The Student Room Group

C2 ASAP SIne rule help needed with bearings

I have this question that has made this whole week annoying I tried and tried and tried till today I surrender I can't handle this please guys !! help
the picture of this so called sine rule bearing question
C2 sine rule.jpg

please explain a step by step cheers guys :colondollar:
You can work out the angles at A and B and this will give you angle at the light house. You know how 2 angles and 1 side which you can then use to work out the distance from A.
Original post by claret_n_blue
You can work out the angles at A and B and this will give you angle at the light house. You know how 2 angles and 1 side which you can then use to work out the distance from A.

What are angles A and B ? and how do you calculate it ? It is really frustrating I tried sketching all sorts but I wont get to the right solution Can you please go through this and make it like a worked example
Reply 3
Always, always, always draw diagrams.
Angle1.jpg
Find a, b, c, d, e. At this point, you have an angle-length pair: 100 and e. Use sine rule.

Spoiler

Angle2.jpg
Not much to say here. Because.. a picture is worth a thousand words. Use um.. trigonometry.
Original post by hosamthemaster
What are angles A and B ? and how do you calculate it ? It is really frustrating I tried sketching all sorts but I wont get to the right solution Can you please go through this and make it like a worked example

No, I'm not allowed to give you the answer. I can only help you work through it.

Let's first start by working out the angles at A and B.

You're question is on bearing. What you need to remember with bearings is that they start at "north" and work their way around clockwise to give you your angles. You already know this otherwise you wouldn't have drawn the picture correctly.

Let's start with A. A has a bearing of 163. So, from facing north at A, you go around clockwise 163 degrees and you will then be facing the lighthouse, correct?

What you also notice from the picture (for A) is that from the points north to east, there is a right angle (i.e 9090^{\circ} ). And also know that the in order to face the lighthouse, you need to go a a more degrees so you are at 163 163^{\circ} .

In other words, 90+a=163 90 + a = 163 .

Using this, you can now work out the angle in the triangle at A. Use a similar method to work out the angle at B.
Original post by Boucly
Always, always, always draw diagrams.
Angle1.jpg
Find a, b, c, d, e. At this point, you have an angle-length pair: 100 and e. Use sine rule.

Spoiler

Angle2.jpg
Not much to say here. Because.. a picture is worth a thousand words. Use um.. trigonometry.

Thanks sooo much that really helped me finally got that answer amazing you rock dude

Quick Reply

Latest