The Student Room Group

Labour Party's Medhi Hassan calling non-Muslims 'animals' in secret filming.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aoide
Arguing the literal meaning of his language doesn't change the meaning of his comments.

Actually it does if you want to delve into why he said what he said and what he meant. He isn't stupid and there is a possibility that he chose his words carefully.

He is clearly and undeniably generalising all non muslims as immoral. Firstly this is completely untrue and secondly shows a worrying level of prejudice against non muslims.

It would be nice to see some clarification from him about this. I wonder if he will.
Original post by thunder_chunky
Actually it does if you want to delve into why he said what he said and what he meant. He isn't stupid and there is a possibility that he chose his words carefully.

That's precisely why it's a problem.
It would be nice to see some clarification from him about this. I wonder if he will.

I've never heard of any white people being asked to clarify something some people interpretative as generalising, so why now when it's a non-white?
Original post by Snagprophet
I've never heard of any white people being asked to clarify something some people interpretative as generalising, so why now when it's a non-white?

To clarify what he meant. Isn't it obvious?
Reply 24

How can what he said ever be interpretted as acceptable?

He may have meant non muslims are animals or he may have meant they behave like animals but either interpretation shows he generalises non muslims and sees them as morally inferior to muslims.

What he said can't be interpreted as anything but an attack on non muslims.
To clarify what he meant. Isn't it obvious?

What did he mean?
Reply 26
"Once we lose the moral high-ground we are no different from the rest of the non-Muslims, from the rest of those human beings who live their lives as animals."

He distinguishes between non-Muslims and those who live their lives as animals.
Original post by Snagprophet
What did he mean?

Not what I meant. I meant perhaps it would be good if he could clarify what he meant.
Reply 28
Firstly, Mehdi Hasan is a journalist who writes for the Huffington post. Secondly my interpretation of that is he isn't saying non-Muslims are animals rather than they live their lives as animals. Which is slightly different. I guess he is referring to those acts he see's that aren't so moral like falling out of clubs and bars whilst paralytic and doing drugs etc etc.
Also he makes a good point at the end about Nuclear weapons.

yep. Once we lose the moral high ground we are no different from the non-westerners who live uncivilized, backward lives.
Reply 29
To those of you that says he refers to non-muslims as animals, you need a lesson in basic english. Sorry but that's the simple truth.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending