The Student Room Group

Who is your favourite British politician and why?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by killabletorynonc
killable middle class student uni tory bastard alert

Nice political argument. I'm one of the few people who chooses who to vote for based on policy. I think I can safely say that you vote Labour because your parents raised you to hate Tories without understanding why.

And obviously my 'favourite' British politician is going to have to be a Tory. Labour is full of lightweights, two-faced/deceitful/slimy weasels, incompetents and borderline war criminals. Lib Dems consists of people who lied their way into power ('sure, I will vote against any tuition fee rises!'). What am I left with? There are many Tories I dislike - Gove is a disaster, Cameron is a lightweight, Osborne doesn't inspire confidence. I just happen to quite like Hague.
I've always tended to favour the prime minister with the exception of John Major and Gordon Brown.

Current PM isn't any exception though I see him as a Reinfeldt wannabe. However unlike the real Reinfeldt, he doesn't quite have the political capital and will to deliver the policies he wants to implement, many of which are excellent ideas but somewhat stalls when it comes to implementation. I think Britain unlike Nordic countries simply can't be governed by coalitions which seems to be crux of the reason why so many policies while good on paper seem to not work in the real world.
Probably the big DC. Principled but fair, and made some got some big calls absolutely right, like the EU.

Least favourites are Milliballs by a country mile.
Reply 123
Churchill, because, well, who didn't like Churchill?

Failing that, probably Asquith.
Reply 124
Original post by Ezekiella
Personally I'm a big fan of Boris Johnson because he's pretty cool, but would be really interesting to see what everyone here thinks :biggrin:

Fire away :cool:

Nigel Farage. He has attitude and is not afraid to speak his mind.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by John Stuart Mill
This is satire right? Thatcher destroyed industry.

I know this was posted a couple of weeks ago, but nonetheless, I couldn't pass it by. The idea that 'Thatcher destroyed industry' is not just overly simplistic, it's factually incorrect. British manufacturing output was higher when she left office than when she became PM; whichever way you look at it, that cannot be considered 'destruction'.
Original post by Opts
Churchill, because, well, who didn't like Churchill?

*raises hand*
Currently? Caroline Lucas, followed by Vince Cable.

Favourite of all time? Has to be Aneurin Bevan for creating arguably the best state intervention in the history of UK politics. Don't let the Tories destroy it... The vision of the NHS is a truly incredible one and needs preserving.
Thatcher... because of her style?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending