The Student Room Group

Plagiarism?

Hi, I am an A-Level student, I study English Literature and I've been coming across some really good essays that I would want to use and include phrases from and into my real exam.
Does this count as plagiarism?
Original post by nessa17
Hi, I am an A-Level student, I study English Literature and I've been coming across some really good essays that I would want to use and include phrases from and into my real exam.

Just play with the words a little, don’t directly copy it from the essay that isn’t yours that WILL count as plagiarism plus you could also add it onto your bibliography xx
Reply 2
Original post by nessa17

Yes, if you don't quote or paraphrase well they'll be detected as plagiarism.
Hi there,

It's great to hear that you've found inspiration for your English Literature studies.

In order to avoid plagiarism, make sure to always paraphrase the orginal text by adding your own words and sentence structures. Additionally, cite the source of the original ideas, even if you paraphrase them.

Using statements without proper citation can be considered plagiarism. The key is to ensure that you are adding your own ideas and interpretations, not just borrowing someone else's.

If you're still uncertain, make sure to consult your mentors or teachers and use the resources provided by them.

I hope I managed to help!

Best of luck,
Melanie
LSBU Rep
Original post by nessa17

Hi @nessa17

I think it should be okay as long as you credit the essays that you use in your bibliography/references page, and possibly an in-text citation.
For example: In Smith's (2008) paper he writes "...". This is really interesting because ...

That is generally how we do it at university level, but check how your teachers want you to reference literature as it may be different for A Levels.

I hope this helps:smile:

Anastasia,
BCU Student Rep.
Reply 5
Original post by BCU Student Rep
Hi @nessa17
I think it should be okay as long as you credit the essays that you use in your bibliography/references page, and possibly an in-text citation.
For example: In Smith's (2008) paper he writes "...". This is really interesting because ...
That is generally how we do it at university level, but check how your teachers want you to reference literature as it may be different for A Levels.
I hope this helps:smile:
Anastasia,
BCU Student Rep.

Hi I kinda want to use the ideas and base them as my own analysis as these are just essays coming from students themselves.
Reply 6
Original post by nooraaaaa
Just play with the words a little, don’t directly copy it from the essay that isn’t yours that WILL count as plagiarism plus you could also add it onto your bibliography xx

Sounds good thanku
Reply 7
Original post by LSBU Student Rep
Hi there,
It's great to hear that you've found inspiration for your English Literature studies.
In order to avoid plagiarism, make sure to always paraphrase the orginal text by adding your own words and sentence structures. Additionally, cite the source of the original ideas, even if you paraphrase them.
Using statements without proper citation can be considered plagiarism. The key is to ensure that you are adding your own ideas and interpretations, not just borrowing someone else's.
If you're still uncertain, make sure to consult your mentors or teachers and use the resources provided by them.
I hope I managed to help!
Best of luck,
Melanie
LSBU Rep

My own ideas arent that good. Same with what the teachers have provided so Ive been tryna use google for some top essays

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending