design, software architecture and development (and, if it ever actually reaches a stage where it's fit for use by the public, will cost me money in hosting and domain subscriptions) and I'll probably never make a penny from it.

The WWW is not the silver bullet to fast cash that people think it is. If it was, I probably wouldn't have a job. Developing a website that does anything more than act as a blog for you to dump other work (such as writing) in is going to take a huge amount of work and expertise and at the end of it you probably won't make a thing.

ill invest in that project if u want ?
im a mathematics genius :smile:
and i have like £300 to my name, as well as being a full time student!

but seriously, u just hurt my feelings because now im going to be able buy anything until next summer after exams are over.

would u hire me? im really good with photoshop, i got A* in my graphics design and art? im actually really creative with photoshop, could come up with some really good logos.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Joseph-
ill invest in that project if u want ?
im a mathematics genius :smile:
and i have like £300 to my name, as well as being a full time student!

but seriously, u just hurt my feelings because now im going to be able buy anything until next summer after exams are over.

There are a couple of ways to make money:

Get someone to pay you for something they want doing (formally known as a job).

Invest in something - start a business, trade shares or gamble.

The second option will require a lot of time and effort and will not guarantee a return of any kind. This is why there are still quite a few people going for the first option.
Original post by Planto

If you actually have something to offer; such as interesting writing, music or art, then start a blog and put stuff there. Creating a website for the sake of creating a website is not going to get you anywhere.

The guy I am seeing made 2.5 million dollars from making a website/marketing so yeah it can be done. He was pretty much homeless before that...
Reply 18
Original post by Planto
There are a couple of ways to make money:

Get someone to pay you for something they want doing (formally known as a job).

Invest in something - start a business, trade shares or gamble.

The second option will require a lot of time and effort and will not guarantee a return of any kind. This is why there are still quite a few people going for the first option.

so is that a yes in investing in your project? i will actually do it, pay money and ill help out with the graphics design?

btw, this is the website i created...

bettervalues.co.uk

i cant return the domain, cost me £20 :frown:

and do u think it will work, i might as well try?

i created this a couple days ago, all is needed is the search engine!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Opinionscount
The guy I am seeing made 2.5 million dollars from making a website/marketing so yeah it can be done. He was pretty much homeless before that...

"Making a website/marketing" is a little bit vague. Care to elaborate? Because to me this sounds like a full-time marketing business with a digital presence, not a venture that started out with some bloke going "I'm gonna start a website and it's going to make me money."

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending