The Student Room Group

What technology to take to uni?!!

I'm studying history at Nottingham (hopefully!) in September, and was wondering what kind of stuff I'll need to take in terms of laptops etc.
Obviously I'll take me phone, and I'm guessing I'll need a laptop to do work on. Should I take my Kindle for the ebooks - will they transfer onto Kindle? Or should I get a tablet instead for more portable work and for reading? (I really can't read books on a laptop :P)
So yeah I'm a bit unsure about everything atm, and need to get started with buying the expensive things to take to uni, and help would be appreciated! Thanks :smile:
the bf uses mostly a laptop and his ipad, but also has a computer (he is a technical geek though heh)

im bringing my laptop and netbook, along with my monitor so i can connect up my laptop with the monitor so i can see things abit bigger and also separate one screen for fun internet stuff n the other for work :smile:

i think you may need something smaller than a netbook for uni - at least for him the lecture theatre tables arent that big so a laptop seems to big to fit on the small tables!
Reply 2
Original post by JasmineN19
I'm studying history at Nottingham (hopefully!) in September, and was wondering what kind of stuff I'll need to take in terms of laptops etc.
Obviously I'll take me phone, and I'm guessing I'll need a laptop to do work on. Should I take my Kindle for the ebooks - will they transfer onto Kindle? Or should I get a tablet instead for more portable work and for reading? (I really can't read books on a laptop :P)
So yeah I'm a bit unsure about everything atm, and need to get started with buying the expensive things to take to uni, and help would be appreciated! Thanks :smile:

ALWAYS TAKE:

1) Your phone, preferably a smartphone that you can browse the internet on
2) A real laptop, when I say real I mean something that you can do proper work on. Something that runs a full browser, full microsoft office. Something with at least 13 inches of screen so you can actually work on it without straining your eyes.
Reply 3
The only necessity is a phone and laptop. The first to keep up with social side of things, and the other to do all your work on. A lot of people take tablets into lectures but personally I think them a bit of a hassle and prefer pen and paper.
Reply 4
Original post by Swanbow
The only necessity is a phone and laptop. The first to keep up with social side of things, and the other to do all your work on. A lot of people take tablets into lectures but personally I think them a bit of a hassle and prefer pen and paper.

Thanks :smile: My main problem with writing is that I have some shoulder/back trouble, so can't do excessive writing (which sucks when you're doing an essay subject haha). So do people not take laptops to lectures and things very often?
Reply 5
Thanks :smile: mostly thinking of the history books from the eLibrary, but idk if they go onto kindles or if it's just tablets and laptops?
Reply 6
Original post by JasmineN19
Thanks :smile: My main problem with writing is that I have some shoulder/back trouble, so can't do excessive writing (which sucks when you're doing an essay subject haha). So do people not take laptops to lectures and things very often?

Well quite a few people bring them to lectures and stuff so you'll be fine tbh :smile:
Reply 7
Question: how unusual is it for students to take a normal PC to their college room? I kind of have a big tower at home and I don't really fancy leaving it there... ^^
Reply 8
Original post by Elcano
Question: how unusual is it for students to take a normal PC to their college room? I kind of have a big tower at home and I don't really fancy leaving it there... ^^

You will have trouble lugging that **** to you're room.

Can anyone recommend a Kindle Fire? Are they any good? Cheaper but decent alternative to an iPad?
You will have time for reading if you want to. First year is easing you into it, if your course is anything like my maths course (I'm at Nottingham too) we didn't really learn much we hadn't already covered until second semester, talking to people on other courses it seems the workload doesn't get too big til second year so if you like reading take your Kindle just to pass the time. I have no idea if you can get your reading material on Kindle though since I've never owned one. I'd bring dvds with you because you will probably have days where you have nothing to do so films and tv help pass the time.
Reply 10
Original post by Willbean
You will have trouble lugging that **** to you're room.

True that.

On the other hand, I'll only have to do this once.
Reply 11
Original post by Elcano
True that.

On the other hand, I'll only have to do this once.

In that case then take it, but it will be a lot of weight you will carrying and that's just the computer alone, you having help going to uni?
their not very big so why not? plus itll be a great game to play when drunk with your mates!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending