The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1380
how is ATP required for the cross-bridge formation between myosin heads and actin filaments? I thought it was the ADP molecule that allowed the myosin head to bind to the actin?
Original post by dizzy17
how is ATP required for the cross-bridge formation between myosin heads and actin filaments? I thought it was the ADP molecule that allowed the myosin head to bind to the actin?

Well the ATP molecule would become hydrolysed into ADP and phosphate and the energy from the reaction allows the myosin to attach to actin binding site forming the cross bridge. The ADP molecule is attached to the myosin head to later join to phosphate molecule and this condensation reaction provides the energy for the myosin head to be removed from the binding site.

I think this is right, haven't gone over muscle contraction again yet so I could be saying rubbish....
Could someone please explain what a palindromic sequence is? This term is new to me.
Original post by starfish232
Could someone please explain what a palindromic sequence is? This term is new to me.

I'll try..
A palindromic sequence is a sequence of DNA base pairs are a anti-parallel to each other.
An example would be say, if one DNA strand had the sequence : GAATTC, the other, complimentary strand would have the sequence: CTTAAG, if you notice both sequences are palindromes to each other.
Restriction endonuclease enzymes are enzymes that recognize these specific palindromic sequences, which are also known as recognition sequences :smile:
Hope that helped
Original post by DavidYorkshireFTW
I'll try..
A palindromic sequence is a sequence of DNA base pairs are a anti-parallel to each other.
An example would be say, if one DNA strand had the sequence : GAATTC, the other, complimentary strand would have the sequence: CTTAAG, if you notice both sequences are palindromes to each other.
Restriction endonuclease enzymes are enzymes that recognize these specific palindromic sequences, which are also known as recognition sequences :smile:
Hope that helped

So are palindromic sequences just bases sequences that can be read backwards and forwards like one strand shows the DNA sequence being read forward whilst the other strand shows the sequence as it would be read backwards

Does this also mean that the endonuclease can join on ether side of the recognition site because it's a palindromic sequence?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by starfish232
So are palindromic sequences just bases sequences that can be read backwards and forwards like one strand shows the DNA sequence being read forward whilst the other strand shows the sequence as it would be read backwards

Does this also mean that the endonuclease can join on ether side of the recognition site because it's a palindromic sequence?

Yes that's pretty much it!

Restriction endonucleases cut at palendromic sequences in the DNA, which are specific to the enzyme, which creates sticky ends. RE also do this to the vector (plasmid) i believe, so that the sticky ends of the target DNA and the plasmid are complimentary to each other, this way they stick together, with help of an enzymes called DNA ligase, this process is called ligation.

Hope that helped :smile:
Original post by DavidYorkshireFTW
Yes that's pretty much it!

Restriction endonucleases cut at palendromic sequences in the DNA, which are specific to the enzyme, which creates sticky ends. RE also do this to the vector (plasmid) i believe, so that the sticky ends of the target DNA and the plasmid are complimentary to each other, this way they stick together, with help of an enzymes called DNA ligase, this process is called ligation.

Hope that helped :smile:

Thank you! :smile:
Have a couple of questions on glucose control

Firstly, which target cells do glucagon, insulin and adrenaline bind to.

Secondly, when insulin is released, in the exams should I write enzymes released which increase glycogenesis or just increased glyogenesis.

thirdly, how much do we need to know about adrenaline in terms of glucose control?

Finally, in the book I read that people with type II diabetes can produce insulin but receptors on target cells dont work properly but on other pages I read that insulin cannot be produced. Which is the truth?

Any help will be appreciated
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by master y
just wondering, if possible please could you post one of your essays here? Do you ask your teachers to mark them? Thank u

I'm an external student so don't really have a proper teacher, but I did get them to mark my causes of disease one. its the only one i actually did under the 45 min time limit aswell. He gave me 23/25 and told me the only reason i didnt get 25 is because you will never get that in the exam, which annoyed me :/ . anyways Ill post it later today :smile:
Reply 1389
Original post by helpme456

Secondly, when insulin is released, in the exams should I write enzymes released which increase glycogenesis or just increased glyogenesis.

thirdly, how much do we need to know about adrenaline in terms of glucose control?

Finally, in the book I read that people with type II diabetes can produce insulin but receptors on target cells dont work properly but on other pages I read that insulin cannot be produced. Which is the truth?

glucagon - only liver cells have receptors for
insulin - most cells have receptors for insulin, RBC dont
adrenaline - i dont know

just know the fact that adrenaline inhibits gylcogenesis and causes glycolysis

type II can produce insulin but the receptors have lost effectiveness.

i think thats all right someone check please.
Reply 1390
Original post by helpme456

Glucagon - binds to receptors on the liver cells
Insulin - all body cells if I'm correct
Adrenaline - it targets the sympathetic nervous system I'm not sure exactly what cells it targets I think generally body cells

2. Say that insulin binds to the insulin receptors on body cells which then activates enzymes that increase the uptake of glucose from the blood + the conversion of glucose to glycogen like you said.

3. In terms of adrenaline you basically need to understand it works by the second messenger model (correct me anyone if that's not strictly correct) where adrenaline attaches onto receptors on body cells which then activates enzymes that convert glycogen to glucose. That's really it, a 2 marker on adrenaline came up on the June 2012 paper and it just required you to know that.

4. As far as I know for type 2 diabetes, insulin is still produced but target cells are less responsive to it. Type 1 diabetes is when insulin isn't produced due to autoimmune response etc...
Reply 1391
Can someone please give me an understandable overview and summary of the menstrual cycle?

I'd be most grateful :smile:

Thanks,

Cas'
Could anyone please summarise the effects of indoleacetic acid (IAA)?
Reply 1393
Original post by erniiee

IAA - auxin (plant hormone) produced at the tips of shoots and roots

(looking at a shoot/root tip horizontally)

At the tips of shoots, it stimulates growth of cells by elongation. IAA at the tips of the shoots diffuse to the bottom half of the shoot , increasing growth of cells on the bottom half so that the bottom half of the shoot is longer than the top half and hence, curves upwards towards the light.

At the root tips, IAA inhibitis growth. IAA diffuses downwards to the bottom half of the root tip and inhibits growth of the bottom half of the root tip. Hence, the upper half of the root tip has grown more and so the whole root tip bends downwards towards gravity.
(edited 10 years ago)
Can anyone explain the secondary messenger model for me please?

Thanks
Reply 1395
Original post by neelam123h
Can anyone explain the secondary messenger model for me please?

Thanks

Someone a few pages asked the exact same question I think but I'll answer this,

The Secondary messenger model is basically when a hormone/compound binds to receptors on target cells which activates enzymes inside those target cells to carry out changes e.g. metabolic.

To put it into context, I talked about adrenaline earlier on this page is an example of this model.
Original post by Castiel'
Someone a few pages asked the exact same question I think but I'll answer this,

The Secondary messenger model is basically when a hormone/compound binds to receptors on target cells which activates enzymes inside those target cells to carry out changes e.g. metabolic.

To put it into context, I talked about adrenaline earlier on this page is an example of this model.

Can someone explain the main steps which are needed in genetic fingerprinting?

Thanks
Original post by erniiee

An extra point to add onto what Castiel said, in the root tip ..
- in low quantities IAA stimulates root tip growth
- in high quantities IAA inhibits root tip growth
Reply 1399
Original post by neelam123h
Can someone explain the main steps which are needed in genetic fingerprinting?

Thanks

1. Use restriction endonuclease enzyme to cut the DNA into fragements.
2. Separate the DNA fragments using Gel Electrophoresis (the shorter the DNA fragment the further it travels on the gel when a current is applied to the gel)
3. Put the DNA fragments onto a nylon membrane
4. Add radioactively labelled DNA probes with the fragments on the nylon membrane. DNA probes have bases complementary to those on the DNA fragments and they will bind to the complementary bases on the DNA fragments.
5. Put the nylon membrane containing the DNA fragments onto a X-Ray film and let the film develop.
6. The radioactivity from the DNA probes will show where the DNA fragments are and you will get a series of DNA bands.
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending