The Student Room Group

Mock results vs Actual GCSEs

So I got my mock results back before Christmas and I feel like such failure, especially after going on TSR and reading about people who got all 8/9 in their mocks.

I was wondering what your mock results were, and if you have done them already, how your GCSEs compared to your mocks, and what you did to obtain those grades.

My mock results:

English Lit- 6 (I was the most upset about this one. I cried for a good few hours. I WAS 1 MARK OFF A 7 TOO!)
English Lang- 9
Geography- 7
German- 7
Science- 6 (I do double. Got a 6 in all 3 sciences)
Maths- 5 (Never been good at Maths. My worst subject.)
Spanish- 6
Drama- 6
History- 6

I am not saying a 6 is "bad" btw.

EDIT: I completed my GCSEs and I ended up doing much better :smile:

English Lang- 8
Lit-9
Geography- 9
German- 8
Science- 9,8
Maths- 6
Spanish- 8
Drama- 9
History- 8
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I was also wondering the same thing - will it be easy to go up a grade ?
Maths-8
Lit-7
Lang-7
Biology-9
Chemistry-8
Physics-7
Geography-6
History-6
PE-6
Spanish- 7
this was 3 years back but i got a D in my english Lit mock, then and A* with full ums in the exam
and a C and D in my maths mocks I think, then a high A in my exam
.... you're disappointed with those grades? i only got one 7 and 8 and they were in english lit and lang if that makes you feel any better.
chill... These grades are good just focus on revision for Easter
Those are good results for mocks! I didn't do anywhere near as well as my actual GCSE results.

I learnt how to study slightly more efficiently after my mock exams (although still had some way to go). It also showed me where I needed to focus my study.

Just have a game plan now - you still have plenty of time.

All the best - and good luck!
As long as you study hard you will most likely go up by one or two grades. Maybe three if you work extremely hard. Most people do better in their GCSE's than they do in their mocks. You should still be very pleased with your results however.
it really all depends on how hard your tests were
In my GCSE mocks in 2016 I got 4A* and 7A and in the real things I got 11A* and 1A, however quite a few people I know decreased in grades from mocks to GCSEs- but only slightly. So what I'm saying is they are not an exact representation of your real grades but definitely show approximately what you are working at :smile:
In my mocks for when I was in year 11 (February time) I got a 4 in English Lang, 4 in literature, 4 in maths, B in geography, A* in citizenship, B in textiles, C in core science and B in additional science.

In my real exams like 3 or 4 months after mocks I got a 6 in English Lang, 8 in literature, 8 in maths, A in everything else apart from textiles which I got my predicted B and instead a C in citizenship when I was predicted an A*
My mock results were pretty good in most areas but I hope I'm not too drained till GCSEs and can do better (we were given raw percentages for subjects that didn't have the 9-1 grading system last year):
Maths-9
Lit-8
Lang-8
Biology-87%
Chemistry-92%
Physics-95%
Computer Science-95%
History-77%
Further Maths- A^
French- 79%
R.E.-96%
Reply 11
Original post by mattl1402
Those are good results for mocks! I didn't do anywhere near as well as my actual GCSE results.

I learnt how to study slightly more efficiently after my mock exams (although still had some way to go). It also showed me where I needed to focus my study.

Just have a game plan now - you still have plenty of time.

All the best - and good luck!

Thank you :smile:
My sister got 11 A*s in her mocks and one D (what a joke, right?). In her actual exams, she got the full A*s.

No point to that story, except that my mocks are right now and I'm gonna fail and be shunned by the family with the highest expectations ever ahhh kmn :smile:

ANYWAY: your grades are good. They're not amazing by any means (as in, I'm not being overly nice hahaha I'd be happy with them, but if you're not, that's ok too), but it's SO easy to go up even just 1 grade, if not 2 or 3. Find out where you went wrong. Work harder, do past papers, practice your weaknesses.

Almost everyone's actual GCSEs are better than mocks if they put any sort of effort in from January to June. Good luck!
My results are:
Eng Lit : 6(I was super upset about this, after being a straight 8 student!)
English Lang: 8
Maths: 8
History: 8
French: 6
Geography: 6
RS: 8
Computing:7
Biology: 8
Chemistry:9
Physics: 7

I'm hoping to get all 8's and 9's in the real thing.
In my mocks in jan of this year I got:
Math - 7
Chemistry - 6 (I worked so hard for this, kinda dissapointed)
Physics - 4 (Didnt study lol)
Economics - A
Business - B
Further Maths - A
English Language - 7
English Literature - 6
Geography - 4 (Same as physics, didnt study)
I want to get all 8/9 and A*s by the end of the year lmao, but to do that i know i need to start NOW, but its so hard :'(
Reply 15
My mocks

Maths - 9
Biology - 9
Chem - 7 (******** test with no revision)
CompSci - 8
History - 8
RE - 8
ELang - 6
German - 6
Business - A*

I didn't do a physics exam b/c i was ill, but i probably wouldv'e got an 8/9. I got highest in the year for bio, history and compsci (i was like 2 marks off a 9 in it), and second highest in maths.

Probably need to start working on English and German lol. Bit annoyed with German as i got 7/7/8/8 in my last mock and got 7/6/6/6 in this one :frown:
I also slept in my second English exam because i couldn't be bothered - i got a 7 in the one i didn't sleep in and a 5 in the one i did

I also barely revised so it's all good yeah. Going for all 8s/9s - the only problem subjects are German and English.
(edited 6 years ago)
i got a grade 3 in English lit a grade 3 in lang a 3 in maths a 2 and geography a 2 will these go up to grade 4s in my real gcses
is there anyone with help
Sat my exams last year. Mocks - 888A*A*A*AAAA. Real - 999A*A*A*A*A*A*A*
Did my GCSEs a couple years ago, got A*ABCCCCCEE in my mocks, and A*A*A*AAAAABB in the real thing, and I only started revising after Easter holidays - just wrote out brief notes and repeatedly tested myself.

Quick Reply

Latest