The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Drunk Girls - pics

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
am i imagining it or in the picture below the bar can you see some boob ?:colone:
Reply 41
I can't believe that some people are downplaying this :s-smilie:

There's drunk, and then there's absolutely ****ing paralytic and the latter isn't exactly a rare occurrence in the UK!? So it might be hardly breaking news, but to me that's the sad thing about it.
Reply 42
Original post by Foghorn Leghorn
Actually going by your previous statements, from what i can tell blaiming the victim is exactly what you were doing. i.e.:

I get really pissed when people try to say, 'well the man should know better.' Seriously? Sure. In an ideal world! If you dress like a slut and are so drunk you cannot even speak, whose fault is it that some scum picks you off the street and rapes you?

And you haven't answered my question, should gay couples be discouraged from holding hands in the street?

That is actually not the same thing. Of course they shouldn't although in some overly religious communities, you would be advised not to for fear of prosecution. You would not openly do that in a place like Afghanistan would you? Unless you want to be stoned or put in jail or something.

We all have a right to act how we want and a woman of course has the right to dress how she wants and drink as much as she wants on a night out. She doesn't deserve to be raped because of that obviously. But actions have consequences. You have to realise that whatever choices you make, there is a consequence of that action. You should always try and prevent something from happening if you can.

Original post by Alexgadgetman
I accidentally left the prison doors open. No worries, they will know better than to escape :wink:

You seem to think that provoking a crime is not a bad thing.

If I see a gang of thugs carrying metal bars down the street, do I go out of my way to interact with them? It isn't my fault that I got my head smashed in, or is it.. surely by walking away I averted the circumstance. Don't get me wrong, circumstances like this don't change the doer's deed, but they can influence causation.

http://falserapesociety.blogspot.co.uk/2011/04/is-way-she-dressed-pertinent-in-rape.html

No you seem to think that a girl dressing in a certain manner is somehow provoking a crime. A girl going out and having fun with friends is hardly "provoking a crime". Your analogy doesn't follow the same logic. Intentionally interacting with people that you can clearly have bad intentions that will probably beat you up is not the same as someone going out minding their own business dressed in manner they feel fit then getting raped.
No you seem to think that a girl dressing in a certain manner is somehow provoking a crime. A girl going out and having fun with friends is hardly "provoking a crime". Your analogy doesn't follow the same logic. Intentionally interacting with people that you can clearly have bad intentions that will probably beat you up is not the same as someone going out minding their own business dressed in manner they feel fit then getting raped.

Are there bad people out there? Yes.
Can a woman's dress increase likelihood of a crime? Yes.
You are therefore intentionally interacting with bad people when you go out, unless you hold the opinion that predators do not exist. In which case, yes, you are entirely correct, yippie, I'll get the space cakes out!
Reply 46
You have no sympathy for someone getting raped? That's a bold statement to make. And you are going to be a lawer!

In certain situations, yes I have little or no sympathy for someone getting raped. If a person has made a conscious decision that they know will contribute towards a negative act being done to themselves, then my sympathy for them fades.

I can't see how getting intoxicated is looking for sexual attention?

I never stated that getting intoxicated is looking for sexual attention. The way that some women dress on a night out demonstrates that they are clearly seeking sexual attention from males. That's a big difference.

And can't understand your logic either. Why should we discourage people from doing things that has absolutely no effect on other people. If a woman wants to go out and get drunk then she should be able to considering it is her life and she should be free to choose how she should live it. Her actions aren't harming anyone else.

I never said that we should discourage people from doing things that have absolutely no effect on other people. I have no qualms with a woman wanting to go out and get drunk, it's her life and she's free to do as she pleases.

I really can't see how you can show such contempt for this as far as to say you would have no sympathy for them getting raped.

I have no sympathy for a woman who drinks so much as to intoxicate herself beyond all mental capacity to do anything else other than lay unconscious in the street. That's completely self inflicted, nobody else made that choice, she did. By doing so, you're leaving yourself very vulnerable to being robbed, attacked, sexually assaulted, raped or arrested. If any of those happen to the woman then yes I have no sympathy. She took a conscious decision to forfeit her mental capacity and as such leaves herself vulnerable to crime of all sorts. If she hasn't got enough self-respect to care after herself and take the necessary precautions to do so, i.e. don't get so pissed that she loses all cognitive capability... then no I don't have any respect of sympathy.

By that logic gay couples shouldn't hold hands in the street because there are people out there that are so homophobic that they may decide to throw verbal or even physical abuse at the gay couple.

To some extent... yes. If you are a gay couple going to Uganda, that's a risk you've chosen to take, and a risk that probably wont go in your favour where the death penalty is enforced against homosexuals. The same that you don't drink so much alcohol that you cannot look after yourself in a situation where you are at a higher chance of being raped. Nor do you wear a red bandana walking through a crip block. If you're putting yourself in a potentially risky situation, you don't heighten the risk and leave yourself open to exposure in X,Y or Z way. I have little sympathy for people who take a risk and then heighten the risk by making a conscious and irrational decision to do so.

Original post by Izzyeviel
Yes, let us blame the victims and not the perpetrators of crime. :facepalm2:

I never said anywhere that I do not blame the perpetrators of crime, but the easier the victim exposes themselves to crime, the less sympathy I have for them.

If someone left their front door open because they couldn't be bothered to lock it, and subsequently got robbed, then I can't really say I have much sympathy for them... leaving your front door open is a pretty stupid thing to do. Dressing like a stripper and intoxicating yourself so much that you pass out on the street is also a pretty stupid thing to do, and as such I cannot sympathise with many consequences of this.

Original post by SuziieB
I am a girl and I completely agree.

I get really pissed when people try to say, 'well the man should know better.' Seriously? Sure. In an ideal world! If you dress like a slut and are so drunk you cannot even speak, whose fault is it that some scum picks you off the street and rapes you?

If you leave your car unlocked with the key in the ignition, would you say that the robber should know better?

People need to stop being naive and stupid. Women should also start taking more responsibility for their actions.

Finally that someone sees it from my POV! Yes in an ideal world it wouldn't be a issue, but this world can be very dark at times and is far from ideal. Bad stuff happens and when you consciously heighten the risk of something bad happening then you've increased the chance of something bad happening.

It's incredibly naive to think that a young woman going out dressed like a stripper wouldn't get the wrong type of attention. We don't live in a crime free world.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Alexgadgetman
I will happily answer that: If there is an increased risk of homophobic attack and risk to the person, then hell yes! Though it is the state's job to protect the people, where this is not possible does not common sense kick in? People need to exercise some of the aforementioned. Too often they feel they have a legal right which gives them a 'right'. They can whinge about that in court, unfortunately for the present they are being beat up.

"If there is an increased risk of homophobic attack". So basically homosexual couples and women should research where they can and cannot act accordingly? Do you think the women that get raped in nights out are stupid enough to walk down "rape alley" by themself? People shouldn't have to fear persecution in a city centre and women shouldn't have to fear rape in a city center simply because they decided to wear a certain type of dress. Precautions are good, but at what point do precautions become oppression? If we just say women shouldn't dress in a certain manner, gays shouldn't hands in public then what the hells is the point in going outside. People shouldn't live their life in fear because they decided to do something that had no negative effect on anyone but are then victims of a crime caused by sinister individuals and blamed because they didn't take "precautions".
So basically homosexual couples and women should research where they can and cannot act accordingly?
Do you think the women that get raped in nights out are stupid enough to walk down "rape alley" by themself?

1) No, they should use common sense, duh.
2) Well, I hate to say it but many of them look as though they walk a metaphorical alley of that name.
Reply 49
Original post by Rybee
Finally that someone sees it from my POV! Yes in an ideal world it wouldn't be a issue, but this world can be very dark at times and is far from ideal. Bad stuff happens and when you consciously heighten the risk of something bad happening then you've increased the chance of something bad happening.

It's incredibly naive to think that a young woman going out dressed like a stripper wouldn't get the wrong type of attention. We don't live in a crime free world.

I completely agree. Sure a woman should feel free to dress how she wants but people need to wake up - and fast. You can't live your life with the belief that you can make whatever choices you want and not have to suffer whatever consequences or repercussions that might ensue. Life does not work like that.

Can a woman's dress increase likelihood of a crime? Yes.
You are therefore intentionally interacting with bad people when you go out, unless you hold the opinion that predators do not exist. In which case, yes, you are entirely correct, yippie, I'll get the space cakes out!

No if you see someone holding an offensive weapon you automatically have reason to believe that person is possible danger and you probably shouldn't interact with that person. On the other hand if a woman goes out dressed in revealing clothing and happens to come across a potential rapist unless she is the type of person that automatically assumes every male they meet is a potential rapist then they have no reason to believe they are in any danger. If he then later decides to rape her that is purely his fault not hers. She did not aticipate being raped. Equally if a woman goes out and is dressed in revealing clothing and doesn't even interact with any males but still happens to get raped (which happens) that is still not her fault.

TBH the potential for getting raped is probably relatively the same whether the woman is dressed in revealing clothing or not. So what should we suggest then that women avoid men altogether. Or better yet women avoid going out altogether.
Original post by SuziieB
That is actually not the same thing. Of course they shouldn't although in some overly religious communities, you would be advised not to for fear of prosecution. You would not openly do that in a place like Afghanistan would you? Unless you want to be stoned or put in jail or something.

We all have a right to act how we want and a woman of course has the right to dress how she wants and drink as much as she wants on a night out. She doesn't deserve to be raped because of that obviously. But actions have consequences. You have to realise that whatever choices you make, there is a consequence of that action. You should always try and prevent something from happening if you can.

It's exactly the same thing. To suggest women shouldn't dress revealingly in public for fear of personal safety is the same as gay couples not being allowed to hold hands for fear of personal safety.
Reply 52
No if you see someone holding an offensive weapon you automatically have reason to believe that person is possible danger and you probably shouldn't interact with that person. On the other hand if a woman goes out dressed in revealing clothing and happens to come across a potential rapist unless she is the type of person that automatically assumes every male they meet is a potential rapist then they have no reason to believe they are in any danger. If he then later decides to rape her that is purely his fault not hers. She did not aticipate being raped. Equally if a woman goes out and is dressed in revealing clothing and doesn't even interact with any males but still happens to get raped (which happens) that is still not her fault.

TBH the potential for getting raped is probably relatively the same whether the woman is dressed in revealing clothing or not. So what should we suggest then that women avoid men altogether. Or better yet women avoid going out altogether.

No. I assure you, it is not.

You're incredibly naive and rather stupid. You're not thinking in terms of the real world, you're in Neverland where everyone's happy and holds hands. Simple question... If a young girl is dressed provocatively and passed out in the street, is she more likely to be the victim of rape than a young lady who is dressed more conservatively and a little bit tipsy, but quite in control of herself?

It's a no brainer. I have no idea why you are trying to argue otherwise.
Interesting that these are all pictures of drunk women. The Editor must have felt this struck a voyeuristic chord with the Daily Mail's "conservative" readership. Or is it somehow worse that women are so intoxicated than men? As usual this article says much more about the Daily Mail than about those photographed.
Original post by SuziieB
I completely agree. Sure a woman should feel free to dress how she wants but people need to wake up - and fast. You can't live your life with the belief that you can make whatever choices you want and not have to suffer whatever consequences or repercussions that might ensue. Life does not work like that.

Everything you say still says you are victim blaiming here. Suffer repercussions, for what doing something like dressing in a manner of your choice that has no negative impact on anyone else?

If there is a potential that women can get raped ever is she is wearing a head to to toes gown (which there is), how far do we take these precautions? Should women not interact with men they don't know full stop? But they can still get raped even if they don't interact with them, so should woman just stay in the house?
Reply 56
It's exactly the same thing. To suggest women shouldn't dress revealingly in public for fear of personal safety is the same as gay couples not being allowed to hold hands for fear of personal safety.

But would you go to a country that publicly persecutes homosexuals and make an open demonstration of homosexuality? Would you actually do that? I never said it is right but do show some signs of self preservation, please.

But would you go to a country that publicly persecutes homosexuals and make an open demonstration of homosexuality? Would you actually do that? I never said it is right but do show some signs of self preservation, please.

I lol'd!

He's not grasping this point at all. This is the exact point that I'm making. For some things in life, you just don't do it - whatever 'it' may be.
Reply 58
Original post by Rybee
I lol'd!

He's not grasping this point at all. This is the exact point that I'm making. For some things in life, you just don't do it - whatever 'it' may be.

Seems like the kind of person who would walk the plains of Africa, and make the claim, 'I have a right to not be eaten by a hungry lion, therefore I should be able to take an unplanned, unsupervised stroll across the savannah without any protection. It is my right after all.'

Ok, so here's two different scenarios -

A. You're a rapist looking for your very first target and you see a nice looking woman, on the floor passed out drunk in a very revealing low cut dress.

B. You're a rapist looking for your very first target and you see a nice looking woman, waiting for a taxi and wearing jeans and a winter jacket.

Who are you more likely to rape A or B?

I felt like I had to put this in extremely simple terms, for some reason :confused:

Latest

Trending

Trending