The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Beth_L_G
You need to make 16 accurate points to get the 16 marks, and mention either 3 kingdoms or points from 3 different modules to get the breadth. So if you only wrote about 3 cycles, they would each have to have about 6 steps that you wrote about in incredible detail

Your teacher has been marking correctly

Hope that's helpful :smile:

wait so the nitrogen cycle could be 5 marks then if you mention 5 points? Which you could because it has come up as a 5 marker question 8 in unit 4 before.

I thought mentioning one general section like the nitrogen cycle in a essay about cycles would be 2, maybe 3 marks max
Original post by master y
what denotes a 'point'

I was worried You'd ask that :P
hmm ok i know but i have no idea how to explain :L
Basically, in your example of cycles, you could either write 8 cycles in good detail, or 16 cycles in minimal detail (If this is wrong i'm sorry, but this is what I've been told by an examiner and is written in that book everyone keeps mentioning)

Or if it's one that asks about say enzymes AND their importance, write about 8 different enzymes for 8 points, and the importance of each one for the other 8 points

I hope that makes sense :smile:
Original post by jonnyb123
wait so the nitrogen cycle could be 5 marks then if you mention 5 points? Which you could because it has come up as a 5 marker question 8 in unit 4 before.

I thought mentioning one general section like the nitrogen cycle in a essay about cycles would be 2, maybe 3 marks max

Obviously its only a general thing not an exact rule. thats why the marking of the essays can get a bit dodgy. AQA are terrible at explaining how it should be marked, so what could get you 25/25 from one examiner could only get 15 from another :/ ( i know this for a fact as I got 18 inn my essay last year and when i got it remarked it went up to 22)
Obviously its only a general thing not an exact rule. thats why the marking of the essays can get a bit dodgy. AQA are terrible at explaining how it should be marked, so what could get you 25/25 from one examiner could only get 15 from another :/ ( i know this for a fact as I got 18 inn my essay last year and when i got it remarked it went up to 22)

Wow the last thing we need is ambiguity over what's right and what's wrong. Cheers AQA. Congrats on that good-turned-fantastic essay though!
Reply 1784
can anyone help with Q 2cii on June 2011?

Why is it 80?
Reply 1785
Let's face it, 3 days isn't enough to prepare for any exam, so I can't really say without knowing how much prep you've already done

Best thing to do is not freak out :tongue:
Don't worry about the number of papers you get done, worry about how well you do in them and learning the bits you get wrong

Essay wise I dictated all my essays to myself yesterday to listen to while cooking meals, exercising etc. if people think they would be useful to listen to I could put them up on youtube?

yes pleaseee :-D x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by samfreak
yes pleaseee :-D x

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's uploading at the moment
this will be the link apparently http://youtu.be/3FUyCnHSfpA
Original post by Tikara
can anyone help with Q 2cii on June 2011?

Why is it 80?

Because at 1 hour 8 gastric juice units are produced by nervous stimulation and 2 by hormonal. so 8/10 is nervous, so 80%
Reply 1788
I beg you guys! Stop being so good! The Grade boundary is going up like mad, if u r not thinking about others, at least think about yourself :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Heheh, just did a past paper and got an A* :smile: (Using a different essay Q though, as I want to practice the ones which are more likely to come up)

But I still don't feel confident in any of the DNA stuff or the oestrous cycle :s-smilie:
Original post by Gnome :)
Heheh, just did a past paper and got an A* :smile: (Using a different essay Q though, as I want to practice the ones which are more likely to come up)

But I still don't feel confident in any of the DNA stuff or the oestrous cycle :s-smilie:

well done! What paper, and what mark did you get? :P I'm too scared to award myself an A*, so i don't get my hopes up..
Original post by master y
well done! What paper, and what mark did you get? :P I'm too scared to award myself an A*, so i don't get my hopes up..

Was the 2012 paper, and I used "The process of osmosis and it's importance in living organisms" as the essay title. Got 60/75 for the main bulk of the exam, and my teacher graded the essay at about 18/25, so 78/100 :smile:

Definitely feeling more confident now, just wish my other subjects were going as well hahah!

How is your revision going?
Original post by Gnome :)
Was the 2012 paper, and I used "The process of osmosis and it's importance in living organisms" as the essay title. Got 60/75 for the main bulk of the exam, and my teacher graded the essay at about 18/25, so 78/100 :smile:

Definitely feeling more confident now, just wish my other subjects were going as well hahah!

How is your revision going?

snap i got the same mark! apart from 17/25 for the essay :tongue: but the thing is i had already seen some of the questions in the paper before, so i don't think its a realistic mark.. haha. My revision is ok, just want it to be over really!
Reply 1794
what do we need to know about prostaglandins and histamines?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by mulac1
what do we need to know about prostaglandins and histamines?

I think only that they are chemical mediators, and act on cells in the immiediet vaccinity of the cells which secerete them
has anyone gone through these question packs http://sciencemathsmaster.weebly.com/packs.html , would you say these are useful questions ?
Reply 1797
Original post by medicdreamer
has anyone gone through these question packs http://sciencemathsmaster.weebly.com/packs.html , would you say these are useful questions ?

My bio teacher said they looked like old edexcel questions when I showed her some i'd done. So useful perhaps but i've tried to keep focused on AQA questions in the A2 textbook and the past papers.
Reply 1798
has there been an essay about proteins yet? :smile:
Original post by currydud
has there been an essay about proteins yet? :smile:

Not in the three exam papers, no, I'm not sure about the specimen paper. That would be a beautiful question if it came up!

Latest

Trending

Trending