The Student Room Group

OCR Geography B GCSE

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by gomg
Thanks, I heard about this to but it shouldn't be too much of a concern for me.... hopefully :rolleyes:

To be honest if you were getting high marks on the case studies it will actually help- which includes me as without revising too much 7/ 8 Esch time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
Hi, with the 13 case studies we need to learn being...

MEDC Tectonic Hazard
LEDC Tectonic Hazard
MEDC CLIMATIC Hazard
LEDC Climatic Hazard

MEDC Location of Industry
LEDC/NIC Location of Industry
Aid Case Study
Globalisation Case Study

River Profile Case Study
MEDC Flooding
LEDC Flooding
Coastal Profile (landforms)
Coastline Management

We've been told by our teacher that we can learn just a coast case study rather than learning a river MEDC and LEDC as well? Is that possible? She said this also applies to the natural hazards section (I've chose an MEDC and LEDC tectonic hazard), but I'm now uncertain and worried that 2 river questions or tropical storm questions will come up.. :confused: I just feel that I won't be able to revise/learn 13 case studies :s-smilie: ahhh.
Reply 22
Original post by ameliaa1
Hi, with the 13 case studies we need to learn being...

MEDC Tectonic Hazard
LEDC Tectonic Hazard
MEDC CLIMATIC Hazard
LEDC Climatic Hazard

MEDC Location of Industry
LEDC/NIC Location of Industry
Aid Case Study
Globalisation Case Study

River Profile Case Study
MEDC Flooding
LEDC Flooding
Coastal Profile (landforms)
Coastline Management

We've been told by our teacher that we can learn just a coast case study rather than learning a river MEDC and LEDC as well? Is that possible? She said this also applies to the natural hazards section (I've chose an MEDC and LEDC tectonic hazard), but I'm now uncertain and worried that 2 river questions or tropical storm questions will come up.. :confused: I just feel that I won't be able to revise/learn 13 case studies :s-smilie: ahhh.

OCR have said they reserve the right to use 2 river questions or 2 coast questions so I'd learn them all if I were you. They haven't said anything about using two tectonic/climatic case studies though.
Reply 23
Original post by gomg
OCR have said they reserve the right to use 2 river questions or 2 coast questions so I'd learn them all if I were you. They haven't said anything about using two tectonic/climatic case studies though.

Ah, ok thank you! Also, the location of industry case studies we need to learn (MEDC and LEDC) could they specifically ask us about either a primary, secondary or quaternary industry? And how specific do we need to be with the areas we're doing? (For example I'm doing UK for MEDC and Kenya for LEDC)
Reply 24
Original post by ameliaa1
Ah, ok thank you! Also, the location of industry case studies we need to learn (MEDC and LEDC) could they specifically ask us about either a primary, secondary or quaternary industry? And how specific do we need to be with the areas we're doing? (For example I'm doing UK for MEDC and Kenya for LEDC)

tbh I'm not sure about the primary secondary stuff etc because in my CGP book it just has a mind map of different work sectors and not one specific one. You should try to be as specific as possible but UK alone would be fine
Reply 25
Okay, thank you so much! The economic development section is quite confusing, so I'll just revise all :smile: thanks again!
Reply 26
for the location of industry case studies, what do we need to know about the medc and ledc we choose??
Reply 27
do we need to learn about a development where conflicts exist between economic development and environmental damage? like bp oil spill
Reply 28
NEW THREAD THIS ONE IS A MESS - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=42828227#post42828227

(Could a MOD please close this one thanks)
Reply 29
Original post by gomg

So there us definitely going to be a choice between tectonic or climatic hazards?
Sorry to post in a 'finished' thread, I would just like reassurance on this particular thing!
Reply 30
Original post by gomg
Hey I was looking online yesterday because I realised that there is 4 geographical themes, and the exam only tests you on 3, and the ones for this summer are

Rivers and coasts
Natural Hazards
Economic Development

Not population and settlement

ugh why doesn't my teacher tell us these things!!!

The January SDME was on population which covers the population and settlement area of the course. That's why only three topics come up in the exam, it changes each year :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
I completed the GCSE geography exam in 2013 and their was case studies on the paper I hadn't learnt, make sure you learn a case study for every option given !
How many marks? (8 marks)
The River Valency in Boscastle, North Cornwall, England
The Boscastle flood on 16th August 2004
Impact:
No fatalities occurred although 7 rescue helicopters were required to rescue over 100 people some of which may well have died. About 115 cars were washed down the river and dumped in the harbour. Some more impacts of the flood were: 25 business properties destroyed, 50 buildings damaged, 4 footbridges washed away a huge £20 million worth of damage paid out by insurance companies.
Causes:
For several weeks prior to the flood there had been very wet weather and so the ground and soil were already saturated resulting in rapid surface run-off which also reduced the lag time. Also there was a relatively impermeable bedrock which prevented percolation losses and reduced the lag time further.
A human cause is that stone bridges were built which trapped trees that had been uprooted from alongside the river. Because stone is so hard, the bridge restricted the flow of the river, giving further cause for flooding as it may have contributed to the river bursting its banks.
The main cause of the flood was heavy rainfall as over 1 400 million litres of rain fell in just two hours-nearly 200,000 litres a second. It was a 1 in 400 year storm and 500mm of rain fell in just 4 hours this amount is massive as Manchester only gets 700mm in a whole year even though it’s known for being a very wet city.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending