The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JenLivYoung
Hey! From the mark scheme I was given by my teacher, I got told that there's only 2 extra marks for out of spec stuff, so personally I wouldn't stress about learning reams, just read round a bit and see if there's anything relevant that you could maybe include, but I wouldn't panic if you can't fit it in on the day :smile:

how are you reading around the subject? What sources are u using? :smile:
Reply 1581
Original post by loveheartsandall
Hi everyone, this is a question about unit 4 but I couldn't find the thread for it. I'm guessing you're all doing unit 4 or have done it anyway??? My school has decided to do the whole course at the end of the year ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Anyway can anyone answer this question from the Jan 2011 Unit 4 paper?

"Residual food intake RFI is the different between the amount of food an animal actually eats and its expected food intake based on its size and growth rate. Scientists have selectively bred cattle for low RFI.

When RFI is calculated, low values are negative. Explain why there are negative."

WHY??? I've looked on the mark scheme and it says "amount of food take in is less than expected" but this doesn't make sense to me

Please can someone explain?? Many thanks

Well it might help if we add numbers to this. So say that the expected food intake is 15 arbitrary units. However, in reality, the animal only eats 10 arbitrary units. As RFI is Actual intake - Expected intake, this would mean 10 - 15 which is -5. Therefore, because actual is always less than expected you will always get a negative answer.

Hope this helps.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by master y
how are you reading around the subject? What sources are u using? :smile:

The BBC news health & science pages are useful, as they are current uses and often relate back to our course, but obviously extend it.
Some of the textbooks also are very helpful and include extra detail, so it's worth looking through them.
If a particular topic interests you then google it and see what articles and journals relate to it and read around it! It's always easier to learn things when you enjoy them :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by lala12
Well it might help if we add numbers to this. So say that the expected food intake is 15 arbitrary units. However, in reality, the animal only eats 10 arbitrary units. As RFI is Actual intake - Expected intake, this would mean 10 - 15 which is -5. Therefore, because actual is always less than expected you will always get a negative answer.

Hope this helps.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's perfect, thanks!!:smile:
Hellooo everyone,

I just want to get an idea of what revision (if any) everyone is doing for the synoptic essay (and synoptic questions I guess), because I set myself the task of revising everything I think might be relevant, which as it turns out is pretty much the whole course... All that with Unit 5 added on plus extra bits for the high essay marks is proving a bit difficult to achieve.

What areas are you focusing on? Are you actively re-learning or just reading over the AS & Unit 4 textbook/notes?

Thank you!

Edit -- I haven't got any re-sits of previous units so I haven't looked at 1 and 2 since last year
(edited 10 years ago)
Hi. I have a quick question. Any help will be much appreciated!!

From my (summarised) understanding of an action potential..

Stimulus > Na+ channels open and diffuse into axon - depolarisation
threshold - more Na+ channels open and even more Na+ ions diffuse in.
Action potential is reached.
Na+ channels close and K+ channels open - K+ ions leave axon
If too many K+ leave - hyper polarisation caused by overshoot
Heres where im slightly confused:
If K+ ions are leaving, why is it called REpolarisation?
When the membrane was polarised K+ ions moved IN making the axon more neg than outside. But not its the opposite?? So I dont understand how the resting potential is restored :s-smilie:
Reply 1586
Any idea on the essay question as to what jt could be

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HELPIMSTUCK
SPECIFICATION A

Spoiler

SPECIFICATION B

Spoiler

- There may be more which I have not found. We did the specification A ones in college

Thank you so much!

Original post by master y
is IAA a hormone or a growth factor thingy?

IAA is plant growth factor. It can be considered the equivalent of a mammalian hormone. So it basically is a "plant hormone".
Reply 1588
what could i write about in the negative feedback essay?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by samfreak

Posted from TSR Mobile

Control of blood glucose, heart rate, menstrual cycle

That's not much, sorry. I can't think of many more examples :/
Original post by Beth_L_G
Control of blood glucose, heart rate, menstrual cycle

That's not much, sorry. I can't think of many more examples :/

Original post by samfreak

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is the predatoy-prey relationship one?
Hi everyone. Just wondering, when we refer to Transcriptional factors, for this specification, are we to assume that they all function as activators or also as repressors. I came across a question n the june'10 paper of oestrogen. The description they provide in the mark scheme is of oestrogen functioning as an activator, though there are no clues in the question to suggest that all it functions is as an activator. Thank you!
So no one can help me? :frown:
Original post by HopefulPharm
Hi. I have a quick question. Any help will be much appreciated!!

