The Student Room Group
Students at work
University of Salford
Salford
Visit website

How good is salford petroleum engineering?

Which one is good? Salford petroleum or London South Bank university?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Both the degree programs are not accredited, but at Salford the Program is called Petroleum and Mechanical Engineering, so you student Petroleum and Mechanical both!
Students at work
University of Salford
Salford
Visit website
Reply 2
You should apply for Manchester, Leeds or Aberdeen if you have relavant grades in your Alevels!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
If the degree is titled Petroleum & Mechanical Engineering, then if it is at Salford it is accredited by the relevant academic body - as are all engineering degrees at Salford.

If you want to go the Engineering route, you would do the BEng or MEng in that subject, if you want the academic route then do the BSc or MSc.
When you complete your degree you can apply for the extra title of Chartered Engineer (CEng).

I have just got my PhD from Salford and have been there since 2002 (BSc MSc and PhD).

As for choosing your University, that is entirely up to you.
Reply 4
Petroleum and Mechanical Engineering BEng at Univof Salford is "not" accredited yet, in order to get accreditation the first batch of students should have graduated, but as it a "new" program at Salford, it isn't accredited by ECUK, IChemE or "any" other accreditation body. It has been confirmed by the Lecturer for this course at Salford Uni, he said that they will be applying for accreditation end of this year or next year!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Bdw, the lecturers name is Dr Lateef Akanji who is one of the senior Lecturers in the Petroleum and Mechanical Eng program at salford!he confirmed that the degree isn't yet accredited and they will be applying for accreditation end of this year or next year!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
In addition, Petroleum Engineering at London South Bank Univ, is fully accredited by The Energy Institute and IChemE, but the univ. doesnt hold a very good ranking and its engineering department is rather poor as compared to Manchester, Leeds or Aberdeen. Also, I believe that although Petroleum Eng. At Salford isnt yet accredited, it is better than London South Bank! Salfords School of Engineering has a good repute!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
But I don't have good grades in my Alevels. I got a 1C and 3D in my sciences though i did good in my O'Levels. What do you suggest where should i apply for the petroleum engineering course?
Reply 8
O you did Olevels? Great so did I, well you would a good chance of getting into salford, Portsmouth and LONDON SOUTH BANK UNI, as you meet the entry requirement !

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
I would say def apply for london south bank university , they want 220-240 ucas points I think, so go for it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Its the only engineering course that isn't then. All the mechanical, civil and aeronautical courses are - Personally, I wouldn't do the course if it has no accreditation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Thank you for the Info Bro. Really appreciate it :smile:
Reply 12
No worries pal anytime

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Hi, is anyone currently doing the Bachelor of Petroleum and Mechanical Engineering at University of Salford? How do you find it? I have been reading up on University of Salford and their reputation is pretty bad. So your feedback is very much appreciated:smile:
Reply 14
Well it is a rather new program, their MSc program in Petroleum Engineering is good but the BEng isn't accredited, personally I wouldn't go ahead with it as accreditation holds immense importance to me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
I mean since its a new programme, they should probably be accredited next year won't they? I think they can only apply for accreditation after at least a year of the course has passed. Am i wrong?

Original post by numanali
Well it is a rather new program, their MSc program in Petroleum Engineering is good but the BEng isn't accredited, personally I wouldn't go ahead with it as accreditation holds immense importance to me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Yes that's correct, but again accreditation of a few universities has been rejected by IChemE recently hence I wouldn't risk it, but yes you are right, they would get accredited if they meet all the criteria

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Thanks for your reply. I had emailed the school and one of the lecturers informed me that they wil be accredited by IGEM next year. So does it matter if they are not accredited by IChemE?

Original post by numanali
Yes that's correct, but again accreditation of a few universities has been rejected by IChemE recently hence I wouldn't risk it, but yes you are right, they would get accredited if they meet all the criteria

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
IGEM is the Institute of Gas Engineers and Managers, and yes IChemE's accreditation is important, as it's the main accreditation body in regards to this specific degree program

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
What I would advise is contacting The Engineering Council UK and have a discussion with them about this

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending