The Student Room Group

Black tongue

Hi everyone

Some of you will be like what on earth is the thread title all about. The thing is, I find it quite sad how I have to open up to a forum anonymously to discuss this issue, I don't talk to family and friends about it whole-heartedly.

I've got a black tongue, not fully black, but the sides and tip of my tongue is black. And I still don't know why. But I have been affected by it psychologically from a young age. I can remember from 8 years old having it and not knowing why I had it, I used to believe that i had it because I lied alot (because I did as children do) and I though God hated me. Sometimes I was so confused I would question if I was a 'normal' human. Bare in mind I was young...

The reason was I was never given a genuine explanation and it was something my mum was ashamed of, she told me that I had burned my tongue with milk when I was young. I believed this for years, untill I realised it wasn't true.

I used to think I was cursed, because from my parents tradition it was more or less that. For example, if something went wrong and I was there, my black tongue would get the blame. I would cry for ages and hate myself. Thinking of it upsets me, but now as a mature individual I'm less like that because I know that is ridicuolous. But when I do have my bad days I do 'curse' my tongue.

Some of you might be like, what's the biggie, you can't even see your tongue. Trust me, you can. The amount of people that have spotted it, my friend at highschool said to me I have ink on my tongue, I laughed it off while crying inside. Another time (and this upset me quite a bit), a girl in my class showed me her bracelet which I said was nice, 20 mins later it broke and she blamed my black tongue. I had no idea how she knew...but I pretended I didn't know what she was saying.

I've recently thought about going doctors, because the most important thing is about my health. But then i always don't get why my dentists have never mentioned anything? If it was abnormal they would have. I used to think i was the only one. I would do research and 'black hairy tongue' or 'temporary black spots on tongue' would come up, but what I have specifically didnt. In fact, I even feel conscience infront of the dentist, foolishly holding the tip of my tongue back so they don't see it.

I sometimes think this is what has made me self-conscience, I'm cautious when I lick my lips. My tongue is something no one knows about, not even my close friends. I don't know why I can't tell them....I really don't know why I feel I should.

Another thing, I sometimes think no guy would like me because of it. Besides, who would like to kiss a girl with a 'dirty' tongue? It makes me feel dirty and filthy my tongue.

Someone please get back to me. And is there anyone out there who is in a similar position?
I've never heard of a black tongue, but it sounds like you ought to talk to a doctor. If you've only had it since a certain age, and weren't born with it, then it could be some sort of rare condition. I'm not trying to scare you, but I really suggest you get it checked out. I don't know why dentists haven't mentioned anything; perhaps they assumed you knew what it was? I think you get the gist - go see a doctor!
Reply 2
The condition of a black hairy tongue definately exists, but the thing is, mine (thankfully) is not that severe. Well as far as my memory goes back it was from that age, who knows, could've been born with it. I just don't know how to talk to them without getting emotional about it...
Okay, so you'd be willing to go to a doctor if you felt more confident, right?

Think about the fact that the black tongue is what is stopping that confidence, and that if you got rid of the black colour, you would have no reason not to be confident.

Could you make yourself see the colour as a trademark, something special? If you are religious, could it be that it is the opposite of a curse?

I can't empathise with you, but I know that telling someone to try and work out what it is will help you. Telling your GP would be the first step in getting some confidence. I think it's awful that people have 'cursed' your tongue, but even though I am not religious, I can see how any religious believer could instantly think that.

If you're afraid that a doctor will judge you, then think about the confidentiality of their job, perhaps specifically ask for that confidentiality if and when you go. Also, although it may be disgusting, think of the more hideous things that doctors deal with and have to keep confidential!

I hope I'm helping?!
Reply 4
Original post by carrotstar
Okay, so you'd be willing to go to a doctor if you felt more confident, right?

Think about the fact that the black tongue is what is stopping that confidence, and that if you got rid of the black colour, you would have no reason not to be confident.

Could you make yourself see the colour as a trademark, something special? If you are religious, could it be that it is the opposite of a curse?

I can't empathise with you, but I know that telling someone to try and work out what it is will help you. Telling your GP would be the first step in getting some confidence. I think it's awful that people have 'cursed' your tongue, but even though I am not religious, I can see how any religious believer could instantly think that.

If you're afraid that a doctor will judge you, then think about the confidentiality of their job, perhaps specifically ask for that confidentiality if and when you go. Also, although it may be disgusting, think of the more hideous things that doctors deal with and have to keep confidential!

I hope I'm helping?!

Thanks. Yeah, I understand. It was tradition that said it was a curse, not religion. The background of my parents etc, the ideologies they probably had from their ethnicities.

I will see if I can make an appointment, though I will find it hard expressing myself. I'd feel I have to say everything, like I have done on this thread, before they can say what it is (if it is something)
Then all you need to do is ask for them to listen to everything you have to say. It's their job to listen. I'm glad you've decided to go :smile: Good luck!
Reply 6
Then all you need to do is ask for them to listen to everything you have to say. It's their job to listen. I'm glad you've decided to go :smile: Good luck!

Thought I'd update you. I went to the doctors. She did say it was abnormal however nothing to worry about considering I've had it since I was young and it is 'just the way my tongue' is. She has however given my an anti-fungal paste to try out. This has made me feel slightly better, but not immensely. It's still 'abnormal' and unattractive.
I'm glad you went; it should be comforting to know that it's nothing to worry about. I know it's still odd to you and may make you feel uncomfortable, but it's just one of those things you'll have to live with. Be thankful that it's not more visible and doesn't impede you physically or any worse mentally.

Considering that people have noticed it, don't worry so much about keeping it secret. The more secret you keep it, the worse a condition people will think it is, and the worse you will feel for trying to hide it all the time. But then don't go around telling everyone, either (though considering your situation I doubt you'd do that), because it will attract more attention. You need to show people that you're comfortable with it, and the more comfortable you look, the more comfortable you will feel.
Reply 8
It rely shouldn't knock your confidence I am a really judging person lol but your tongue isn't something I can judge u on its just has different colour bits no worries :smile:
Reply 9
I'm glad you went; it should be comforting to know that it's nothing to worry about. I know it's still odd to you and may make you feel uncomfortable, but it's just one of those things you'll have to live with. Be thankful that it's not more visible and doesn't impede you physically or any worse mentally.

Considering that people have noticed it, don't worry so much about keeping it secret. The more secret you keep it, the worse a condition people will think it is, and the worse you will feel for trying to hide it all the time. But then don't go around telling everyone, either (though considering your situation I doubt you'd do that), because it will attract more attention. You need to show people that you're comfortable with it, and the more comfortable you look, the more comfortable you will feel.

Thank you so much :smile: I have another appointment in 2 weeks time though, she wants another doctor to have a quick check just incase... but yeah.

Original post by SannaS
It rely shouldn't knock your confidence I am a really judging person lol but your tongue isn't something I can judge u on its just has different colour bits no worries :smile:

Hey,thanks. It's not the aspect of being judged in terms of personality, but it's got to be a turn off for some people...
Reply 10
Well in primary school kids always tease others for no reason anyway they're kids, but at this age no one should say anything unless their complete depressed pric**
Reply 11
Have your tried sucking on some pink lollipops? they can temporary stain your tongue :rolleyes:
Reply 12
Original post by aranexus
Have your tried sucking on some pink lollipops? they can temporary stain your tongue :rolleyes:

I don't know if that is supposed to be a joke.
Reply 13
Original post by Anonymous
I don't know if that is supposed to be a joke.

Facetious yes
Reply 14
Original post by aranexus
Facetious yes

How sick of you.
Reply 15
Hi everyone

Some of you will be like what on earth is the thread title all about. The thing is, I find it quite sad how I have to open up to a forum anonymously to discuss this issue, I don't talk to family and friends about it whole-heartedly.

I've got a black tongue, not fully black, but the sides and tip of my tongue is black. And I still don't know why. But I have been affected by it psychologically from a young age. I can remember from 8 years old having it and not knowing why I had it, I used to believe that i had it because I lied alot (because I did as children do) and I though God hated me. Sometimes I was so confused I would question if I was a 'normal' human. Bare in mind I was young...

The reason was I was never given a genuine explanation and it was something my mum was ashamed of, she told me that I had burned my tongue with milk when I was young. I believed this for years, untill I realised it wasn't true.

I used to think I was cursed, because from my parents tradition it was more or less that. For example, if something went wrong and I was there, my black tongue would get the blame. I would cry for ages and hate myself. Thinking of it upsets me, but now as a mature individual I'm less like that because I know that is ridicuolous. But when I do have my bad days I do 'curse' my tongue.

Some of you might be like, what's the biggie, you can't even see your tongue. Trust me, you can. The amount of people that have spotted it, my friend at highschool said to me I have ink on my tongue, I laughed it off while crying inside. Another time (and this upset me quite a bit), a girl in my class showed me her bracelet which I said was nice, 20 mins later it broke and she blamed my black tongue. I had no idea how she knew...but I pretended I didn't know what she was saying.

I've recently thought about going doctors, because the most important thing is about my health. But then i always don't get why my dentists have never mentioned anything? If it was abnormal they would have. I used to think i was the only one. I would do research and 'black hairy tongue' or 'temporary black spots on tongue' would come up, but what I have specifically didnt. In fact, I even feel conscience infront of the dentist, foolishly holding the tip of my tongue back so they don't see it.

I sometimes think this is what has made me self-conscience, I'm cautious when I lick my lips. My tongue is something no one knows about, not even my close friends. I don't know why I can't tell them....I really don't know why I feel I should.

Another thing, I sometimes think no guy would like me because of it. Besides, who would like to kiss a girl with a 'dirty' tongue? It makes me feel dirty and filthy my tongue.

Someone please get back to me. And is there anyone out there who is in a similar position?

hi, my mum and one of friends had a black tongue and it's perfectly normal.. nothing has happened to them and they are perfectly normal... although my mum told me and i've heard others say that whoever has a black tongue whatever they say (like little things) comes true but not all the time... you should try it out :smile: hahah it's actually kind of true because i've seen it happen so i dunno maybe you should research that maybe you have specical powers :smile:
How sick of you.

Agreed :/
Reply 17
Original post by Jerry
hi, my mum and one of friends had a black tongue and it's perfectly normal.. nothing has happened to them and they are perfectly normal... although my mum told me and i've heard others say that whoever has a black tongue whatever they say (like little things) comes true but not all the time... you should try it out :smile: hahah it's actually kind of true because i've seen it happen so i dunno maybe you should research that maybe you have specical powers :smile:

Aw, aha:smile: This has made me feel so much better. Did your mum or your friend ever get picked on because of it? Unfortunately in my case it was the other way round to special powers!

Quick Reply

Latest