The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180

It says I need to request access, is that supposed to happen? :/
Original post by gemmabug
It says I need to request access, is that supposed to happen? :/

It works for me.

The structure of the ligand is wrong as there should be a hydrogen missing from one of the oxygen, so the ligand has an overall -1 charge.
I was baffled by the last question and paniced.

But I wrote one thing which was "7H20", recon that'll get one mark? haha.

Goodbye University of Nottingham :frown:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 183
Guys can someone PLEASE be honest and tell me how many marks ill lose for writing methanoic acid as COOH :frown: erghhhh but I said all the 'when acid is added/alkali added stuff' would I lose ALL 7?!
Original post by emilykateh
Thats great you found it ok, hope you did as well as you think. However I'm not sure it's fair to say people are 'making it out' to be difficult, that's just their take isn't it.

That's what I said. People are saying it was hard. I acknowledged it.

I'm not forcing it on anyone that it was easy and they shouldn't believe otherwise.
Reply 185
I think it was easier than January's paper but with a few hard questions starting from question 5 of the paper onwards.
I think I got 9H20 for the last question but I was rushing as the time went out. I just hope I beat my previous grade which was a C. I didn't revise last time and therefore I'm a fool.
Original post by Brutal_Pigeon
With the last question, I somehow ended up with NiSO4 . 9H2O.

I worked out there being 0.08 moles of water present... then right at the end to get water of crystaillsation, I did (0.08)/(moles of NiSO4 in the 1.38g, that being 1.38/154.8) which ended up being 8.97 - close enough to 9. Everyone walked out of the exam saying they got 7, and most people in this thread say they got 7. Have I forgotten how to work out water of crystallisation?

I felt like the paper was easy, but long. My write is sore and I am now developing carpal tunnel syndrome as a result of intense revision sunday/monday, computing unit 3 on tuesday, and chemistry today - SO MUCH PAIN! THE PAIN IS GOOD!

I also felt I was running out of time. On the electrode potentials question, I had complete brain-death at the question when it said use redox systems 3 4 and 5 to make 3 equations. I worked out what it was asking right in the last 20 seconds of the exam and only had time to put one down.

Aside from that, I think everything else went fairly well... this was my first time sitting this unit and I didn't find it nearly as difficult as some people are making it out to be.

</brag>

I got 9H20 also but I want to see the paper again so I can have another crack at it.

There was one mistake the reaction of iron with chlorine was written as Fe3+ + 3CL- ----> FeCl3
It was solid Iron thus the reaction would be
2Fe + 3Cl2 ----> 2FeCl3
Reply 189
Original post by LaChiffre
Oh i didnt get NiSO4.7H2O :frown:

OMG is that the right answer :eek:
Original post by Mathlover123
There was one mistake the reaction of iron with chlorine was written as Fe3+ + 3CL- ----> FeCl3
2Fe + 3Cl2 ----> 2FeCl3

can you have multiples???
instead of redox, i wrote oxidation reaction.....\*facepalm...
Original post by ambrin ox
can you have multiples???

Multiples are fine. (:

Original post by niki135
Guys can someone PLEASE be honest and tell me how many marks ill lose for writing methanoic acid as COOH :frown: erghhhh but I said all the 'when acid is added/alkali added stuff' would I lose ALL 7?!

Hmm. It would be unfair that you'd lose all marks, especially since you have the general idea.
Original post by ambrin ox
instead of redox, i wrote oxidation reaction.....\*facepalm...

I put precipitation. At least you got it half-right :biggrin:
Reply 194
Original post by Mathlover123
2Fe + 3Cl2 ----> 2FeCl3

I didn't write the mark scheme mate, I just got it off the other F325 thread...regardless I kinda cocked up that question on Fe and the multiple experiments, hmmm
i wrote 7H2O.NiSO4 instead of the other way round.... will i lose marks for this?
Has anyone got the paper itself?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 197
Original post by scastleman1
i wrote 7H2O.NiSO4 instead of the other way round.... will i lose marks for this?

I highly doubt that matters, you should be fine
Reply 198

The equation for the reaction (2 Mark)
2[Fe(H2O)6]3+ + Zn 2[Fe(H2O)6]2+ + Zn2+

I'm sure it never asked for the reaction just the formula of [Fe(H2O)6]2+
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 199
For the last question, I putni(DMG)2.7H20. I showed all my workings out, so how many marks would I get? :s-smilie:

Latest

Trending

Trending