The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 980
I really don't know who to get my essays marked by, my teachers at school don't seem to know how to mark :|My teacher gives me minus marks for no conclusion when it says clearly no marks offered for intro/conclusion! I really don't know what to do!!!
Thanks James! Dunno what I'd do without you. So, double checking, The ATP which attaches to the myosin heads breaks the cross bridge without being hydrolysed, then this same ATP IS hydrolysed to return the myosin to its original positions.
Original post by Anniestasia
Thanks James! Dunno what I'd do without you. So, double checking, The ATP which attaches to the myosin heads breaks the cross bridge without being hydrolysed, then this same ATP IS hydrolysed to return the myosin to its original positions.

Yeah, all it does is replace the ADP molecule that just left and this is what breaks the bridge. Yeah then this same ATP is hydrolysed and the energy released allows the myosin to return to it's original position!

I was doing this chapter all day, so it's quite fresh in my head. The hard bits to remember about this mechanism is the ATP and ADP business and how this affects the movement of the myosin head!

I need to get cracking with the synoptic essay revision soon :emo:
Anyone know what terms should be used in the exam to reperesent the release and joining of Myosin head onto the actin filament?
Thanks
Original post by propagation
Anyone know what terms should be used in the exam to reperesent the release and joining of Myosin head onto the actin filament?
Thanks

Binding by forming a cross bridge.
Original post by erniiee
Aha I was just planning my exam strategy! Gonna try it out on the mock to see if it works. I didn't think about checking out the synoptic questions - that's a great idea. I think the idea of jotting down things for the essay is really good, I'll try and use the first 1-9 questions as a prompt (hopefully) and write down any buzzwords at the end of each question to help for the essay plan.

My plan is
-Spend around 90 mins on the first 9 questions
-15 mins max on question 9 seeing as its the repeat of horrendous old Q7 in BIOL4 (eurgh)
-max of 10 mins per question on 1-8. Hopefully this should give me 5 mins to check through the first 75 marks of the paper.

That should bring me to 95 mins, leaving 40 mins for the essay.

Then
-10 mins planning the essay in as much detail as possible with that time
-write for 25 mins
-remaining 5 mins I'd use to read through and add anything to the plan I don't think I'll have time to write into the essay (as that can apparently get you marks!)

That would bring me to 135 mins - 2 loooong hours and 15 mins. This paper is gonna be beastly, lord help me

Sounds like a good plan! :tongue:

The length of it isn't going to bother me, my geography exam is 2 hours 30 minutes to write 7 essays :facepalm:
Reply 986
Original post by Mocking_bird
Sounds like a good plan! :tongue:

The length of it isn't going to bother me, my geography exam is 2 hours 30 minutes to write 7 essays :facepalm:

:eek: :eek: :eek:

SEVEN essays?! Lord have mercy on your soul aha! That is quite demanding.
Time to go through questions on the Menstrual Cycle!
Reply 988
Feeling madly unprepared for this i preferred unit 4 :frown:
Reply 989
Currently doin an essay on the "Importance of cycles in Biology" and i really am sure on what to write for the menstrual cycle :| Can someone please help me!

Oh an I found this on another thread on TSR, all credit goes to the person who uploaded it on the other thread, but i thought I might as well share it :smile:

Hopefully you find it useful guys!!

http://biology5revision.webs.com/Synoptic%20Essay%20Pack.pdf
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by MLogan
Currently doin an essay on the "Importance of cycles in Biology" and i really am sure on what to write for the menstrual cycle :| Can someone please help me!

Oh an I found this on another thread on TSR, all credit goes to the person who uploaded it on the other thread, but i thought I might as well share it :smile:

Hopefully you find it useful guys!!

http://biology5revision.webs.com/Synoptic%20Essay%20Pack.pdf

What are you unsure what to write? Just talk about it all since its all part of the cycle.

1) Pituitary gland releases FSH into blood -> Stimulates follicles to grow which contain egg
2) Follicles secrete oestrogen into the blood and inhibit the release of FSH and LH (negative feedback)
3) Follicles continue to grow and produce more oestrogen until day 10 -> reaches critical point which stimulates a sudden surge in LH and FSH (positive feedback)
4) Surge in LH causes follicle to release an egg. This is ovulation.
5) LH stimulates follicles to develop into corpus luteum which secretes progesterone.
6) Progesterone maintains the uterus lining and inhibits FSH/LH
7) If the egg isn’t fertilised the corpus luteum degenerates and no longer produces progesterone so lining no longer maintains and breaks down causing bleeding.
8) FSH is now no longer inhibited by the progesterone so the cycle can start again.

Maybe briefly include what happens if fertilisation does occur, so the cycle doesn't start again... but only briefly.
Reply 991
What are you unsure what to write? Just talk about it all since its all part of the cycle.

1) Pituitary gland releases FSH into blood -> Stimulates follicles to grow which contain egg
2) Follicles secrete oestrogen into the blood and inhibit the release of FSH and LH (negative feedback)
3) Follicles continue to grow and produce more oestrogen until day 10 -> reaches critical point which stimulates a sudden surge in LH and FSH (positive feedback)
4) Surge in LH causes follicle to release an egg. This is ovulation.
5) LH stimulates follicles to develop into corpus luteum which secretes progesterone.
6) Progesterone maintains the uterus lining and inhibits FSH/LH
7) If the egg isn’t fertilised the corpus luteum degenerates and no longer produces progesterone so lining no longer maintains and breaks down causing bleeding.
8) FSH is now no longer inhibited by the progesterone so the cycle can start again.

Maybe briefly include what happens if fertilisation does occur, so the cycle doesn't start again... but only briefly.

Yeah i was thinking to write about that, but i was just confused whether that shows the importance of the cycle? Isn't this explanation more to do with the importance of hormones? Im really no sure :|
Original post by MLogan
Yeah i was thinking to write about that, but i was just confused whether that shows the importance of the cycle? Isn't this explanation more to do with the importance of hormones? Im really no sure :|

But the different levels of hormones and what they do are the importance of the cycle.

It's like trying to explain the nitrogen cycle without the different bacteria... or the different photosynthesis/respiration cycles without the enzymes :tongue:
Reply 993
But the different levels of hormones and what they do are the importance of the cycle.

It's like trying to explain the nitrogen cycle without the different bacteria... or the different photosynthesis/respiration cycles without the enzymes :tongue:

lol true ! I think i just look into the question a bit too much :| Thank you :smile:
Reply 994
Can the Menstrual cycle be made to seem any more interesting?
is the point between two dendrites a synapse?
Original post by MLogan
Can the Menstrual cycle be made to seem any more interesting?

:rofl: brilliant!
Reply 997
Hello,

Does anyone mind telling me, when marking the essay in terms of the scientific content on how it's marked; say the title is about cycles. And you talk about menstrual cycle and thermoregulation cycle, and the muscle contraction cycle is it 2 marks for each single topic you talk about? Or if you go in depth on how they are a cycle etc then they keep getting ticks? I was looking at the MS and it says for scientific content you get 2 marks for each point since it's out of 16 you need 8 points about different cycles or can I just use the 3 I mentioned and still get full marks??
Original post by sechdent8
is the point between two dendrites a synapse?

Dendrites don't join synapse with each other. (well, they can but we do not need to know this for our spec)
A dendrite synapses with a axon terminal.
Reply 999
Im doing an essay on "The causes of disease in humans" and for that can Lifestyle - food intake and exercise be a different point from deficiency diseases which is cause due to lack of specific nutrients in the diet?

Latest

Trending

Trending