The Student Room Group

Quick Question

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering, will I be disadvantaged when applying to uni because I only study Spanish at A-level, rather than 2 or 3 languages?
I plan to apply for Spanish and Russian, would admissions officers be looking for more linguistic ability than just 1 language? I mean, I studied French and Irish for a few years but didn't do them for GCSE. I suppose if it was necessary i could improve my Irish to a higher standard...

...but it's not very appealing...

Anyway, any advice would be highly appreciated, particularly from anyone studying Mod Lang at uni who only had one language at A-level.

Muchas gracias por adelantado.
Reply 1
TheThief
Hi everyone,

I was just wondering, will I be disadvantaged when applying to uni because I only study Spanish at A-level, rather than 2 or 3 languages?
I plan to apply for Spanish and Russian, would admissions officers be looking for more linguistic ability than just 1 language? I mean, I studied French and Irish for a few years but didn't do them for GCSE. I suppose if it was necessary i could improve my Irish to a higher standard...

...but it's not very appealing...

Anyway, any advice would be highly appreciated, particularly from anyone studying Mod Lang at uni who only had one language at A-level.

Muchas gracias por adelantado.

Answer: Nope. Some people aren't able to study 2 languages at A level because their school doesn't provide for it (I think Kelly was in this situation and she's done OK for herself offer-wise :wink: ) so it wouldn't be fair to discriminate!
Don't stress, unis only ask for one language A level, so that's all they're looking for. :smile:
Reply 2
Don't worry, I asked a couple of admissions tutors about this and they all said that one A Level in a language is enough!
Reply 3
Okay, thanks very much!
Becca
Answer: Nope. Some people aren't able to study 2 languages at A level because their school doesn't provide for it (I think Kelly was in this situation and she's done OK for herself offer-wise :wink: ) so it wouldn't be fair to discriminate!
Don't stress, unis only ask for one language A level, so that's all they're looking for. :smile:

Yep! My school doesn't even offer 2 languages to GCSE, let alone A-level, so I just do French, but I still got 5 out of 6 offers. Only Becca's smelly uni rejected me :p:
Reply 5
Well done! But the thing is, at my school you can do two languages at GCSE, three if you'd like, and the same at A-level. The reason why I didn't do French for GCSE was because I preferred Spanish and thought doing two languages was a bit much, lol. I gave up Irish after three years, although all of my Irish teachers were rubbish so I never really got a chance to see whether I liked it or not.

Right now, I still wouldn't want to learn French, unlike Irish, which I think I must learn at some point in the near future, as I am Irish after all.

Will this look bad? If I say that I only do a single language because I didn't like French that much and my Irish teachers were crap? Those are the only languages my school offers, unlike some boys' schools in the area. But don't get me started on that...gah.
kellywood_5
Only Becca's smelly uni rejected me :p:

Ah well, it's not like it matters now you're going to Cambridge!!
leannemann
Ah well, it's not like it matters now you're going to Cambridge!!

*Cough* If I get the grades..... *Cough* :biggrin:
TheThief
Well done! But the thing is, at my school you can do two languages at GCSE, three if you'd like, and the same at A-level. The reason why I didn't do French for GCSE was because I preferred Spanish and thought doing two languages was a bit much, lol. I gave up Irish after three years, although all of my Irish teachers were rubbish so I never really got a chance to see whether I liked it or not.

Right now, I still wouldn't want to learn French, unlike Irish, which I think I must learn at some point in the near future, as I am Irish after all.

Will this look bad? If I say that I only do a single language because I didn't like French that much and my Irish teachers were crap? Those are the only languages my school offers, unlike some boys' schools in the area. But don't get me started on that...gah.

Who says you have to tell them you could have done more than one language? Unless someone else from your school with more than one language applies to the same college and they bother to cross-reference, which I doubt they would, they'll never know.
Reply 9
kellywood_5
*Cough* If I get the grades..... *Cough* :biggrin:

*cough* I bet you do *cough*
:p:
brimstone
*cough* I bet you do *cough*
:p:

*cough* I bloody hope so! *cough*

*gets sore throat from all the coughing* :p:
Reply 11
TheThief

Ditto, I really need to learn Irish at some point:redface:
Seriously don't worry, loads of people only do one language at school. If you do well in Spanish then that will prove your linguistic ability!
Reply 12
kellywood_5
Yep! My school doesn't even offer 2 languages to GCSE, let alone A-level, so I just do French, but I still got 5 out of 6 offers. Only Becca's smelly uni rejected me :p:

I wanted them to give you an offer. :frown:
Becca
I wanted them to give you an offer. :frown:

Awww thanks :smile: But unfortunately for me, you're not the admissions tutor!
Reply 14
kellywood_5
Awww thanks :smile: But unfortunately for me, you're not the admissions tutor!

Never mind, you're going to Cambridge now! :biggrin:

if i was the admissions tutor I would have let you in
Like Kelly I only had the choice of one language at GCSE which really annoyed me because I had to do silly subjects like RE and Food Technology when I could have done two languages, but they wouldn't let me, then when I get to college I'm obviously not good enough to go straight to A level French/Spanish/Russian cause I've not studied them previously and they only offer GCSE languages if you're resitting which doesn't make sense. I wanted to go in the French GCSE class but they just said only if you have a D/E in French already - madness.
I've applied for languages with my one A level anyway and it doesn't seem to have affected my application - I'm just making sure I know a little about Russian/the alphabet etc before I get there...
Becca
Never mind, you're going to Cambridge now! :biggrin:

if i was the admissions tutor I would have let you in

Thanks! :smile: :hugs: Now to concentrate on getting 3 As to confirm your first sentence....
Reply 17
kellywood_5
Thanks! :smile: :hugs: Now to concentrate on getting 3 As to confirm your first sentence....

You'll get them. :hugs:

Latest

Trending

Trending