The Student Room Group

Geert Wilders's far-right PVV wins most seats in Dutch election

The far-right PVV leader Geert Wilders has won the most seats in the Dutch snap election, having surged at the end of the campaign.

https://www.politico.eu/article/far-right-leader-geert-wilders-wins-dutch-election-exit-poll/

Current projections have the PVV on 37 seats, with the social democratic-green alliance on 25, the right-liberal VVD on 24 and the centrist NSC on 20.

It is not clear whether Wilders will have the numbers to lead a coalition this will depend on whether the centre-right parties agree to participate in a Wilders government.
The polling graph for this one (h/t Politico) is wild:

Screenshot 2023-11-23 073951.png
Reply 2
Will be interesting to see how this one plays out as he’ll require a coalition of at least two others parties and Wilders does not play well with others.
Reply 3
He's mildly monocultural but I'm not certain we can define him as far right.
He’s right of centre of Islam etc. but is he far right. A bit nutty ceritsntly
I wonder how many mainstream politicians will be willing to gamble their personal safety and risk torpedoing their political career by contravening the cordon sanitaire applicable to both PVV & Mr Wilders. :curious:

I'd describe the PVV as popularist rather than far-right.
Their political stances seem to be a combination of elements of the.liberal centre, left and right of the political spectrum.
Supportive of extensive welfare provisions for healthcare & social services, pro-Israel, eurosceptic, economically liberal, anti-islamic and pro-gay rights.

It will be interesting to see whether Mr. Wilders still considers Mr. Putin as a "true patriot" and wants to "stop the ..... hysterical" phobia of Russia he alleged was present within much of the Netherlands & EU. :holmes:
Isn't it funny how we've become so used to the far-left eating away at Western society and culture that politicians who prioritise their own country along with its citizens are labelled "extreme"....
Original post by mathperson
Isn't it funny how we've become so used to the far-left eating away at Western society and culture that politicians who prioritise their own country along with its citizens are labelled "extreme"....

For 75 years, one of the core principles of Western society and culture has been freedom of religion.

The only people who want to eat away at Western values are the fat right, like Wilders.
Reply 8
Original post by SHallowvale
For 75 years, one of the core principles of Western society and culture has been freedom of religion.

The only people who want to eat away at Western values are the fat right, like Wilders.

Would you not regard France as respecting of religion. They do most of the things the party proposes.

Foreign religion should be kept in the home, one can believe and preach and practise what they like there.
Original post by Rakas21
Would you not regard France as respecting of religion. They do most of the things the party proposes.

Foreign religion should be kept in the home, one can believe and preach and practise what they like there.

Hace France outlawed Islam, have they deported Muslims, etc?

If 'native' religions can be practiced outside of home, so should 'foreign' religions. Why should one be treated differently than the other?
Original post by Rakas21

How would you even define 'foreign' religion?? Using your example of France almost half of the country identified as Roman Catholic in 2021. Catholicism certainly didn't come from France!
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 11
Hace France outlawed Islam, have they deported Muslims, etc?

If 'native' religions can be practiced outside of home, so should 'foreign' religions. Why should one be treated differently than the other?

Neither of those things were manifesto promises so far as I have read. I could not find current evidence of such a policy even via the Guardian.

Because one should place value upon the existing culture and the expectation to homogenise on the part of those who seek to practise such foreign ideals. That's before we consider the merits of encouraging the expansion of religions which do not produce many free and fair market democracies raising the question of whether or not they are a positive influence.
Reply 12
Original post by Castrovalva
How would you even define 'foreign' religion?? Using your example of France almost half of the country identified as Roman Catholic in 2021. Catholicism certainly didn't come from France!

Admitedly that's a tough one to define but if you follow our own path of religion it basically went funky druid stuff>Catholisism>Protestism.

It's probably worth noting that France and Britannia were Roman during the spread of Catholisism so strictly speaking, not foreign at the time.
Original post by Rakas21
Neither of those things were manifesto promises so far as I have read. I could not find current evidence of such a policy even via the Guardian.

Because one should place value upon the existing culture and the expectation to homogenise on the part of those who seek to practise such foreign ideals. That's before we consider the merits of encouraging the expansion of religions which do not produce many free and fair market democracies raising the question of whether or not they are a positive influence.

Wilders has openly stated he wants both of those things. He is strictly anti-Islam.

What do you mean "existing culture"? Christianity, which you presumably think is the 'native' religion, is not the dominant religious belief in the Netherlands.

The Dutch are, by majority, non-religious. No religious group makes up even 20% of the population, according to the 2022 survey.

Irreligiousity is Dutch culture. So why should Islam, or any other foreign religion, be treated differently?
Original post by Rakas21

The irony is of course that the notion "foreign" religion should be only practiced in the home is entirely at odds with British/European values that emphasise freedom of religion.

If you don't want to see see Muslims, Jews or Hindus walking down the street because they offend you, just say it. Instead you are dancing around prattling on about existing culture when you don't even subscribe to values of that existing culture.
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 15
Wilders has openly stated he wants both of those things. He is strictly anti-Islam.

What do you mean "existing culture"? Christianity, which you presumably think is the 'native' religion, is not the dominant religious belief in the Netherlands.

The Dutch are, by majority, non-religious. No religious group makes up even 20% of the population, according to the 2022 survey.

Irreligiousity is Dutch culture. So why should Islam, or any other foreign religion, be treated differently?

He may do personally but those were not manifesto committments (and by most accounts, he's likely to water most things down to achieve power). I care about actions more than words though as per Farron, i know a lot of people don't.

I myself am not religious, what I was referring to is the dominant cultural influences which in the bulk of Europe are based from christianity in its various flavours. In a century we may find that atheism has produced its own flavour but as yet, that is not the case.
Original post by Rakas21
He may do personally but those were not manifesto committments (and by most accounts, he's likely to water most things down to achieve power). I care about actions more than words though as per Farron, i know a lot of people don't.

I myself am not religious, what I was referring to is the dominant cultural influences which in the bulk of Europe are based from christianity in its various flavours. In a century we may find that atheism has produced its own flavour but as yet, that is not the case.

Right, so what is your objection? Wilders attitudes about Islam are aligned with what the far right want, to eat away at Western values.

Cultural Christian influences such as what? Freedom of religion? The kind of thing that you and the far right don't want? 'Yes, we must destroy Western values to prevent foreigners from destroying Western values'.
Original post by Rakas21

PRSOM

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending