The Student Room Group

The Proof is Trivial!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by I hate maths
A nice little continuation with the theme from IrrationalRoot's problem.

Problem 615*

Evaluate x+x+x+...dx\displaystyle \int\sqrt{x+\sqrt{x+\sqrt{x+...}}} \mathrm{d}x

Still procrastinating so solution:

Spoiler

This one's nice: Problem 617*:

4x51(x5+x+1)2 \displaystyle \int \frac{4x^5-1}{(x^5+x+1)^2}
Original post by 123Master321
This one's nice: Problem 617*:

4x51(x5+x+1)2 \displaystyle \int \frac{4x^5-1}{(x^5+x+1)^2}

Unparseable latex formula:

\displaystyle [br][br]\begin{align*}\int \frac{4x^5-1}{(x^5+x+1)^2} \mathrm{d}x &= \int \frac{(-1)(x^5+x+1)-(-x)(5x^4+1)}{(x^5+x+1)^2} \mathrm{d}x\\ &= \frac{-x}{x^5+x+1}+C \end{align*}

Did take a bit of luck in trying the quotient rule and fiddling with P(x)(x5+x+1)P(x)(5x4+1)=4x51P'(x)(x^5+x+1)-P(x)(5x^4+1) = 4x^5-1, was surprised it worked out so nicely.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by I hate maths
Unparseable latex formula:

\displaystyle [br][br]\begin{align*}\int \frac{4x^5-1}{(x^5+x+1)^2} \mathrm{d}x &= \int \frac{(-1)(x^5+x+1)-(-x)(5x^4+1)}{(x^5+x+1)^2} \mathrm{d}x\\ &= \frac{-x}{x^5+x+1}+C \end{align*}

Did take a bit of luck in trying the quotient rule and fiddling with P(x)(x5+x+1)P(x)(5x4+1)=4x51P'(x)(x^5+x+1)-P(x)(5x^4+1) = 4x^5-1, was surprised it worked out so nicely.

Thats was the method that I found. Well done!
I know this thread hasn't been posted in for around a year, but I'd like to share that I've parsed the first 500 or so questions from this thread. You can find a pdf here (and also the script used if you wanna parse yourself).

It's not perfect but it seems good enough for anyone still poking around this thread from time to time :smile:. Let me know if any issues.
Hi thanks a lot!!!!!
These questions are being posted on Clean Slate if anyone is interested
Original post by CasperCat
These questions are being posted on Clean Slate if anyone is interested

just search up cleanslateeducation and you will find this amazing free website!!!!

Quick Reply

Latest