The Student Room Group

AQA CHEM5 A2 Chemistry - 19th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 280
Thank you so much!! :smile:
Original post by Nstar184
Thank you so much! :smile:

No worries! I'm just curious...are you resitting CHEM4 or is it revision for the EMPA/ISA?
Reply 282
Original post by evan almighty
No worries! I'm just curious...are you resitting CHEM4 or is it revision for the EMPA/ISA?

ISA revision..I couldn't find the mark scheme for the paper I did
Does anyone have a document they could attach of the colours of transition metal ion/complexes please?

I find learning them so hard!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 284
Original post by Tullia
Attached. :smile:

Credit to LogicGoat, as that is who posted them originally.

Thank you both. :biggrin:
Original post by Tullia
Attached. :smile:

Credit to LogicGoat, as that is who posted them originally.

Hello, pls can you help me with this question , I am a bit desperate!

Please can you have a look at question 2c )
http://papers.xtremepapers.com/AQA/Chemistry/2002%20Jun/AQA-CHM5-W-MS-Jun02.pdf

I don't really understand why it is -0.84 and not the positive value because I thought that the iron is oxidised. So 0.40+0.44 ---> 0.84 V
How come it is positive value?
Original post by Hart1995
Does anyone have a document they could attach of the colours of transition metal ion/complexes please?

I've attached a couple of links that might help you out.
Original post by Tullia

Hello pls can you help me with the question that I have asked too? Also, do we have to know about silicon tetrachloride for our spec? It appears often in the legacy papers!
Original post by Tullia

Thats great! Thanks a million!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tullia

Hello ,pls can you answer some of the questions that I have asked u? :smile:
Reply 290
Original post by Hart1995

Posted from TSR Mobile

Here is another one
Reply 291
Transition metal test tomorrow :eek3: I seem to be alright with the colours except for Cu which I just keep messing up :rolleyes: Hopefully I wont do too badly!
Original post by AmyLH
Transition metal test tomorrow :eek3: I seem to be alright with the colours except for Cu which I just keep messing up :rolleyes: Hopefully I wont do too badly!

Aww I'm sure you'll do fine :smile:
Reply 293
Is it always the less positive electrode which has a greater tendency to oxidise?
Original post by Chris-69
Is it always the less positive electrode which has a greater tendency to oxidise?

I thought the more negative electrode is always oxidised? I.e. Its an reducing agent so if thats what you mean by 'tendency to oxidise' then yes. Idk I might be wrong :L
Reply 295
Original post by Sherlockedd
I thought the more negative electrode is always oxidised? I.e. Its an reducing agent so if thats what you mean by 'tendency to oxidise' then yes. Idk I might be wrong :L

Yes, I said less positive which is essentially more negative :P . I say less positive as you could have one electrode with +0.14V and another as +0.9V etc. where by neither are negative.
Original post by Chris-69
Yes, I said less positive which is essentially more negative :P . I say less positive as you could have one electrode with +0.14V and another as +0.9V etc. where by neither are negative.

The lower electrode potential value (when compared to the standard hydrogen electrode) is oxidised and the one with the higher electrode potential value (again compared to the standard hydrogen electrode) would be reduced. Remember reduction always occurs at the cathode and you should be fine. The more reactive a metal is , the more it wants to be oxidised. Reaction going backwards, right? Makes sense now? :smile:
Reply 297
'oxidation of Cobalt 2+ by air in ammoniacal solution' can someone explain what this is please???? :smile:
Original post by JenniS
'oxidation of Cobalt 2+ by air in ammoniacal solution' can someone explain what this is please???? :smile:

[Co(H2O)6]2+ (aq) + 6 NH3 (aq) --> [Co(NH3)6]2+ (aq) + 6 H2O (l)

4 [Co(NH3)6]2+ (aq) is unstable in the presence of oxygen, so Co2+ is oxidised to Co3+

4 [Co(NH3)6]2+ (aq) + O2 (aq) + 4 H+ (aq) --> 4 [Co(NH3)6]3+ (aq) + 2 H2O (l)

Does that help?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 299
Original post by Tullia
[Co(H2O)6]2+ (aq) + 6 NH3 (aq) --> [Co(NH3)6]2+ (aq) + 6 H2O (l)

[Co(H2O)6]2+ (aq) is unstable in the presence of oxygen, so Co2+ is oxidised to Co3+

4 [Co(NH3)6]2+ (aq) + O2 (aq) + 4 H+ (aq) --> 4 [Co(NH3)6]3+ (aq) + 2 H2O (l)

Does that help?

It does thanks! I knew those equations I just wasn't sure if they were the right ones for the questions, thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending