The Student Room Group

Practical: How to keep temperature constant?

I'm doing an experiment for my A2 coursework using temperatures ranging from 5oC to 50oC. They need to be heated at these particular temperatures for a period of five days. We have one water bath at college and other people will need to use it during that time at different temperatures so I won't be able to use it. Any ideas? Thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by lovex
I'm doing an experiment for my A2 coursework using temperatures ranging from 5oC to 50oC. They need to be heated at these particular temperatures for a period of five days. We have one water bath at college and other people will need to use it during that time at different temperatures so I won't be able to use it. Any ideas? Thanks.

The college should really have enough water baths to do it... Water bath is only thing I can think of to do it :/ What are you heating for 5 days? :L
Reply 2
Original post by GingerJai
The college should really have enough water baths to do it... Water bath is only thing I can think of to do it :/ What are you heating for 5 days? :L

Plants.

I was thinking of something like an aquarium heater but none of them have the range of temperatures I need.
Reply 3
Hmm it's a tough one... we have to keep yeast warm for a respiration experiment but our college has enough water baths to do it :smile: I'm sure you'll find a way round the issue good luck :smile:
Reply 4
Fill a beaker with hot water then put whatever you need to keep warm inside it. You can maintain the temperature using the addition of cold/hot water as required. e.g. keeping yeast from denaturing put it into a test tube then keep the test tube inside the beaker full of water.
An incubator would be ideal. A waterbath is less ideal for heating for that protracted period of time.

Original post by jess_m94
Fill a beaker with hot water then put whatever you need to keep warm inside it. You can maintain the temperature using the addition of cold/hot water as required. e.g. keeping yeast from denaturing put it into a test tube then keep the test tube inside the beaker full of water.

That's no good, the OP says they need to maintain the temperature for 5 days.
So I need to do the exact same thing but with meat, is it okay if you explain how you kept a constant temperature? (If you went through with it)
Please help as soon as possible.

Thanks! :h:
(edited 8 years ago)
use thermostatically controlled water bath
Original post by lovex

Thank you alot for the information
Original post by kagogen 1943
Thank you alot for the information

You can use a thermostatic controlled water bath one

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending