Disabled Students’ Allowance - Eligibility

You can apply for Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA) if you have a disability or condition that affects your ability to study, such as a:

  • learning difficulty, such as dyslexia or ADHD
  • mental health condition, such as anxiety or depression
  • physical disability, such as if you’re partially sighted or have to use crutches
  • long-term health condition, such as cancer, chronic heart disease or HIV

You must also:

  • be an undergraduate or postgraduate student (including Open University or distance learning)
  • qualify for a Tuition Fee Loan and a Maintenance Loan from Student Finance England
  • be studying on a full-time or part-time course that lasts at least a year

You can’t get DSA if you’re:

  • only eligible for a Tuition fee only funding
  • eligible for the NHS Disabled Students’ Allowance (this is a separate scheme)
  • getting equivalent support from another funding source, like from your university or a social work bursary
  • studying a degree apprenticeship course

There is no age limit on who can get DSA.