From my (summarised) understanding of an action potential..

Stimulus > Na+ channels open and diffuse into axon - depolarisation
threshold - more Na+ channels open and even more Na+ ions diffuse in.
Action potential is reached.
Na+ channels close and K+ channels open - K+ ions leave axon
If too many K+ leave - hyper polarisation caused by overshoot
Heres where im slightly confused:
If K+ ions are leaving, why is it called REpolarisation?
When the membrane was polarised K+ ions moved IN making the axon more neg than outside. But not its the opposite?? So I dont understand how the resting potential is restored :s-smilie:

ok well well just so you know (incase you didn't already) both potassium and sodium are both positively charged. They call it positive and negative as it is all relative, due to sodium potassium pump, there is more sodium out than potassium in, so they call the inside negatively charged and out side positively charged.

ok, so, normally sodium are out but in the case of an action potential---membrane made permeable to sodium, hence there is an influx of sodium ions, along with the potassium ions ALREADY in there, so the charge of the Na and the K build up, past threshold, up to 40mV where then the K gates open, sodium close, so the sodium can't in effect escape, but the K can and by the process of diffusion they leave (from high conc to low conc) so this reduces the potential back down in to the minuses (but this is not normal for the axon membrane to have Na in and K out)----now, the K gates are slow to respond so they do not close in time hence there is a temporary overshoot.....once closed, its back down to the sodium potassium pump to restore normality in the axon, bringing back in the K from the outside and 'booting' out the Na ions which it doesn't want! thus resting potential is restored!
Original post by HopefulPharm
So no one can help me? :frown:

I've responded, hope it helps ^^^^
Original post by pepeeglesfield
ok well well just so you know (incase you didn't already) both potassium and sodium are both positively charged. They call it positive and negative as it is all relative, due to sodium potassium pump, there is more sodium out than potassium in, so they call the inside negatively charged and out side positively charged.

ok, so, normally sodium are out but in the case of an action potential---membrane made permeable to sodium, hence there is an influx of sodium ions, along with the potassium ions ALREADY in there, so the charge of the Na and the K build up, past threshold, up to 40mV where then the K gates open, sodium close, so the sodium can't in effect escape, but the K can and by the process of diffusion they leave (from high conc to low conc) so this reduces the potential back down in to the minuses (but this is not normal for the axon membrane to have Na in and K out)----now, the K gates are slow to respond so they do not close in time hence there is a temporary overshoot.....once closed, its back down to the sodium potassium pump to restore normality in the axon, bringing back in the K from the outside and 'booting' out the Na ions which it doesn't want! thus resting potential is restored!

Thanks yeah I know its all relative.

I think I understand now. Thanks.
Only thing I wasnt really sure about is why the textbook seems to say its repolarised BEFORE the K+ ions move out. It never really mentioned the last bit that you did but I think it makes sense now :smile:
Oh its funny how me forgetting to read one little line made so so confused 'The gates on the potassium ion channels now close and the activities of the sodium-potassium pumps once again cause sodium ions to be pumped out and potassium ions in.' That would explain how its repolarised :biggrin:
Reply 1597
did anyones college give them model answers for essays? :confused:
Original post by JoshL123
Hi everyone. Just wondering, when we refer to Transcriptional factors, for this specification, are we to assume that they all function as activators or also as repressors. I came across a question n the june'10 paper of oestrogen. The description they provide in the mark scheme is of oestrogen functioning as an activator, though there are no clues in the question to suggest that all it functions is as an activator. Thank you!

I would assume that when oestrogen acts as a transcriptional factor it is an activator because it activates transcription, rather than the other roles of oestrogen such as in the oestrous cycle where oestrogen acts as a hormone (and so not an activator per se). Not sure if I answered your question?
Could someone please tell what topics i could discuss in the essay ' heat and many different substances are transferred within the body and beween the body and the environment. Explain how surface area is linked to this tranfer'

All I've got is:

The importance of sa:volume ratio is regards to transfer and reference to ficks law
Gas exchange of Insects and fish and humans
Photosynthesis (adaptation regarding surface area that increase photosynthesis)

Also can thermoregulation be included but since there's transfer of heat energy but i'm unsure as how to talk about surface area since i've just learnt about the process of thermoregulation
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending