The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Who do you respect more, a bin man or a maths professor?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by James A
/countersarcasmfail

You still don't get it do you? I'm showing the views of the mass public, which is what OP wants.
Bin man.

I hold bin men very highly. It's a hard, unforgiving job. To motivate yourself to do that day in, day out must be bloody difficult, especially considering the early starts and British weather...

I'm taking nothing away from the education of a maths professor, or the role he fills at all. But let's face it, it's certainly a more comfortable job!
Both hold equally necessary occupations. We'd all suffer if any of them were to stop.
There's no point voting really, the descriptions of both occupations are already bias :/
Reply 104
Original post by LoveLoveLove16
There's no point voting really, the descriptions of both occupations are already bias :/

Biased which way? I put a good and a bad point for each.

I agree there's not much point voting though - in hindsight I would have chosen something slightly different to remove the class prejudice and training level issues and just look at practical vs academic jobs, but I can't change it now. At the time I was thinking of a bin man as being a perfectly respectable and difficult job, and I stand by that.

The question is really about what percentage of people see academia as a 'wishy-washy' middle class job as opposed to a 'real' job. This is quite a prevalent attitude - so far I'm estimating it at about 20% (of TSR :biggrin:).
(edited 10 years ago)
The maths professor.

May be unPC to say, but I respect a person more if they've worked hard or show talent in their work.

If the binman was good and the professor bad, this may sway my opinion, however all things being equal (if both were " nice") I'd favour being friends with the professor. Though if the professor was a woman, was hot and a had a good personality, then I'd date her over the binwoman lol...
Original post by wortandbeer
Though if the professor was a woman, was hot and a had a good personality, then I'd date her over the binwoman lol...

That's actually a really interesting point. As righteous and moral as everyone wants to be, I'd say the vast majority of people would subconsciously choose the partner up with someone who is typically considered to have greater social status. So, going by the most basic stereotypical assumptions, I'd say in this world a maths professor wins every time. There's no arguing with evolution really - choosing the best mate and all that.

But of course that's just when considering a partner. In terms of just 'person to person', there are other social factors to consider.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 107
Maths professor because I do A level maths and it gets very hard after GCSE level

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by anonxoxo
Maths professor because I do A level maths and it gets very hard after GCSE level

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hah yeah but have you ever done a Bin A-level?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
No they don't build up the idea that women are objects. One woman does not represent everyone. They build up the idea that women are people who can make rational choices.

Why is that devaluing themselves? Why is it 'bad'?

ask yourself, why does it have such a negative connotation in society then?
Original post by Devina-S
ask yourself, why does it have such a negative connotation in society then?

Because patriarchy exists which objectifies women and forces them to be seen as either a virgin or a whore. It's society that makes it seem negative, the act itself isnt at all really..
Because patriarchy exists which objectifies women and forces them to be seen as either a virgin or a whore. It's society that makes it seem negative, the act itself isnt at all really..

of course the act is! women dancing around doing strip tease or whatever....that in my opinion is pretty self-objectifying and whoreish
The pay for a maths professor is crap. Even at top universities it's no more than 5 figures.
of course the act is! women dancing around doing strip tease or whatever....that in my opinion is pretty self-objectifying and whoreish

Why? They choose to do that. What's wrong with it? If a woman wants to dance in her underwear why should she not?
I don't respect people just based on their job. The professor maybe an booksmart but an utter douche or the binman might be hardworking but an ass. I don't know how they got to where they are in life or their backgrounds.
Why? They choose to do that. What's wrong with it? If a woman wants to dance in her underwear why should she not?

yes they choose to do it, but by this they are actually enslaving themselves to the needs of other people. you could say this about any job but they are being "enslaved" and "used" for the pleasure of men, which I don't think is right.
yes they choose to do it, but by this they are actually enslaving themselves to the needs of other people. you could say this about any job but they are being "enslaved" and "used" for the pleasure of men, which I don't think is right.

Maybe they enjoy it? If a woman likes her job and feels happy to do it, I don't see why there's a problem.
Maybe they enjoy it? If a woman likes her job and feels happy to do it, I don't see why there's a problem.

okay, well we think differently on this :smile: at least you've given me something to think about
I would definitely respect a bin man more than a maths teacher. I think most maths teachers are lazy to be honest and they only enjoy maths because they are solving things already there rather than creating!

Posted from TSR Mobile
It depends if the bin man or professor is racist or otherwise discriminatory

Latest

Trending

Trending