The Student Room Group

Regarding student finance eligibility

My concern is that, I have been in uk since 2013, I gain my residence rights in December 2019 as an extended family member (cousin) to an eu national.After gaining residency card u then become a family member under Eu settlement scheme. My Eu sponsor have settled status and still working. I have also worked continuously for 4 years, got contract, payslip, p60 and pre settled status. I have gained admission to University to undertake bsc mental health 3year course starting 2023/24.
I applied for student finance tuition loan/maintenance which was granted on 27th June 2023, however the maintenance loan was small so I appeal and challenge for more.
I have received an email yesterday that I was initially not eligible for student finance because am not a direct family member so they have cancelled everything and given me appeal right. Is there anything I could do or if u can possibly help?
Original post by Nanabob
My concern is that, I have been in uk since 2013, I gain my residence rights in December 2019 as an extended family member (cousin) to an eu national.After gaining residency card u then become a family member under Eu settlement scheme. My Eu sponsor have settled status and still working. I have also worked continuously for 4 years, got contract, payslip, p60 and pre settled status. I have gained admission to University to undertake bsc mental health 3year course starting 2023/24.
I applied for student finance tuition loan/maintenance which was granted on 27th June 2023, however the maintenance loan was small so I appeal and challenge for more.
I have received an email yesterday that I was initially not eligible for student finance because am not a direct family member so they have cancelled everything and given me appeal right. Is there anything I could do or if u can possibly help?

Hi there,

Can you please confirm your nationality? Do you expect to get Indefinite Leave to Remain or Settled Status soon?

Thanks, Graeme
Reply 2
I hold Ghanaian passport, will get indefinite on 12th December 2024.
But I want to appeal this their decision so I can go to school this year. Anyone who can help me and guide me to appeal it and win, or do I need a lawyer to represent me.
Original post by Nanabob
I hold Ghanaian passport, will get indefinite on 12th December 2024.
But I want to appeal this their decision so I can go to school this year. Anyone who can help me and guide me to appeal it and win, or do I need a lawyer to represent me.

Hi there, To appeal the decision you would need to follow the guidance provided on how to make the appeal. However based on the information and your situation we would advise that you apply once you have received your settled status to be eligible for funding.
Thanks, Angela

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending