The Student Room Group

Disabled bus pass

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mosmof

we arent bitter, we are being equal.

Being equal is about giving everyone the same chance. For many disabled people, if they didn't have their bus pass, they wouldn't be able to go out. Especially if they've got to pay for someone to come with them.
Reply 61
Original post by OU Student
Being equal is about giving everyone the same chance. For many disabled people, if they didn't have their bus pass, they wouldn't be able to go out. Especially if they've got to pay for someone to come with them.

yeah and giving everyone the same chance to get to work, we are given the bus which we all have to pay money for.

i dont mean to be bitter, but its not fair disabled people think they should be entitled to travel to and from work for free when their non disabled colleagues have to pay
Original post by mosmof
yeah and giving everyone the same chance to get to work, we are given the bus which we all have to pay money for.

i dont mean to be bitter, but its not fair disabled people think they should be entitled to travel to and from work for free when their non disabled colleagues have to pay

The non disabled colleague also has the option of walking or cycling. A disabled person doesn't.

Would you rather we just sat around all day and claimed benefits? it's much cheaper to give disabled people free travel to enable them to get to work than pay them out of work benefits.

Is it right that a disabled person who needs someone with them, has to pay for themselves plus the other person?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 63
The non disabled colleague also has the option of walking or cycling. A disabled person doesn't.

Would you rather we just sat around all day and claimed benefits? it's much cheaper to give disabled people free travel to enable them to get to work than pay them out of work benefits.

Is it right that a disabled person who needs someone with them, has to pay for themselves plus the other person?

this is true, but then how far is the workplace if there is a bus service that connects it? within walking and cycling distance? probably not.

well tbh i see it a lot in the paper loads of people claiming disability benefits and there they are, working away on building sites etc. obviously not everyone is doing that.

and to your question, if that person is 100% dependent on them then no it isnt right
Original post by mosmof

well tbh i see it a lot in the paper loads of people claiming disability benefits and there they are, working away on building sites etc. obviously not everyone is doing that.

Because of course, newspapers aren't biased at all. :rolleyes: It's a minority doing that.
Reply 65
Because of course, newspapers aren't biased at all. :rolleyes: It's a minority doing that.

true, and i said not everyone was like that. however back to my point - if you are earning a wage, you shouldnt get free travel; funded by the tax payer to the workplace aswell.
Original post by mosmof
'compensation'...

and how is the government at fault for someone being disabled?!

They are not at fault but it is their responsibility to ensure fairness and being disabled isn;'t very fair to that person- think of the things they wouldn't be able to and the government is compensating by giving them a benefit.Think of what could happen if a business service is terrible, you deserve to be compensated and they often offer you another thing, if they unable to solve the original issues-its the same concept of fairness and compensation.
Original post by hannahchan
Can't you press a stop button? Thats really awful they wont stop unless you go to the front and tell them to stop.. :/...

Yeah, you press the stop button but they generally assume if you don't walk to the front that it was pressed by mistake. Several times when I literally couldn't stand up when I was on crutches I've had to shout to the bus driver to stop because he almost drove past my stop. Even though all the signs say to remain seated till the bus comes to a complete stop.
Reply 68
Original post by Dalek1099
They are not at fault but it is their responsibility to ensure fairness and being disabled isn;'t very fair to that person- think of the things they wouldn't be able to and the government is compensating by giving them a benefit.Think of what could happen if a business service is terrible, you deserve to be compensated and they often offer you another thing, if they unable to solve the original issues-its the same concept of fairness and compensation.

your comment leaves the original point and argument.
Reply 69
i know this is an old feed,but it highlights my current situation perfectly.ive had to surrender my driving licence due to siezures.this is obviously hopefully temporary.but i have to quit my job because i cant fit in taking my 3 children to school and a childminder and get to my part time job on public transport,no buses go near where i work,and theres not enough time to get there from school and then back after anyway.so i am currently unemployed,not through choice,i am entitled to a bus pass but i cannot use it to get my kids to school as that happens before 9.30.so i am paying out £6.25 on a group rider everyday,which is costing me the same as my petrol did when i was going much further everyday.plus in order to keep my car,i had to sign it over to my mother so i could still have it insured,which i still pay,i will also have to keep paying my tax and mot on it in order to keep it.wheres the fairness in this????i can get no help with the kids school travel,apparently we live too near,doesnt feel near when its taking me an hour and a half plus to get them there and the same back,and its not the linked school to where i live.why not?if its so near,it bloody well should be!!i cant be the only one surely?????

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending